Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ***Rumor Alert*** Troy Polamalu could be released after season

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The high contracts on offense is the reason the GM was let go last year.

They brought in Gettleman who used to work for the Giants. They released Chris Gamble who was scheduled to make 8 to 10 mill. The last GM gets credit for picking Kuechly last year but this year they picked up star Leluitita or whatever his name is with their first round pick and picked up another DL in the second. They also traded Beason to the Giants and saved some money. The defensive backfield is a bunch of young guys no one has ever heard of...

Im not suggesting we throw a bunch of money at the players we have on the front seven. I'm suggesting we get Ike and Troy on the cheap or move on while finding more Heywards and a Hampton at NT. Go out and find another ILB who blows things up amd get back to applying pressure with our front 7 instead of paying top dollar for a shutdown corner who cant catch.

The Panthers have a bunch of no names who arent fast but they are young and easy to replace because they arent forced to cv
    But that's just it. They got rid of Beason (front 7 guy) which saved money. They have Kuechly on a rookie deal along with Lotulelei. So it looks to me like that the front 7 has ONE high priced DL and ONE high priced LB. They also have one high priced safety. Nobody else on the entire defense is making that much money. So I don't see the rush to pay front 7 guys. Carolina isn't doing that. They are paying the offense big money not the front 7.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    But that's just it. They got rid of Beason (front 7 guy) which saved money. They have Kuechly on a rookie deal along with Lotulelei. So it looks to me like that the front 7 has ONE high priced DL and ONE high priced LB. They also have one high priced safety. Nobody else on the entire defense is making that much money. So I don't see the rush to pay front 7 guys. Carolina isn't doing that. They are paying the offense big money not the front 7.
    I see your point but I'm also weaving our situation into it. We have money tied up in Troy and ike... I would prefer we shave that money and acquire more playmakers on the front 7.

Maybe using the term "throwing money" up front was a mistake but my point stands. I think we have reached a point where we wont see a return on our investment with Troy and Ike. I would like to see us shed some money, bring in more playmakers up front while plugging in youth in our backfield.

The Panthers paid a ton on offense and watched their D lose games. They addressed the D and now they are playing incredible D this year and they arent paying big money to their DBs and they are getting great production.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I heard Jerry Dulac say the same thing on the radio a few weeks back. Polamalu isn't the player he once was, but he is still an asset. He got fooled by Tom Brady. It happens. Years ago, Champ Bailey got faked out by Cedrick Wilson.
    Sure Champ is gonna be in the HOF but we are talking CEDRICK WILSON!!!! The man can be slowed but he CANNOT BE CONTAINED. There is no shame in that.
    Comparing stopping Tom Brady to the impossible task of stopping Cedrick Wilson shows you dont know the game at all!!!!!!!

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I see your point but I'm also weaving our situation into it. We have money tied up in Troy and ike... I would prefer we shave that money and acquire more playmakers on the front 7.

Maybe using the term "throwing money" up front was a mistake but my point stands. I think we have reached a point where we wont see a return on our investment with Troy and Ike. I would like to see us shed some money, bring in more playmakers up front while plugging in youth in our backfield.

The Panthers paid a ton on offense and watched their D lose games. They addressed the D and now they are playing incredible D this year and they arent paying big money to their DBs and they are getting great production.
    IMHO it isn't the money. It's the players. They aren't paying big money to any one area. They have one DL, one LB and one safety that makes most of the money. They have youth on DL, Lb and DB. They fixed their D by getting good players not throwing money at certain places. They have 3 high priced players on D. No matter how good they play they'd still be bad without good play from the others players.

That's the Steelers issue. Troy is having to play LB and safety. How good would this team be if Hood, McClendon, Worilds, Hood, and Allen were playing great? Regardless of the money the draft picks have to step up.

Legend

User Info Menu

ask troy to take a big cut, release clark.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is not a RUMOR ALERT, this is common sense. I posted on here quite some time ago (too lazy to look it up) that Troy will either be asked to take a drastic pay cut or not be back with the team next year. It has very little to do with his play, and everything to do with his number. This team can simply not afford to dedicate that much space to Troy when the space is so tight elsewhere. Same goes for Heath. That shaves close to $15M off of the cap for 2014. Throw in Levi and you are up over $20M.

Ike is a little more difficult because they just restructured him and his dead money hit would be close to $5M. With other players who they would have wanted to keep, why put a bigger dead money hit to a guy who you want to cut next year? My gut feeling is that they have already discussed a pay cut for him for next year. Big, but not drastic - like cutting his $7M salary by around $3M. Saves $3M against the cap and keeps the team's best corner on the roster.

Here is the big question, which will cause heated debate on both sides...Maurkice Pouncey:

It has been discussed many times that he has either regressed, or not progressed, since his rookie campaign. He also has a history of injuries, and made a few strange personal choices - tweeting about music after a SB loss, and supporting his buddy Hernandez. On the other side is the fact that he has earned multiple Pro Bowl berths, and some will claim that he is the best lineman the team has.

2014 is his last season under contract. He is due a roster bonus of $2.825M, giving him a cap hit of around $5.5M and a savings of $4.1M if cut. Velasco is not signed for nest season, but I can see him being signed somewhere around 3 years, $7.5M, with a cap hit under $2M for 2014. I can see the team parting ways with Pouncey, and doing a deal with Velasco. IMO he has been better than Pouncey, and will be cheaper to sign. When he was released by the Titans, it was under a $2.023M tender, and he is 28, so these numbers sound about right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Troy still has game and is disruptive, must always be accounted for by the other team's O. Clark will go. Trade Ike, of if not take the cap hit. Keep Troy, with a pay adjustment.