Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

Backup

User Info Menu

Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

[URL="http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-leaving-might-be-ben-s-best-bet/article_bfdcaf86-e0d2-5b8d-8828-ee27650a1a40.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-leaving-might-be-ben-s-best-bet/article_bfdcaf86-e0d2-5b8d-8828-ee27650a1a40.html[/URL]

Madden: Leaving might be Ben's best bet
    By Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent

Ben Roethlisberger’s reported request to leave the Steelers isn’t necessarily what it seems.

Roethlisberger might really want to leave. Or he might want offensive coordinator Todd Haley fired. Roethlisberger might want the franchise to finally enter the new millennium in terms of offensive emphasis. He might want put in a position to succeed.

That’s just not currently happening with the Steelers.

Haley shouldn’t shoulder all the blame for the mess that is the Steelers’ offense. The platoon is flawed in the assembly. The just-rebuilt offensive line stinks, and there is no true No. 1 receiver.

Philosophically and strategically, it’s hard to believe this is the offense Haley wants. Consider his previous work. But Haley wanted a job, and the only way to get this one was to adhere to Art Rooney II’s antiquated vision. Art II wants to replicate the traditional “Steeler way,” pounding the run to set up the pass.

That game doesn’t exist anymore. Watch a typical NFL contest. It often looks like a different sport than the Steelers play.

The run hasn’t disappeared and isn’t insignificant. But, league-wide, it’s clearly secondary. The Steelers’ approach is misuse of a quarterback who, utilized properly, would be and has been among the NFL’s best. The Steelers try to win the game with balance, then turn to Roethlisberger to bail them out.

Consider the Steelers’ effective use of the no-huddle, with Ben calling the plays. It’s barely done until the Steelers trail. Desperation shouldn’t be the only trigger for your best tactic.

But the Steelers don’t want to take the game out of the coaches’ hands. The Steelers may be the only franchise in sports where the coaches’ egos supersede how to best use the star.

It seems like the Steelers organization has never trusted or liked Roethlisberger since the 2010 rape allegations in Georgia. It seems like he’s always being minimized, or put in his place. Even if that’s not true, here’s betting Roethlisberger feels that way.

Is there any denying that the Steelers’ dishonest “retiring” of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians following the 2011 season – just one year removed from a Steelers’ Super Bowl appearance – was a disastrous move on so many levels?

The result: An offensive downgrade caused largely by turning away from Roethlisberger as the primary weapon – making him “dink and dunk.” Perhaps worse, running off Roethlisberger’s friend and mentor further fractured the relationship between franchise and quarterback.

And it made going to Arizona – where Arians is head coach and Larry Fitzgerald a legit No. 1 receiver – a logical destination.

Trading Roethlisberger might actually be best for the Steelers. Roethlisberger is 31. This should be his prime, but he’s taken such a physical beating. The Steelers are in a deep hole. They might not contend again, or even be average, anytime soon.

Tricky cap implications aside – the Steelers absorb over $11 million in dead money if they deal their QB - Roethlisberger could fetch great return. That could be Roethlisberger’s biggest value to the Steelers given the lack of talent on the current roster.

If Roethlisberger is trying to stage a power play, he might not win. The Steelers value the logo more than any player, and they don’t seem to like Roethlisberger very much.

The changes Roethlisberger likely wants would be best for the Steelers. If he doesn’t get them, there’s no point staying.

The Steelers are a lousy team. That’s not Roethlisberger’s fault. Management thought it had a playoff team at season’s start. Anyone with a brain disagreed with that. Look at the proof.

Yinzer Nation tends to automatically side with the Steelers. But ask yourself who, of these choices, has done his job best: Art II as president, Mike Tomlin as head coach, Haley as offensive coordinator, or Roethlisberger as quarterback?

My choice is Roethlisberger. By default. And it’s not even close. Art II and Haley never played a down of football between them. Tomlin’s arrogance has overwhelmed his ability. The Steelers are a mess, and it’s not the quarterback’s fault.

Don’t bluff, Ben. Don’t bargain. Get out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Madden reafirms his know nothing idiot status.

The "I wanna be a shock jock" is back and dumb as ever.

Wanna know why Ben won't be traded:

Tricky cap implications aside – the Steelers absorb over $11 million in dead money if they deal their QB
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Mark Madden? Really? The phony from the WWE? I'll admit that his expert analysis of "professional" wrestling was probably spot on but beyond that his knowledge of real sports is novice at best.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's not a Steelers fan. He likes individual players here and there but he's shown to never really care about the Logo on the side of the helmet. In fact, he takes just about every opportunity he has to bash the organization. This is TMZ type story telling (I refuse to call it reporting).

Backup

User Info Menu

That's two minutes of my life I'd like to buy back ...

Legend

User Info Menu

The run is just as important as the pass... the issue I have with Haley is the 3 yard crossing routes and endless bubble screens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"It seems like the Steelers organization has never trusted or liked Roethlisberger since the 2010 rape allegations in Georgia. It seems like he’s always being minimized, or put in his place. Even if that’s not true, here’s betting Roethlisberger feels that way."

This is all conjecture. People are projecting what they think, in the hope (I guess) that it will shape Ben's opinion. It's so f'n dumb.

It doesn't "seem" like anything. You (Mark Madden and anyone who feels this way) think the franchise would invest $100m into a player they don't trust or like? That makes no sense. Now... I will say that the team, in giving him that level of investment, expects a lot from him. Particularly, they (the "old school" Steeler franchise) expects him to be a company man in every way, and they act accordingly toward him. They aren't "putting him in his place" as much as they are they are just asking him to tow that company line (as a company man) in ANY WAY that the owners want to tow it.

Now, that might not go over with a lot of spoiled folks in today's world--particularly pro sports. But that is the way it is with the Steelers. Go back to believing pro-wrestling, Madden.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You (Mark Madden and anyone who feels this way) think the franchise would invest $100m into a player they don't trust or like? That makes no sense.
    This always cracks me up. It's completely illogical. And at the same time, many of these same folks could never blame Ben for anything no matter how bad he might play.

I dunno if we've become purposefully obtuse as a society? Maybe we've all been over influenced by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Madden types? Maybe it's the internet that allows us to only think in terms of sound bytes. And black and white. And everything has to be boiled down into something simple so our minds can grasp it.

It's like we're becoming cavemen.

Ben good. Steelers bad. Tomlin bad. Haley bad. Rooney bad. Me mad. Me hungry. RRRRRRRRRRRRR Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    ....And it made going to Arizona – where Arians is head coach and Larry Fitzgerald a legit No. 1 receiver – a logical destination.

Trading Roethlisberger might actually be best for the Steelers. Roethlisberger is 31. This should be his prime, but he’s taken such a physical beating. The Steelers are in a deep hole. They might not contend again, or even be average, anytime soon.

Tricky cap implications aside – the Steelers absorb over $11 million in dead money if they deal their QB - Roethlisberger could fetch great return. That could be Roethlisberger’s biggest value to the Steelers given the lack of talent on the current roster.
    My goodness, where have I heard this before? Yep...more and more will come around tho see this in the not so distant future.

But one thing Madden doesnt get yet, is the $11 million dollars of dead money and be solved easily by all sides coming together and re-working a new long term contract. Back end loaded. It gives the Steelers a lot more room under the cap, Ben more money (more years with money), and also helps the new team eh goes too.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And dislike Maddeen all you want, but he is spot on here. Some of you who do not see this will see things differently soon.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash