Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***Rumor Alert*** Troy Polamalu could be released after season

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    $12 million is a lot for Ike, but if he is cut, it will be difficult to find a replacement for $5 million who can play at or near his level.

It's going to be a mess with a lot of tough decisions. I'm glad I'm not the one making them.
    That's the rub. And I don't think Ike is done yet... in fact I see very little change in his game the last 3 yrs, quite remarkable the condition he is in.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    That's the rub. And I don't think Ike is done yet... in fact I see very little change in his game the last 3 yrs, quite remarkable the condition he is in.
    Everyone should get a feel for where Ike is as a player this weekend when he and Calvin Johnson tangle during the game. I'm assuming that DL will have Ike covering CJ for most of the game, unless, it becomes obvious that he can't.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Everyone should get a feel for where Ike is as a player this weekend when he and Calvin Johnson tangle during the game. I'm assuming that DL will have Ike covering CJ for most of the game, unless, it becomes obvious that he can't.

Pappy
    Even if Ike plays lights out I think 12 mill is too much.

I live in Charlotte so I get to see this Panther D play and they are doing it right. They gave the DE's and LB's the big money and their front 7 is abusing QB's and letting a young secondary reap the rewards with badly thrown passes that they actually catch.

I think we are paying too much for Ike and Troy.. something has to give and NO, this doesn't mean trading Ben.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I live in Charlotte so I get to see this Panther D play and they are doing it right. They gave the DE's and LB's the big money and their front 7 is abusing QB's and letting a young secondary reap the rewards with badly thrown passes that they actually catch.

I think we are paying too much for Ike and Troy.. something has to give and NO, this doesn't mean trading Ben.
    I'd imagine both Ike and Troy would play for less. And I agree with the theory you listed above. The way to defend the big passing teams of today is not with cover guys. It's with pressure. You give any good QB in this league time and they'll pick apart any cover scheme.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I'd imagine both Ike and Troy would play for less. And I agree with the theory you listed above. The way to defend the big passing teams of today is not with cover guys. It's with pressure. You give any good QB in this league time and they'll pick apart any cover scheme.
    They paid Revis 16 mill this year in Tampa and look at the team? If they spent 16 mill on 2 or 3 players up front they would more than likely have better results.

It sure seems like the high paid CB's play on the worst teams these days.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ike will be interesting. He was restructured mid season, which would make releasing him prohibitve from a cap standpoint. The Steelers typically don't restructure guys they are planning to release.

Harrison was a prime example - most of the big contracts were restructured the season before he was cut - except for him.
    Could Ike be our solution to replace Ryan Clark? Just thinking out of the box. Maybe he makes the move to safety like Woodson did. Cutting Ike after his restructure will probably be cost prohibitive so how can we put him in a position to succeed.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Could Ike be our solution to replace Ryan Clark? Just thinking out of the box. Maybe he makes the move to safety like Woodson did. Cutting Ike after his restructure will probably be cost prohibitive so how can we put him in a position to succeed.
    I'd take Shark, Golden, or even Gay over Ike. I think they'll likely line up Shark and Troy together. DL uses his safeties interchangeably. So there's not that much difference being list as the free or strong starter. Although they could go with Golden who looks more natural in coverage to me.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I wouldn't change the entire pay formula because of Carolina. They have had one of the worst defenses in the league the past 4 years. Yes, this year is different but that's not enough to change everything. Also most of Carolina's money is on the offense. 7 of their top 10 contracts are to offensive players.

Also the Steelers are paying their front 7. Woodley and Timmons are making top money. Keisel is making good money as well. Who exactly would you pay more money too? Hood?

Pro Bowler
    Ovideo with Ikes hands do we really want him playing FS?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I wouldn't change the entire pay formula because of Carolina. They have had one of the worst defenses in the league the past 4 years. Yes, this year is different but that's not enough to change everything. Also most of Carolina's money is on the offense. 7 of their top 10 contracts are to offensive players.

Also the Steelers are paying their front 7. Woodley and Timmons are making top money. Keisel is making good money as well. Who exactly would you pay more money too? Hood?
    The high contracts on offense is the reason the GM was let go last year.

They brought in Gettleman who used to work for the Giants. They released Chris Gamble who was scheduled to make 8 to 10 mill. The last GM gets credit for picking Kuechly last year but this year they picked up star Leluitita or whatever his name is with their first round pick and picked up another DL in the second. They also traded Beason to the Giants and saved some money. The defensive backfield is a bunch of young guys no one has ever heard of...

Im not suggesting we throw a bunch of money at the players we have on the front seven. I'm suggesting we get Ike and Troy on the cheap or move on while finding more Heywards and a Hampton at NT. Go out and find another ILB who blows things up and get back to applying pressure with our front 7 instead of paying top dollar for a shutdown corner who cant catch.

That Panther D held SF to 14 yards in the 4th quarter... 6 sacks and Kap had a total of 91 passing yards. I'm anxious to see how they do against the Pats.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.