Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***Rumor Alert*** Troy Polamalu could be released after season

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard Jerry Dulac say the same thing on the radio a few weeks back. Polamalu isn't the player he once was, but he is still an asset. He got fooled by Tom Brady. It happens. Years ago, Champ Bailey got faked out by Cedrick Wilson.

I think the Steelers may try to work out an extension with Troy, at a lower future salary, to decrease the cap hit this year. I think that would be the prudent move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Understanding the $$ is a huge factor; as long as TP makes it through the season without injury and is committed to staying in crazy shape for the next few years; it would be wise to keep him as a Steeler. Shamarko has potential but is no where near Troy's league yet and wont' be next year (if ever).

There's only so many draft choices. Can't cut the entire team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think this is a big story line. I think both Troy & Ike are being evaluated. I think both may be asked to take a pay cut. I think their $$$ may be the focus of re-tooling. I think this is the offseason the Steelers will make one or two FA signings like a Farrior & a Von Oelhoffen caliber for "investment insurance & draft deficiencies" to put it nicely. They put themselves in a situation where the draft won't fill holes fast enough to get them where they want to be. Since they will fight to the end & they are showing signs of life...the may go from a Top 10 to a mid to upper teen. They might be outside the Top 3 franchise LTs & Nix sweepstakes. Fill those holes in FA with their mid tier guys & draft the Top WR & TE in the 1st two rounds. If they falter down the stretch & end up in the Top 10...Take the franchise LT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think this is a big story line. I think both Troy & Ike are being evaluated. I think both may be asked to take a pay cut. I think their $$$ may be the focus of re-tooling. I think this is the offseason the Steelers will make one or two FA signings like a Farrior & a Von Oelhoffen caliber for "investment insurance & draft deficiencies" to put it nicely. They put themselves in a situation where the draft won't fill holes fast enough to get them where they want to be. Since they will fight to the end & they are showing signs of life...the may go from a Top 10 to a mid to upper teen. They might be outside the Top 3 franchise LTs & Nix sweepstakes. Fill those holes in FA with their mid tier guys & draft the Top WR & TE in the 1st two rounds. If they falter down the stretch & end up in the Top 10...Take the franchise LT.
    Ike will be interesting. He was restructured mid season, which would make releasing him prohibitve from a cap standpoint. The Steelers typically don't restructure guys they are planning to release.

Harrison was a prime example - most of the big contracts were restructured the season before he was cut - except for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ike will be interesting. He was restructured mid season, which would make releasing him prohibitve from a cap standpoint. The Steelers typically don't restructure guys they are planning to release.

Harrison was a prime example - most of the big contracts were restructured the season before he was cut - except for him.
    Taylor's restructure wasn't significant. They needed cap space because of injuries. They only converted a small part of his base salary to gain cap space. His '14 cap number is close to 12 mil & releasing him next year clears up close to 7 mil so you could see why he would be a candidate. His base is 7 mil so that is where the pay cut talk would come in. Cutting Troy next year frees up over 8 mil. Having Ike at 12mil cap & Troy at 11 mil cap sticks out with close to 15 mil in savings based on declined play. To be honest, Ike may be approached after Troy if at all. He still is playing well. I love Troy & what he has done throughout his career but he is not very good off the LOS. He lost allot of range in pass coverage. His instincts are keeping him at good level but smart QBs will pull him out of position & take him out of being a factor.

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard Jerry Dulac say the same thing on the radio a few weeks back. Polamalu isn't the player he once was, but he is still an asset. He got fooled by Tom Brady. It happens. Years ago, Champ Bailey got faked out by Cedrick Wilson.

I think the Steelers may try to work out an extension with Troy, at a lower future salary, to decrease the cap hit this year. I think that would be the prudent move.
    I say move Troy to ILB.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Taylor's restructure wasn't significant. They needed cap space because of injuries. They only converted a small part of his base salary to gain cap space. His '14 cap number is close to 12 mil & releasing him next year clears up close to 7 mil so you could see why he would be a candidate. His base is 7 mil so that is where the pay cut talk would come in. Cutting Troy next year frees up over 8 mil. Having Ike at 12mil cap & Troy at 11 mil cap sticks out with close to 15 mil in savings based on declined play. To be honest, Ike may be approached after Troy if at all. He still is playing well. I love Troy & what he has done throughout his career but he is not very good off the LOS. He lost allot of range in pass coverage. His instincts are keeping him at good level but smart QBs will pull him out of position & take him out of being a factor.
    $12 million is a lot for Ike, but if he is cut, it will be difficult to find a replacement for $5 million who can play at or near his level.

It's going to be a mess with a lot of tough decisions. I'm glad I'm not the one making them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    People that believe this are focusing on the times he has guessed wrong this season and forget the fact he can still hurdle the entire line of scrimmage to make plays.
    I've been saying it for months. There are going to be quite a few players released. These guys, like James Harrison, do not want to take pay cuts. Unless Ben is traded this is inevitable.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

$12 million is a lot for Ike, but if he is cut, it will be difficult to find a replacement for $5 million who can play at or near his level.

It's going to be a mess with a lot of tough decisions. I'm glad I'm not the one making them.
    I agree...I think they ask him to take a pay cut. Makes that 5 year $25.5 mil Lewis deal hurt even more. Lewis got a cap hit of 4.5 mil next year but I think he took the true "Hometown" discount with the Saints. Based on play & depth...If you can only keep one you keep Taylor imo if Troy won't take a paycut. Sucks saying that. I get the feeling though that both will take some type of cut to remain in '14 & that might have DL's plans sprinkled in.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I've been saying it for months. There are going to be quite a few players released. These guys, like James Harrison, do not want to take pay cuts. Unless Ben is traded this is inevitable.
    Take on dead money of 11.6 mil in '14 & go with no QB for who knows how long or pay BB 17.9 mil? That savings of 6.3 mil can be obtained in a less destructive manner. Cutting Ike or Troy who have 1 year left of play accomplishes that and doesn't set the team back as much as trading a franchise QB who has 5 years left. Cap space for '14 shouldn't be your argument for trading BB.