Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You mean Kennan Lewis? He owned DeShawn Jackson last night..

If we had been able to keep him around I have a feeling drafting a NT in round 1 would be a lot more popular idea than it is now.
    Lewis was a 3rd rounder... most people want a WR, TE or DB.. I believe there is enough depth at these positions to get value in later rounds.

Some people say Lewis didnt show enough but IMO I doubt all of his talent was hiddenuntil last year and this year. We drafted the guy for a reason and its our responsibility to put him in the best position to showcase his talents.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You mean Kennan Lewis? He owned DeShawn Jackson last night..

If we had been able to keep him around I have a feeling drafting a NT in round 1 would be a lot more popular idea than it is now.
    Given the situation though (salary-cap he11), I have no problem with letting Lewis walk. To me, it is very much like the situation we have again this year in Worilds. In both cases, you obviously want to be in position to retain your young talent. But given how strapped we are, I don't like to see desperation, in overpaying for solid-but-not-game-changing talent. I think it hamstrings the rebuilding process that much longer.

We have kicked the can down the road for a long time. What we need to do, is tighten our belts and spend wisely. With Worilds, we will get priced out of the market (because we have to tighten our belts). Much as I hate to say it: We have to bite the bullet with fatso (Woodley), and hope he can give us 10 games next year--and draft a LB in waiting, who can step in the next year (e.g. Trent Murphy).

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Dizz, I saw a Steelers D that did EXACTLY what you wanted this year. Played young guys. Whether out of necessity or not, the fact is they played. Cortez, Vince Williams, Worilds, Shamarko, Jarvis, Heyward, Woods, Garvin, Mclendon, are all 25-years old or younger.

You can't play young players and then complain that they're thinking too much instead of reacting. That's what happens with young guys. Until they learn the defense (and ALL NFL defenses are complex, not just here) they'll be a step slow. I'm psyched for next year because a lot of the elders will be gone or with diminished roles, but because of the increased PT by the youngins this season, I feel like they'll be much better.

You gotta let the Keenan Lewis situation go. Everyone wanted him retained, but it takes two to tango. They even mentioned it during last nights game. He wanted to go home to N.O. and wasn't staying in PGH.
    Sorry... its hard to let go of the Keenan situation when our DBs are old as hell. LOL...

We played young guys this year because we held onto old heads too long. Its a known fact that our D is far more complex than most in the NFL. I'm psyched as well but my concern is moving forward. Will we speed up our process with young guys or stick with the same formula?

The reason I keep bringing up Lewis is because we NEVER used to let that happen. Vrabel and Woodson were the only guys we missed on D early on and Vrabel played for a cheating team. We missed on Lewis and we will continue to miss if we keep the same philosophy.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Given the situation though (salary-cap he11), I have no problem with letting Lewis walk. To me, it is very much like the situation we have again this year in Worilds. In both cases, you obviously want to be in position to retain your young talent. But given how strapped we are, I don't like to see desperation, in overpaying for solid-but-not-game-changing talent. I think it hamstrings the rebuilding process that much longer.

We have kicked the can down the road for a long time. What we need to do, is tighten our belts and spend wisely. With Worilds, we will get priced out of the market (because we have to tighten our belts). Much as I hate to say it: We have to bite the bullet with fatso (Woodley), and hope he can give us 10 games next year--and draft a LB in waiting, who can step in the next year (e.g. Trent Murphy).
    It is a tricky situation but I think you always go younger...

its a young mans game. Going old has bit us in the azz the last few years.

We drafted these guys for a reason... you can't keep playing it safe with older guys and hope for 10 games. If we continue to shed young talent we will become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL on D.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sorry... its hard to let go of the Keenan situation when our DBs are old as hell. LOL...

We played young guys this year because we held onto old heads too long. Its a known fact that our D is far more complex than most in the NFL. I'm psyched as well but my concern is moving forward. Will we speed up our process with young guys or stick with the same formula?

The reason I keep bringing up Lewis is because we NEVER used to let that happen. Vrabel and Woodson were the only guys we missed on D early on and Vrabel played for a cheating team. We missed on Lewis and we will continue to miss if we keep the same philosophy.
    I agree to a point but it seems like you think Lewis left because of defensive philosophy? That's where you lose me. I think he left because he wanted to go back to N.O.

[QUOTE=feltdizz;589105]Dukie... It comes down to youth and scheme. When I watch Carolina and Seattle I see swagger, I see players having fun, I see defenses attacking and blitzing DB's and I see players winning one on ones and gang tackling.

When I watch our D I see old knees... players choosing to stand next to a pile instead of jumping in to finish tackles. I see our DB's 7 yards off the ball chasing players instead of chasingor playing the ball. I see a D trying to trick the other team instead of beating up the other team. The biggest problem is watching players play a step slow because they are thinking instead of reacting.

I'm not a Lebeau hater...I just think the philosophy we were forced to use this year needs to be used EVERY YEAR. Our rookies and 2nd year players need meaningful snaps and it shouldn't be due to injuries or old heads finally retiring.

The patience we used with young players isn't sustainable in this new NFL. Everyoneon here knew Heyward was better than Hood... everyone on here probably would have given Keenan Lewis another shot after his brain fart in the preseason. The punishment for him was too severe given our CB issues.

There is no freaking way anyone could convince me all that game he has shownthis yearand last wasnt obvious in practice a yearor 2 earlier. We should have locked him up a year earlier.

I won't be surprised if Worilds leaves this offseason because a new team will play him all day every day and turn him loose. These kids have a limited time to make some money... they aren't going to stick with usif we stick with an outdated philosophy[/QUOTE

Well stated, Dizz. Thanks.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The key to playing D in today's game is having physical DBs who can intimidate, knock WRs off of routes, come up and play the run. That coupled with a fierce pass rush. When you have those things, it knocks an O out of rythym...and guys like Manning don't have an answer. Yes, they will exploit the deep ball from time to time, but it beats having a team control the clock and the rhythm of the game.

Seems to me you are describing a type of player, "physical DBs who can intimidate". Since those don't exist on the Steelers, they are playing the 10 yd cushion. Can't fault LeBeau for trying to adjust to their talent.

So far all that physicality, that defense is giving up nearly a first down on every pass attempt. Welcome to the new NFL. WRs are bigger, TEs are faster.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I agree to a point but it seems like you think Lewis left because of defensive philosophy? That's where you lose me. I think he left because he wanted to go back to N.O.
    I think Lewis left because he was benched 2 years ago and because of our philoshy. If we didnt make an example out of him during that preseason game I think he gets more reps, shows more and we extend him or begin talks earlier and he stays.

Lewis is at fault for his ouburst in the preseason but lets not act like this is the first time a Steeler got a penalty for losing his cool.

It is what it is.... but it burns slow because I watched Lewis ball hard last night.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Seems to me you are describing a type of player, "physical DBs who can intimidate". Since those don't exist on the Steelers, they are playing the 10 yd cushion. Can't fault LeBeau for trying to adjust to their talent.

So far all that physicality, that defense is giving up nearly a first down on every pass attempt. Welcome to the new NFL. WRs are bigger, TEs are faster.
    You know damn well we have the DB's we have because it fits Lebeaus scheme. The cushion is part of the scheme. We played more press lately, probably due to Lake being able to help translate the DL code, but overall we play the cushion because its our scheme. Lebeau isnt adjusting to talent..., the talent either adjust to his model or they ride the pine.

Seattle may give up 10 yards but they dont give up points and they snatch a ton of passes out of the air.

I can't believe you are trying to push that stat... smh.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think Lewis left because he was benched 2 years ago and because of our philoshy. If we didnt make an example out of him during that preseason game I think he gets more reps, shows more and we extend him or begin talks earlier and he stays.

Lewis is at fault for his ouburst in the preseason but lets not act like this is the first time a Steeler got a penalty for losing his cool.

It is what it is.... but it burns slow because I watched Lewis ball hard last night.

Yea dizz... it hurts... because he is better than anything on our roster right now.