Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameron Heyward

Legend

User Info Menu

Cameron Heyward

How good do you guys think Cameron can be? Anyone think Heyward might be better than Aaron Smith?

If we look at his last 3 games where he's really come on, he's got 17 tackles and 2 sacks. Those are great numbers for a 3-4 DE. If you project those out for a full season, that's 90 tackles and 10 sacks. Those numbers would destroy any production from a 3-4 DE ever.

Aaron's best seasons were 70 tackles and 5.5 sacks or 43 tackles and 8 sacks.

The only other guy I'd put in Smitty's class would be Richard Seymour who also played some 3-4 DE. His best numbers were 57 tackles and 8 sacks.

If Heyward keeps it up, he's on pace to be the best ever at the position. And he's just getting started. Granted if he keeps it up, teams are going to have to game plan around him.

If Cam keeps his pace going for the rest of this year, he's gonna get to 61 tackles and 7 sacks. Those would be monster numbers and he wasn't even a starter for the full season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How good do you guys think Cameron can be? Anyone think Heyward might be better than Aaron Smith?

If we look at his last 3 games where he's really come on, he's got 17 tackles and 2 sacks. Those are great numbers for a 3-4 DE. If you project those out for a full season, that's 90 tackles and 10 sacks. Those numbers would destroy any production from a 3-4 DE ever.

The only other guy I'd put in Smitty's class would be Richard Seymour who also played some 3-4 DE. His best numbers were 57 tackles and 8 sacks.

If Heyward keeps it up, he's on pace to be the best ever at the position. And he's just getting started. Granted if he keeps it up, teams are going to have to game plan around him.

If Cam keeps his pace going for the rest of this year, he's gonna get to 61 tackles and 7 sacks. Those would be monster numbers and he wasn't even a starter for the full season.
    Imagine how good he'll be when we have bookend rushers again (will that happen?) or a legit NT? I think the sky's the limit for him, he seems like the right kinda kid, with the right motor and the right size.

Legend

User Info Menu

Imagine how good he could be if he didn't spend so much time "occupying blockers" and could just go after the QB and make plays in tha backfield.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

JJ Watt is pretty good
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Imagine how good he could be if he didn't spend so much time "occupying blockers" and could just go after the QB and make plays in tha backfield.
    Imagine how much worse the run defense would be if Vince Williams and Lawrence Timmons were never clean and always had to fight off guards.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    JJ Watt is pretty good
    I always forget he's a 3-4 DE because I never see many Houston games and his stats are off the charts for that position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad he's finally getting the chance to shine. May he have many years of stellar play ahead of him (for the Steelers, I hope).

Legend

User Info Menu

Lets remember something about Aaron Smith. He might have been the most underrated Steeler player...ever. I know Belichick stated, if he could have one Steeler player he would grab Aaron Smith. He might be one of the best if not the best 3-4 DE to ever play the game. Stats are not a good way to measure a 3-4 DE.

With that said, I think Heyward is a different kind of player. I also think he will be streakier than Smith. He was a very streaky player in college...never really playing poorly...but having freakish games out of the blue. He owned Arkansas...never seen an OSU DLman dominate like that. The sky is the limit for him. He is quicker and more explosive than Smith. I believe Smith was savvy, and smart...knew technique and leverage...played within himself.

So to answer the question do I believe Heyward can be one of the best 3-4 DLmen ever? Yeah, he has that kind of ability. Guess only time will tell.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I like Heyward. A lot.

But, best 3-4 DL ever?

Ever heard of Bruce Smith?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Imagine how much worse the run defense would be if Vince Williams and Lawrence Timmons were never clean and always had to fight off guards.

Wouldn't be the case if there were four defensive linemen would it?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"