Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have the same opinion. The sacks I saw in college were "tenacity sacks" where the QB would hold the ball and eventually Jones just kept working to get to him. I can't recall a consistent number of sacks where he just beat OTs on a regular basis because of his pass rush techniques and blew past the OT. Could be wrong but we'll find out over the next season or two.
    Not that I intent to compare the two as players or anything, but once upon a time you could have used the same description...the sacks were "tenacity sacks" where the QB would hold the ball and he eventually would just keep working to get to him...to describe someone like J.J. Watt. Just sayin'.

Legend
    people want instant production from JJ....

but most of the same people scream about how it takes a few years to blossom in Lebeau's D.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Not that I intent to compare the two as players or anything, but once upon a time you could have used the same description...the sacks were "tenacity sacks" where the QB would hold the ball and he eventually would just keep working to get to him...to describe someone like J.J. Watt. Just sayin'.
    Ruthless--I'd have to totally disagree. While JJ Watt is tenacious, from his rookie year he was also explosive and could overpower blocker. Watt blows past blockers. IMO Jones will never be in the same universe as a player...not even close.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    people want instant production from JJ....

but most of the same people scream about how it takes a few years to blossom in Lebeau's D.
    I don't think anyone wants instant stardom. I've never advocated. I really expected more than one sack and I think it is legitimate to simply discuss with what we have seen so far can he be an elite pass rusher in the Kevin Greene mold or will be be a equal or lesser version of Worilds? That just legit discussion. His lack of speed and power are a legit concern.

Everyone acts like after this off season he will be able to compete in the World's Strongest Man competition. His body type is lean. He will likely never have Harrison's power which isn't bad if you have speed. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have that either.

No one wants him to fail because after burning a 1st Round pick on him it will set this defense back for years and therefore the team we all love suffers.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    I don't think anyone wants instant stardom. I've never advocated. I really expected more than one sack and I think it is legitimate to simply discuss with what we have seen so far can he be an elite pass rusher in the Kevin Greene mold or will be be a equal or lesser version of Worilds? That just legit discussion. His lack of speed and power are a legit concern.

Everyone acts like after this off season he will be able to compete in the World's Strongest Man competition. His body type is lean. He will likely never have Harrison's power which isn't bad if you have speed. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have that either.

No one wants him to fail because after burning a 1st Round pick on him it will set this defense back for years and therefore the team we all love suffers.
    I think most act like JJ will improve due to having legit reps his rookie year...

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't see why your associating gaining strength and losing speed. I dropped 25 pounds and was stronger than I was when I was heavier. If you bulk up.. then yes, you might get a bit slower but not necessarily. It depends...

I don't see how JJ gaining strength will make him slower. In fact, I think he could add a bit more bulk as well without losing speed. He has the frame to easily carry 10 more pounds of lean muscle. He's taller than most think: 6'2.
    Of course adding size doesn't automatically make you lose speed. But (as you said), IT CAN. The previous commenters (who I was making the comment toward) seem to think it is as easy as pie, to get stronger. Keep in mind, the guy has been in a major college weight room environment for years. Its not like he hasn't had the wieght room exposure already (i.e. coming from a podunk little university, I could see where a world-class weight program could dramatically increase the guy's strength).

Jarvis will gain strength; we all sort of do as our body matures (i.e. old man strength). But, I don't see him dramatically improving his strength, by simply going into the weight room.

This guy had one sack as a rookie and turned out ok:

http://www.nfl.com/player/cameronjordan/2495184/profile

Here is another slow starter who turned it on:

http://www.nfl.com/player/greghardy/496792/profile

Incidentally, these guys both started slowly despite playing in a 4-3.

Here is another example:

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertmathis/2505566/profile

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    wasn't james harrison really slow coming out of college? wasn't he too small? wasn't he too weak? didn't he only have one move? how'd that work out?
    James ran a 5.2 forty at his pro day...but did 28 bench reps

Slow...YES
    Weak...nonono

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This guy had one sack as a rookie and turned out ok:

http://www.nfl.com/player/cameronjordan/2495184/profile

Here is another slow starter who turned it on:

http://www.nfl.com/player/greghardy/496792/profile

Incidentally, these guys both started slowly despite playing in a 4-3.

Here is another example:

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertmathis/2505566/profile
    Yes, and for every one of those, I'm sure I could cite guys who started slowly in their career, and they never got better. That isn't the point we're making here (or at least I'm not). I'm in the opinion that Jones will get better, and maybe even become a star. BUT... people who are acting like it is of NO concern, that is ridiculous. How can you not be concerned a little bit?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    James ran a 5.2 forty at his pro day...but did 28 bench reps

Slow...YES
    Weak...nonono
    for only having one move (bullrush), he was weak. I don't care who you are, you can bench 225 100x's for all I care, bench press does not mean you're football strong.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu