Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ike and troy need to be released

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    True, but many have said that he is not good. Last season and this off-season people were saying that Lewis was better, but it is not even close.

The cap hit is a whole different story. I don't think that any CB is worth that because they can be avoided too easily. But do not underestimate the effect of releasing him next season. Him no longer being here would drastically change what the D is able to do.

Megatron came into last game averaging about 113 yards and 1.5 TDs per game, facing mostly double and triple coverage. He went off for 179 and 2 TDs, but faced mostly one man with a little help. Once you factor that in, Ike didn't do nearly as bad as it first looks.
    no... ike was bad early on. He looked tentative and his attempts to tackle Megatron were embarrassing. Not sure if Lewis is better but he is younger and plays the ball better than Ike.

The change wouldn't be drastic without Ike. Ike is a good CB but he isn't nearly as good these days as some want us to believe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ike can barely catch a ball under the best of conditions.... you do realize they were playing in a rain shower all game long and WRs were dropping them left and right?? ... it would have been a mild miracle for Ike to grab one. I'm not dogging him.. to the contrary I am one of the few Ike fans left I guess. Thing is, we know exactly what we get with Ike, a smart CB that usually limits the other teams No. 1 to less than 100 yds/game, with no help. Take that any day of the week.
    Im still a huge Ike fan and think he's essential to this team's success. And I'd say he's still one of the top 5 CBs in the game. Sure, his hands drive me nuts like everyone else. And I probably curse at him in the course of a game more than anyone else, but I think its the nature of the position. Everyone CB is gonna lose the matchup against Megatron most of the time.

24 is still one of my favorite Steelers.

25 coulda stayed home to help him out on Sunday. And I'm sure that was the emphasis during halftime. Because we adjust and shut him down in the 2nd half.

Has Ike had a handful of bad games? Sure, always has, but he has a lot more good than bad. And it's impressive considering the guys he shuts down every week. Seriously are there even 5 other CBs that get the assignments week in and week out like Ike does?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no... ike was bad early on. He looked tentative and his attempts to tackle Megatron were embarrassing. Not sure if Lewis is better but he is younger and plays the ball better than Ike.

The change wouldn't be drastic without Ike. Ike is a good CB but he isn't nearly as good these days as some want us to believe.
    Maybe he looked bad, but who has looked good all alone with CJ? Tackle attempt was brutal, but who is bringing him down these days? I think that the drop off from Ike to Lewis would be huge, and we don't rvrn know how big because Lewis has never been asked to perform the same job. When Ike was hurt last year did they ask Lewis to shadow the top guy all by himself for a majority of the snaps? No they did not. Even in New Orleans he is the #2 CB. He had a good year last season, but you have to remember the difference in his assignment.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Maybe he looked bad, but who has looked good all alone with CJ? Tackle attempt was brutal, but who is bringing him down these days? I think that the drop off from Ike to Lewis would be huge, and we don't rvrn know how big because Lewis has never been asked to perform the same job. When Ike was hurt last year did they ask Lewis to shadow the top guy all by himself for a majority of the snaps? No they did not. Even in New Orleans he is the #2 CB. He had a good year last season, but you have to remember the difference in his assignment.
    I don't think the Lewis drop off would be anything. Ike isn't the same as when he was younger. Yes, he's a leader, a hard worker and stays in great shape but he hasn't had a good year this year. He's old and it's showing and Ike has lost his elite speed. He's chasing guys more than I've ever seen. Outside of his size, his speed was his primary attribute. He's an average CB at this point in his career and you don't pay guys like that 10+ million.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Even in the 1st half, Ike wasn't exclusively 1-on-1 with CJ. Tomlin shed some light on this in in his press conference.

Administrator

User Info Menu

True, but many have said that he is not good. Last season and this off-season people were saying that Lewis was better, but it is not even close.

The cap hit is a whole different story. I don't think that any CB is worth that because they can be avoided too easily. But do not underestimate the effect of releasing him next season. Him no longer being here would drastically change what the D is able to do.

Megatron came into last game averaging about 113 yards and 1.5 TDs per game, facing mostly double and triple coverage. He went off for 179 and 2 TDs, but faced mostly one man with a little help. Once you factor that in, Ike didn't do nearly as bad as it first looks.
    Ike vs. Lewis isn't close? At this point in Ike's career, I would say that Lewis might be better but regardless... it's close.

Ike has been a staple of this franchise and several top ranked defenses. I get it. The same goes with Harrison. Let's not let homerism and person fan favorites cloud objective analysis.

Let's look at some stats for 2013

Taylor:

Combined Tackles: 35
    Interceptions: 0
    Forced Fumbles: 0
    Sacks: 0
    PD: 7

Lewis:

Combined Tackles: 27
    Interceptions: 3
    Forced Fumbles: 1
    PD: 8

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Ike vs. Lewis isn't close? At this point in Ike's career, I would say that Lewis might be better but regardless... it's close.

Ike has been a staple of this franchise and several top ranked defenses. I get it. The same goes with Harrison. Let's not let homerism and person fan favorites cloud objective analysis.

Taylor:

Lewis:

Stats are a weak argument when comparing CB1s and CB2s. Ike is responsible for the Calvin Johnsons of the world. Lewis is responsible for the Kris Durhams of the world.

I'll buy the argument about the value of a $7M CB, but how can you compare a true CB1 (in that he draws the top receiver from every team every week) to a player who was signed in FA to remain a CB2. I haven't watched a lot of NO this season, but when I have seen them I've seen Greer as the top guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Taylor:

Lewis:

Stats are misleading. Are the INTs that Lewis has a result of playing tight man coverage? The games I have watched by the Saints their CBs play more man and not the stupid 10 yard cushions and "Tackle the catch" BS that our CBs have to do that give every advantage to the WR.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think the Lewis drop off would be anything. Ike isn't the same as when he was younger. Yes, he's a leader, a hard worker and stays in great shape but he hasn't had a good year this year. He's old and it's showing and Ike has lost his elite speed. He's chasing guys more than I've ever seen. Outside of his size, his speed was his primary attribute. He's an average CB at this point in his career and you don't pay guys like that 10+ million.
    I'll give Ike a pass on Calvin because it's Calvin and Ike didn't get any support in that second quarter. We adjusted and Ike shut him out in the 2nd half.

Ask AJ or Brandon Marshall how good Ike is. All CBs get beat no matter how good they are. The position is about consistency. You get beat, you come back and perform. And Ike's always done that. And I think he will. I wouldn't be surprised if Ike in in B&G for another 4-5 years.

I blame our safeties more than I blame Ike for Detroit's 2nd Q.

Legend

User Info Menu

Taylor:

Lewis:

Look at the names and stats of the WRs they have faced. That is more telling.