Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foster Has High Ankle Sprain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Foster Has High Ankle Sprain

According to Rotoworld:

Steelers LG Ramon Foster suffered a high-ankle sprain in Sunday's win, and will be sidelined a "couple weeks."

The Steelers' offensive line continues to be stunningly injury prone. Foster dealt with a pectoral strain earlier this season, but Sunday will be the first start he's missed. Guy Whimper filled in for Foster against the Bills, and will likely get the start against the Lions. Foster has graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 8 left guard this season, so it's not good news for Le'Veon Bell.
    Quite surprised to see that Foster graded out that highly. I always thought he was at least average, but that puts him among the top 25% of players at his position. Not too shabby.

Legend

User Info Menu

"The Steelers' offensive line continues to be stunningly injury prone." This is becoming a stunning understatement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just as he's been getting really good. I've been watching Foster closely since he manhandled Ngata one on one and he's been our best Olineman consistently. I still think he's a little tall to be playing G, but he's starting to make it work.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I always wanted to move him out to LT to see what he could do. I think our future LT is already on this roster. I know I'm in the minority, but between Foster, Levi Brown, and Adams, we have a LT somewhere in that mix. The OL will continue to gel as 2013 goes along and will be a strong part of the team in 2014 and beyond. I'd kick Pouncey out to LG and keep Velasco at C.The right side is fine as-is..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I always wanted to move him out to LT to see what he could do. I think our future LT is already on this roster. I know I'm in the minority, but between Foster, Levi Brown, and Adams, we have a LT somewhere in that mix. The OL will continue to gel as 2013 goes along and will be a strong part of the team in 2014 and beyond. I'd kick Pouncey out to LG and keep Velasco at C.The right side is fine as-is..
    There is definitely a LT in that mix; he just isn't above the line for the NFL.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

People were dogging Foster pretty awful early on in his career, but I personally thought he showed promised almost from the get-go. He is definitely rounding into a quality guard, and as you say he may be able to handle tackle duty in a pinch. Something tells me a "pinch" may be coming sooner rather than later at the rate they are falling.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

foster has always been solid and provided the steelers great value in terms of cap dollars spent.

he has one very loud critic here, who has been wrong all along about this kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    foster has always been solid and provided the steelers great value in terms of cap dollars spent.

he has one very loud critic here, who has been wrong all along about this kid.
    In fairness, he wasn't great from the start of his career. IMHO his size/height has worked a little against him inside. His struggle has been leverage against some big DTs who have been able to get up under him and I still think he's better suited to play T. And he's probably better suited at RT because he doesn't have the quickest feet.

But to his credit, he's been great this season. Everything's coming together for him and it's a real bummer he got hurt now. And I'm not just saying he's playing great compared to the rest of our line that looks putrid at times. He's been really good against some great players 1 on 1 this season. And he should be struggling getting on the same page as the changing parts around him, but it really hasn't had much impact on his game.

I was really looking forward to seeing him against Suh, Taylor, and then Ngata again. I think the next 3 weeks are gonna be a tough haul against some great DTs without Foster. Ben's gonna have his work cut out for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

believe what you want flip.

his play vs his cap hit has been a great deal for the steelers over the life of his career, not just this year.

seemingly the only guy who can stay healthy, plays multiple positions, and not very penalized.

never understood the grief this guy gets here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    believe what you want flip.

his play vs his cap hit has been a great deal for the steelers over the life of his career, not just this year.

seemingly the only guy who can stay healthy, plays multiple positions, and not very penalized.

never understood the grief this guy gets here.
    If you wanna call him great vs his cap number that's fine. But he wasn't a great G before this season. And he's turning into one of the better Gs in the league this year. The one draw back of playing him at LG is still that he can't pull. And that's one of the biggest reasons our team can't run to the right. I'd still like a G that can move better on the left side because with right handed RB, I think you'd prefer they be able to run right.

I don't know the exact stats, but it seems like we get stuffed a lot on the right. I still think he'd be better suited to play RT if we can find someone who can move/pull from the LG spot.