Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deal with it: AJ Mccarron leading Bama to third straight title

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Deal with it: AJ Mccarron leading Bama to third straight title

Great article on the Bama QB. Another big game and another big performance for McCarron. Here are view things from this SI article.

Want to beat Alabama? Wait until next season, when AJ McCarron, college football’s best big game quarterback, is playing in the NFL.
    [URL="http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-11-10/alabama-vs-lsu-aj-mccarron-nick-saban-bcs-championship-sec-west-auburn"]
    Talk all you want about the stout Alabama defense and the punishing running game, and how the Tide are a complete team. They’re not winning games that matter without McCarron.

No one plays bigger in the biggest moments than McCarron.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-11-10/alabama-vs-lsu-aj-mccarron-nick-saban-bcs-championship-sec-west-auburn[/URL]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Please move this to another forum please..
    Ben isn't going anywhere so please let it rest.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Please move this to another forum please..
    Ben isn't going anywhere so please let it rest.
    Maybe so but in my opinion that would be a huge mistake for the Steelers. The importance of having a franchise QB seems to diminish when you look at the fact this team is 11-14 in the past year and half with one. The fact that Ben will 32, is on the backside of his prime, has taken an enormous amount of punishment, has been injury prone the past couple of years, the fact that the Steelers are way over the cap this coming off season (more than they have ever been) , the fact that the Steelers can get some relief from the cap by trading him, and the fact that this team has far too many holes to fill on both sides of the ball.

How that would be a mistake is beyond me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whether it's a mistake or not, only time will tell.
    We currently have a franchise caliber QB.
    Announcers were talking about Ben being in his prime right now, at the ripe old age of 31.
    "I'd retire before I'd accept a trade," Roethlisberger said. "I mean, it would have to be something really, really unbelievable for me to even consider it. I have talked to my wife about that. I don't want to be anywhere else. This is where we want to be."
    Additionally, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger went up to both team president Art Rooney II and team owner Dan Rooney and apologized for the rumor
    "I'm so sorry," Roethlisberger apparently told the Rooneys. "This stuff didn't come from me or my people. There's absolutely no truth to it. It's ridiculous. It's one of the most BS stories that I've ever heard."
    I don't want to have to endure another 20 years of this team not having a QB.
    I'd rather take my chances with what we have than a projected NFL future QB.
    Haley goes before Ben and i honestly don't know what Rooney is waiting for.
    I'd turn the offense over to Kirby and play it out for the rest of the year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I also don't believe there are too many holes too fill on both sides of the ball.
    Call me a homer,yinzer,etc......but when it comes to the Steelers i'm probably as negative and pessimistic as the next guy.
    Get a solid LT next year and not a draft pick.
    Woodley is not worth his contract and is often injured.
    Clark gone
    Troy goes to FS.
    Thomas to SS
    Obviosly we are staying with the 3-4 so:
    Get a fireplug at NT, and not a beefed up McClendon.
    Bye Ziggy
    Don't need Ike if we continue to play with 10 yard cushions
    Jones on the right
    Resign Worilds for cheap on the left
    Timmons and Williams stay on the inside.
    Not saying it's going to be so easy, but there are NFL teams that are worse off than us.
    IMHO it all starts with canning Haley and saying goodbye to high priced contracts like Ike and Woodley if it's possible.
    Troy is still a playmaker on defense so he stays...

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought the master plan last year was taking Landry so we could develop/use him as trade bait for a team that needed a franchise QB. Why do we have to draft another backup QB if you want to trade Ben? Why not just see what Landry can do? I thought he had all this value last year and we got a steal in him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Whether it's a mistake or not, only time will tell.
    We currently have a franchise caliber QB.
    Announcers were talking about Ben being in his prime right now, at the ripe old age of 31.

I don't want to have to endure another 20 years of this team not having a QB.
    I'd rather take my chances with what we have than a projected NFL future QB.
    Haley goes before Ben and i honestly don't know what Rooney is waiting for.
    I'd turn the offense over to Kirby and play it out for the rest of the year.
    Ben's performance on the field (statistics), and his injuries the past two years show he is not in his prime right now. More like the back end of his prime.

But this thread isn't about Ben Roethlisberger. It's about AJ McCarron.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also don't believe there are too many holes too fill on both sides of the ball.
    Call me a homer,yinzer,etc......but when it comes to the Steelers i'm probably as negative and pessimistic as the next guy.
    Get a solid LT next year and not a draft pick.
    Woodley is not worth his contract and is often injured.
    Clark gone
    Troy goes to FS.
    Thomas to SS
    Obviosly we are staying with the 3-4 so:
    Get a fireplug at NT, and not a beefed up McClendon.
    Bye Ziggy
    Don't need Ike if we continue to play with 10 yard cushions
    Jones on the right
    Resign Worilds for cheap on the left
    Timmons and Williams stay on the inside.
    Not saying it's going to be so easy, but there are NFL teams that are worse off than us.
    IMHO it all starts with canning Haley and saying goodbye to high priced contracts like Ike and Woodley if it's possible.
    Troy is still a playmaker on defense so he stays...
    Troy is not a FS. He has issues covering in the deep zone. In or near the box and LOS he's great, but in a deeper, larger part of the field he is not what you want in coverage.

So now you need a FS, CB, NT, DE, OG, OT, WR, and TE.

And the jury is still out on ILB (Williams), RB (Bell), and OLB if the Steelers choose to have Worilds play and let Woodley go.

And with the cap being at it worst ever this coming off season, there are going to have to be some cuts to some veterans. Maybe Ike? Troy? That is going to create more holes.

It is going to take a long time to fill all of these or enough to where they are in a position to compete. And by then Ben's window is completely closed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I thought the master plan last year was taking Landry so we could develop/use him as trade bait for a team that needed a franchise QB. Why do we have to draft another backup QB if you want to trade Ben? Why not just see what Landry can do? I thought he had all this value last year and we got a steal in him.
    If we trade Ben, and have AJ McCarron, he starts from day one. He is the most pro ready. We are talking about a 4 years starter who has played probably the most big games as any college QB ever.

He isnt going to be given the keys of the offense. Just like when they had Ben as a rookie. It will be a lot like how he has been used at Alabama. Power run game and a dominant defense. This kid can win with that. No doubt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ohio St. will have something to say about " 'Bama' " being #1. No need to argue, just wait and see.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S