Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree with every point. The 'flashes' from Jones were average plays any OLB should make. Hopefully he can grow into what he is supposed to be but if Jones can get stronger, he could pair nicely with Timmons inside. Imagine OLs trying to figure out which one is blitzing and which is out in coverage on a TE for example.
    The problem with this philosophy is Jones is horrible in coverage. Can you imagine what some of the better TEs in the league would do to Jones? Remember the crap we gave Farrior when he let Ray Rice make a 4th down catch? Now picture Jones going up against Bernard. It wouldn't be pretty. Jones will be great on the outside for us once he is comfortable enough to quit thinking and just react.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

a guy can be considered a bust until he proves otherwise.
    until he lives up to the expectations of whatever round he is drafted in, he is underperfroming and not helping the team............BUST
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    The problem with this philosophy is Jones is horrible in coverage. Can you imagine what some of the better TEs in the league would do to Jones? Remember the crap we gave Farrior when he let Ray Rice make a 4th down catch? Now picture Jones going up against Bernard. It wouldn't be pretty. Jones will be great on the outside for us once he is comfortable enough to quit thinking and just react.
    But in a 3-4 zone blitz, more times than not, Jones will be asked to simply cover the inside 1/4 (flat) zone, with over the top help. Very rarely will you ever see any Steeler LB cover a TE man to man. That is not their scheme.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookies In Focus: Jarvis Jones

Steve Palazzolo | April 1, 2014

With the offseason in full gear, it’s time to review the 2013 season, particularly the rookies. After months of pre-draft drama, it’s important to look back and evaluate the success of each position group. If your favorite team was in the market for an offensive tackle, did they take the right one? Needed an edge rusher? Which one fell to your team?

This is by no means a definitive draft grade on any of these players, just a one-year look at their role and production, and perhaps a look forward to how they might improve.

Round 1, No. 17: Jarvis Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers

Role
    Total Snaps: 646
    Defensive Right End: 4 (0.6%
    Linebacker: 642 (99.4%) *320 at ROLB, 245 at LOLB

Jones stepped right into the Steelers’ 3-4 scheme at rush linebacker, a role he was very familiar with in college at Georgia. He played in a standup roll on all but four snaps while spending time at both left and right outside linebacker. Jones played most of his snaps in Pittsburgh’s sub packages, but he also saw 213 plays in their base 3-4 set.

Pass Rushing
    Grade: -5.7
    Pass Rush Snaps: 308
    Total Pressures: 28
    Sacks: 1
    Hits: 2
    Hurries: 25
    Pass Rushing Productivity: 6.6

Despite leading the first round edge rushers in hurries with 25, Jones notched only three knockdowns, none of which came in his last six games. Like Jordan, and most other edge rushers, Jones was rendered useless against Joe Thomas in Week 12 as he posted a -3.8 rush grade, but he bounced back to beat the All-Pro tackle for two hurries in the last game of the season. Jones’ best effort came in Week 6 against the New York Jets as he posted a +1.8 grade, but that was his only game “in the green” as the game changing pass rushes were few and far between in his rookie season. The Steelers will need a big step forward if he’s expected to carry on their tradition of elite pass rushing outside linebackers.

Jones picks up his only sack of the season against C.J. Spiller:

Against the Run
    Grade: +3.0
    Run Snaps: 236
    Stops: 11
    Run Stop Percentage: 5.1

Despite a mid-season lull against the run, Jones showed well overall, finishing strong with a +3.1 grade in his last two games. There were times that he was overwhelmed at the point of attack, but for the most part, Jones showed an ability to get underneath blockers. Despite notching only 11 run stops, he did a fine job of affecting the run by defeating blockers and affecting the point of attack.

Jones stands up TE Jordan Cameron, takes on the pull block from the right guard and squeezes the gap:

Coverage
    Grade: -3.3
    Coverage Snaps: 102

Pittsburgh asks their outside linebackers to do more in coverage than most teams, so Jones led the rookie edge rushers with 102 coverage snaps. He struggled in space at times as three of his six missed tackles came in coverage and just as Jordan was able to run with Gronkowski down the field, Jones was unable to find the ball when Gronkowski beat him down the seam for a touchdown in their Week 9 matchup.

Final Word

Jones’ ability against the run was a good sign in Year 1, particularly with some showing concerns about his size coming out of college. Like the other players on this list, it’s his pass rushing ability to determine his fate, and he certainly has some work to do in order to take the next step in that department.

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/01/rookies-in-focus-jarvis-jones/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice post thanks for sharing. I expect big things from Jones this year, he showed good hustle and ability to set the edge (which was a concern). he also did look comfortable in dropping back in space, let them do some pretty cool cover 6 things

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones: 'It's hard for a rookie'

April 16, 2014
    by Teresa Varley

One of the first things a rookie is handed when he first arrives with his team for the first time is his playbook. Not one that gives you a rundown of what life will be like in the league, but instead pages upon pages filled with plays, formations, tendencies that you are expected to know as well as the guy that lines up next to you, even if that guy is a 10-year veteran. Because if you don't, it won't just be you that fails, it will be the entire team.

The Steelers' top pick in 2013, linebacker Jarvis Jones, learned that last year. It didn't take long for him to understand that what is expected of you mentally in the NFL is just as important as the physical side of the game.

"We come in here every week and have to learn what we are doing and then you have to learn what the opposing team is doing," said Jones of the biggest adjustment as a rookie. "It's a lot of information. It's hard for a rookie. The mental stage is what gets us. There is so much to learn. People expect a lot out of you, they want you to do a lot and be productive. It's a process for the rookies.

"There was a lot of mental growth. People don't see the mental part of the game on this level. They just see the physical part, the big hits, guys outmuscling each other, but the mental part is so much tougher to grasp."

Jones faced his share of challenges on the field last year, including going against Cleveland Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, who basically has seen everything teams have tried. For Jones battling him wasn't just physical, it definitely was mental as well.

"He has been there forever, he knows their system, he has been to the Pro Bowl, and he knows the techniques," said Jones. "He has seen all of the pass rushes. And he knows strengths and weaknesses. I am just trying to get the basics of it. That is the mental separation we have. I am going against him down after down and he got a step ahead of me technique-wise and all of that. He plays at the highest level of football and I am just getting there. That is the challenge we go through day to day mentally and physically.

"It's tough because everybody is good. You can't just show up without watching film and preparing. Even when you prepare your best it still doesn't always work out the way you hope it would. That is what makes the NFL great football."

Jones knows in order to take it to the next level he is going to have to use this offseason to its fullest, both in the weight room, film room and class room.

"There is always room for improvement," said Jones. "As much as you can learn, you have to take advantage of the offseason, know what to expect, prepare for. Taking advantage of the offseason, going over the things I need to learn. This offseason will be great for me to continue to learn the playbook and ask questions.

"I want to work on physical conditioning, building strength. The mental part I want to become a student of the game. I don't want to go out there and just play, but understand the game of football as far as formations and tendencies. This offseason I want to hone in on the mental part of the game so when game time comes I can look at the formation and know what's going on and not wait for somebody to tell me. It will help me play faster."

Jones weighed in on a few other things, from the 2013 season, to the pressure of being a number one pick and more.

On what he took away from the 2013 season: "Nothing is given. Everything you earn in this league you have to work for it and fight for it. Nobody is going to give you anything. Our team is unbelievable how many great guys we have and that believe in being great. We started off 0-4 and locked shoulders and stayed focused and confident and were this close."

On the pressure of being a number one pick: "Everyone expected a lot out of me, having led the country in sacks and the accolades in college. That was college. This is the big league here. I just have to challenge myself. The one thing I did do well was not get down on myself because I didn't have the production I did in college. I just understand I have to work harder than I have been."

On being a part of the storied history of Steelers' linebackers: "It's a special feeling. It's a blessing to be a part of this linebacker group. When I got drafted here and reading about the linebackers and the great defenses here, to be a part of it is special. To go through a season and do everything a Steelers linebacker does, it's a blessing. I am proud, I love to be here. I love everything about this organization."

On if he was disappointed in his sack production: "I was. There were a lot of sacks out there I was capable of making that I didn't make. Those are the small details of this game of football. It's a game of inches. I was disappointed. It drives me and will be motivation for this offseason."

[URL]http://m.steelers.com/s/30861/260?itemPos=3&itemUri=-1771147341%2F11100412144128315154211563410[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Count me in the category of fans who has little worries about Jones. It's not fair to compare him to Troy. Troy was a freak of nature, probably the best SS to ever play the game. He had skills that I have never seen at the position...he was smaller and faster. Apples and oranges. Jones will get stronger...Jones play will get faster as he learns the system. I suspect he will make a big jump this year...not a pro bowl jump but I think he will be solid. By year 3 I fully expect him to be playing near a pro bowl level. I do believe he has those kinds of skills, and expects that of himself.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I suspect he will make a big jump this year...not a pro bowl jump but I think he will be solid. By year 3 I fully expect him to be playing near a pro bowl level. I do believe he has those kinds of skills, and expects that of himself.

I hope you are right for the good of the team, but I don't see what you see that would have me believe he will be a double digit sack guy which is what he was drafted to be and needs to be in this defense for it to be good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes I believe he s a double digit sack guy. How can you judge his speed of play without him knowing the system. Rookies play in slo mo...we know that. We do this with every rook. Heyward was a bust too eh? It takes time.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Alluding to the only sack Jarvis Jones' rookie year (which came vs. CJ Spiller) ....this was my biggest concern with Jones coming out of college.

Looking at his sacks in college, they all came against RBs or stunts. I couldn't find hardly any of him beating OT's 1 on 1 other than coverage sacks.
    BUT as for just plain old beating an OT 1 on 1 ... I didn't see it.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!