Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ike and troy need to be released

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Troy needs to stay in a deep zone versus all the running around BS LeBeau continues to have him do
    Why? So he can keep guessing wrong for big plays for the other team. Brady exposed him like every good QB. Him Ike and Ryan hopefully is their last year. And take Dick with them.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Ike is doing as well as expected covering Johnson one on one. He's dropped a coup[e of easy interceptions,which is the story of his career.If he could catch the ball,he'd probably be a future Hall of Famer.
    THAT is the point. You can certainly be excused for dropping INTs that have a degree of difficulty. I will even give a pass on that 2nd INT today, which came on him a bit quickly. But that 1st one is inexcusable!

That was a 14 point swing, as they eventually went and scored. If we get the ball there and score, we quell the momentum they were able to build. It is what playmakers do. Moreover, it is what he is paid (highly) to do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike's inability to catch an INT right in his hands and chest is inexcusable. Catching the ball for a turnover is part of the job description. His dropping of interceptions that could be game changing plays are a f*cking disgrace and I don't understand how an NFL CB is that incompetent. It's not funny, its pathetic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ike's inability to catch an INT right in his hands and chest is inexcusable. Catching the ball for a turnover is part of the job description. His dropping of interceptions that could be game changing plays are a f*cking disgrace and I don't understand how an NFL CB is that incompetent. It's not funny, its pathetic.
    Yup. Its a difference between "If a DB had hands, he'd be a WR"... and catching balls that probably half of the adult men (including all the uncoordinated, obese, elderly, and generally pathetic) in the stadium could catch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am starting to wonder if he has vision problems. And I am an eye doctor!

Seriously, someone could accidently make a catch before Ike does.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yup. Its a difference between "If a DB had hands, he'd be a WR"... and catching balls that probably half of the adult men (including all the uncoordinated, obese, elderly, and generally pathetic) in the stadium could catch.
    Ike can barely catch a ball under the best of conditions.... you do realize they were playing in a rain shower all game long and WRs were dropping them left and right?? ... it would have been a mild miracle for Ike to grab one. I'm not dogging him.. to the contrary I am one of the few Ike fans left I guess. Thing is, we know exactly what we get with Ike, a smart CB that usually limits the other teams No. 1 to less than 100 yds/game, with no help. Take that any day of the week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I actually think in sub packages, Williams should come off & Troy should continue to play LB. Bring in Shark when he is healthy or Allen to play 2 deep man under. If Clark continues to jumps routes...Get his a$$ out of there & put Golden in. The biggest reason the Steelers D is giving up big plays is Troy & Ryan are getting out of position trying to make a play. When it ends up being a bad read they just don't have the range to recover. So let Troy play to his strengths & use his instincts close to the LOS where he still is playing at a high level. Get Ryan high & if the dumba$$ continues to jump routes in Cover 2 sit him down. To the topic, I believe one or both will be asked to take a paycut to remain. There is a good chance if he refuses, he may be cut.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 11-19-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

First off, I did not see this game. From what I understand, Ike was matched up one-on-one for most of the game on Johnson, without much help. He got stuck for a couple of big plays in the first half, and he was the cause of losing the game (assuming that they would have lost).

I wonder how other CBs have done so far this season when matched up alone on Megatron. How would almost any other player do with the same assignment? I'll bet you have a very small sample size to choose from because every time I have watched this guy he is not seeing single coverage, and he is still making plays. Are these people who believe that Ike is done because he can't handle the top receiver in the game alone the same ones who believe that we should have cut him and kept Lewis? How did Lewis do last season when matched up one-on-one with a team's top receiver? Hmmm....I guess we have no data for that one because he never was.

Job description for every corner is different. Whether or not you believe Ike to be a top corner, he does handle the assignments that only the elite corners do. You want to say that he is a lesser player than Revis, Sherman, whoever, that is fine, as long as the player you compare him to faces the same types of matchups. In that, he is in very select company.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    First off, I did not see this game. From what I understand, Ike was matched up one-on-one for most of the game on Johnson, without much help. He got stuck for a couple of big plays in the first half, and he was the cause of losing the game (assuming that they would have lost).

I wonder how other CBs have done so far this season when matched up alone on Megatron. How would almost any other player do with the same assignment? I'll bet you have a very small sample size to choose from because every time I have watched this guy he is not seeing single coverage, and he is still making plays. Are these people who believe that Ike is done because he can't handle the top receiver in the game alone the same ones who believe that we should have cut him and kept Lewis? How did Lewis do last season when matched up one-on-one with a team's top receiver? Hmmm....I guess we have no data for that one because he never was.

Job description for every corner is different. Whether or not you believe Ike to be a top corner, he does handle the assignments that only the elite corners do. You want to say that he is a lesser player than Revis, Sherman, whoever, that is fine, as long as the player you compare him to faces the same types of matchups. In that, he is in very select company.
    most are saying we shouldn't keep him at this price due to cap limitations and I agree. Not sure why Ike was 1 on 1 but I think it was another case of thinking Ike is better than he is... sure he is good but is he THAT good? No.. no one is and it's one of the reasons people questioned DL in the 2nd qtr. Why would he think Ike could do what no one else has been able to do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    most are saying we shouldn't keep him at this price due to cap limitations and I agree. Not sure why Ike was 1 on 1 but I think it was another case of thinking Ike is better than he is... sure he is good but is he THAT good? No.. no one is and it's one of the reasons people questioned DL in the 2nd qtr. Why would he think Ike could do what no one else has been able to do?
    True, but many have said that he is not good. Last season and this off-season people were saying that Lewis was better, but it is not even close.

The cap hit is a whole different story. I don't think that any CB is worth that because they can be avoided too easily. But do not underestimate the effect of releasing him next season. Him no longer being here would drastically change what the D is able to do.

Megatron came into last game averaging about 113 yards and 1.5 TDs per game, facing mostly double and triple coverage. He went off for 179 and 2 TDs, but faced mostly one man with a little help. Once you factor that in, Ike didn't do nearly as bad as it first looks.