Thread: Jarvis Jones

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Jones is going to be a star at OLB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steel50 View Post
    That is far from a certainty. He has a high motor but he is lacking in strength and I'm not sure he has the frame to get much bigger. His only rish move right now is to beat an OT around the end. He will need much more than that to be a star.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steel50 View Post
    I agree. I believe he has what it takes to be great in this league. He needs an offseason weight training program and a bit more experience. JJ will be just fine.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Its a sad world when being 245 lbs is considered undersized.. My SO would fit twice in that weight..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is far from a certainty. He has a high motor but he is lacking in strength and I'm not sure he has the frame to get much bigger. His only rish move right now is to beat an OT around the end. He will need much more than that to be a star.
    people always throw that wording around - either a guy has the frame to get bigger or does not - but do any of us really have the ability to make that determination sitting around watching on tv and not personally knowing these guys and working with them?

Sure, sometimes its possible - James Harrison didn't have the frame to get bigger - because he was clearly already huge and probably maxed out before he would lose flexibility and functionality.

but JJ? The dude has almost no muscle definition. If I was going to attempt to make a determination about someone's ability to get stronger, he would be the poster child for someone who I would try to say has room to grow in that department. Not at all sure where you are coming from saying he doesn't have the frame to get bigger.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    people always throw that wording around - either a guy has the frame to get bigger or does not - but do any of us really have the ability to make that determination sitting around watching on tv and not personally knowing these guys and working with them?

Sure, sometimes its possible - James Harrison didn't have the frame to get bigger - because he was clearly already huge and probably maxed out before he would lose flexibility and functionality.

but JJ? The dude has almost no muscle definition. If I was going to attempt to make a determination about someone's ability to get stronger, he would be the poster child for someone who I would try to say has room to grow in that department. Not at all sure where you are coming from saying he doesn't have the frame to get bigger.
    i too agree that he has the ability to put on weight, he has to. hes so damn scrawny.
    that being said, its an opinion. kinda like the ones that say hes gonna be a star and how they can tell he has 'it'.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

If you go around the league and look at the rookie class, did any one that was drafted this year step in and provide that "wow" factor? I'm sure there were some that had really solid years, but there wasn't one rookie on the starting Pro Bowl team and, in fact, the majority seemed to be around the 3rd, 4th or 5th year in the league with some veterans like Polamalu. It's not that easy folks, thinking that Jarvis Jones has somehow peaked as a player is crazy. If he stays healthy, I believe that next year we can expect close to double digit sacks and 5-7 turnovers created, and some passes defensed. NFL scouts do get players wrong in the first round, but not nearly as often as you think. This guy was rated extremely high last year by nearly every team, give him a chance.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If you go around the league and look at the rookie class, did any one that was drafted this year step in and provide that "wow" factor? I'm sure there were some that had really solid years, but there wasn't one rookie on the starting Pro Bowl team and, in fact, the majority seemed to be around the 3rd, 4th or 5th year in the league with some veterans like Polamalu. It's not that easy folks, thinking that Jarvis Jones has somehow peaked as a player is crazy. If he stays healthy, I believe that next year we can expect close to double digit sacks and 5-7 turnovers created, and some passes defensed. NFL scouts do get players wrong in the first round, but not nearly as often as you think. This guy was rated extremely high last year by nearly every team, give him a chance.

Pappy
    I agree Pappy. Fans are too quick to write off players if they don't produce immediately. JJ will be a baller for us for years to come. He will learn how to make those "splash" plays without being out of position. I think his improvement will be dramatic next year.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I agree Pappy. Fans are too quick to write off players if they don't produce immediately. JJ will be a baller for us for years to come. He will learn how to make those "splash" plays without being out of position. I think his improvement will be dramatic next year.
    "Out of position" seemed to be his biggest problem and early on it seemed he would aid the opponent's offense by taking himself out of position, but as the year went along he seemed to not be out of position as much and was handling his responsibilities quite nicely, all that was lacking were splash plays, which come with off season work and training camp. I think we'll see a completely different player in September of 2014 than we saw in December of 2013, contrary to popular belief the coaches aren't dolts or idiots.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-02-2014 at 04:55 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Great post, Pappy.

For all the posting we see here about how the "complicated" defense holds back young players, there is absolutely no evidence suggesting that rookies are entering the league in other systems and tearing things up, with only a few exceptions. And those exceptions (I'm thinking Alden Smith last year) are typically very high picks.