Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodley's Contract?

Legend

User Info Menu

From what I can see...

I we cut him prior to June 1, he will have a $16.77M cap charge instead of $13.59M. That extra $3.18M (which we don't really have, that's why we are discussing cutting him) would save cap hits of $14.09M and $14.59M in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

If we cut him after June 1, we will have a cap charge of $5.59M in 2014, a savings of $8M. The 2015 cap hit would be $11.18M, a savings of $2.91M, and the full savings of $14.59M in 2016.

The thing is, as far as I can recall, the Steelers have never released a young player who earns this kind of money with so many years remaining on his deal. I don't see it happening. The two names I'd look out for are Miller and Polamalu.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    From what I can see...

I we cut him prior to June 1, he will have a $16.77M cap charge instead of $13.59M. That extra $3.18M (which we don't really have, that's why we are discussing cutting him) would save cap hits of $14.09M and $14.59M in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

If we cut him after June 1, we will have a cap charge of $5.59M in 2014, a savings of $8M. The 2015 cap hit would be $11.18M, a savings of $2.91M, and the full savings of $14.59M in 2016.

The thing is, as far as I can recall, the Steelers have never released a young player who earns this kind of money with so many years remaining on his deal. I don't see it happening. The two names I'd look out for are Miller and Polamalu.
    Interesting info. Its why I don't know nathan about the salary cap stuff, because there are so many contingencies and stipulations...

I agree, that the Steelers don't usually do that to young-ish players. Also, even though we all know Woodley isn't the player worth that dollar amount, he can't be asked to paycut either (like most of the other vets will). After all, he is on pace statistically for a "good season" (i.e. double-digit sacks).

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley has a big number to begin with and has been restructured. He's almost impossible to cut. If he is cut, not only is there the dead money, there is also the cost of a replacement.

The only scenario that works out well for the Steelers is for Woodley to continue playing well.

If the Steelers cut or traded Ben, Antonio Brown, Timmons or Woodley, it would be very ugly from a cap perspective. Tons of dead money. Ike was restructured mid season to free up some money, so cutting him would also be prohibitive next year.

The problem with the restructures is that they push bonus money into future years, making the dead money hit very prohibitive.

To free up cap space next year, some guys will not be back. The Steelers would also be well served to extend Miller and Polamalu - a few years, lower base pay, to spread out the impact of bonuses.

Legend

User Info Menu

After all, he is on pace statistically for a "good season" (i.e. double-digit sacks).
    No he isn't, he has 5 sacks through 9 games.

It just kills to have a guy due tons of cash w/o the production to match.
    At least with Troy there's always a chance he'll make a few special plays per game or change one

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you guys covered it. His cap number for 2014 is almost 13.6. Cutting him before June 1st doesn't save the Steelers any money...+ $580,000. I don't think Woodley is going anywhere for 2014 and he has been playing good ball. The business tells me you look at him after the 2014 season where cutting him saves 8.5 mil & he walks away with 2.6 mil of original bonus at 30 years old. Woodley is right in that area of "Peak" with his experience & athletic ability. I think his play over this year & next could make him "One on the chopping block".

On another note, I think they may try & retain Worilds with a low offer. He may not take it & see whats out there but I think the Steelers at least should. They need a 3rd plug & play OLB & I haven't heard a peep about Chris Carter. I think alot of that depends on if JJ makes a signficant jump down the stretch. He has to show something for the Steelers to feel 100% confident he is an every down OLB for 2014. Flashes are there & he will benefit from an offeseason program. They just can't be confident with that scenario right now from what he has shown over 9 games. Perhaps they sign a second tier FA OLB for insurance & let Worilds walk if he wants too much. Either way...They will need another with some experience. Can't rely on a rookie in the 2014 draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess it's just a matter of opinion but i don't think Woodley is playing up to his contract this year.
    Maybe it's just me but i don't miss a snap except when i turned off the game against the Pats in the 4th quarter.
    BTW, whats Woodley's injury status?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I guess it's just a matter of opinion but i don't think Woodley is playing up to his contract this year.
    Maybe it's just me but i don't miss a snap except when i turned off the game against the Pats in the 4th quarter.
    BTW, whats Woodley's injury status?
    Matter of opinion is it I would say. I don't miss a snap either. I see him getting lots of pressure that his "stats" don't show. I think your "not playing up to his contract this year" has a lot to do with the start & 3-6. If they were 6-3 maybe that would sway how you feel. He does lead the Steelers in sacks. Sad thing is he has 31% of the sacks and he totals what all other LBs have combined. I would put Troy, Ike, & Ryan ahead of him in the "not playing up to his contract this year" list. Woodley would be on it...Because 3-6 makes that list long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Matter of opinion is it I would say. I don't miss a snap either. I see him getting lots of pressure that his "stats" don't show. I think your "not playing up to his contract this year" has a lot to do with the start & 3-6. If they were 6-3 maybe that would sway how you feel. He does lead the Steelers in sacks. Sad thing is he has 31% of the sacks and he totals what all other LBs have combined. I would put Troy, Ike, & Ryan ahead of him in the "not playing up to his contract this year" list. Woodley would be on it...Because 3-6 makes that list long.
    I agree that Wood is playing better than the stats say he is. He gets a lot of pressure, but it is easy for the QB to avoid it because there is so much room to move in the pocket. The pocket is not otherwise closing in, so no results. If there was any other push at all, Woodley would either have more sacks, or would have fed the QB into another rusher for a sack, hurry etc.

If you want to say that he is not living up to a $9M cap hit, that is ok, but he is much closer than others. Worse offenders include Clark - $4.75M, Timmons - $5.816M, Miller - almost $8M...and of course Harrison - $4.93M, and Colon - $2.15M.
    Last edited by steeler_fan_in_t.o.; 11-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    On another note, I think they may try & retain Worilds with a low offer. He may not take it & see whats out there but I think the Steelers at least should. They need a 3rd plug & play OLB & I haven't heard a peep about Chris Carter. I think alot of that depends on if JJ makes a signficant jump down the stretch. He has to show something for the Steelers to feel 100% confident he is an every down OLB for 2014. Flashes are there & he will benefit from an offeseason program. They just can't be confident with that scenario right now from what he has shown over 9 games. Perhaps they sign a second tier FA OLB for insurance & let Worilds walk if he wants too much. Either way...They will need another with some experience. Can't rely on a rookie in the 2014 draft.
    I agree completely. Woodley has not been the most durable, and having a viable option to replace him or to provide insurance for Jones would be quite prudent. Lebeau had installed a package with Worilds, Woodley and Jones on the field at the same time in an effort to boost the pass rush that had to be scuttled when Woodley got hurt.

If the Steelers can retain him reasonably, they should.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree that Wood is playing better than the stats say he is. He gets a lot of pressure, but it is easy for the QB to avoid it because there is so much room to move in the pocket. The pocket is not otherwise closing in, so no results. If there was any other push at all, Woodley would either have more sacks, or would have fed the QB into another rusher for a sack, hurry etc.

If you want to say that he is not living up to a $9M cap hit, that is ok, but he is much closer than others. Worse offenders include Clark - $4.75M, Timmons - $5.816M, Miller - almost $8M...and of course Harrison - $4.93M, and Colon - $2.15M.
    Right on the money. You can't really have a one man pass rush, especially from the strong side.

Woodley might not be worth his cap hit, but he is close.