Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    My goodness, where have I heard this before? Yep...more and more will come around tho see this in the not so distant future.

But one thing Madden doesnt get yet, is the $11 million dollars of dead money and be solved easily by all sides coming together and re-working a new long term contract. Back end loaded. It gives the Steelers a lot more room under the cap, Ben more money (more years with money), and also helps the new team eh goes too.
    I believe that the whole idea of this story being leaked is a trial balloon to see how the fan base would react to the idea of moving Ben. The source is reportedly coming from the organization, and the story says that they listened to offers last off-season.

If the fans are in an uproar over the rumor, then it goes away and he stays in Pitt. If the response is passive, then I can see the team exploring their options.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I believe that the whole idea of this story being leaked is a trial balloon to see how the fan base would react to the idea of moving Ben. The source is reportedly coming from the organization, and the story says that they listened to offers last off-season.

If the fans are in an uproar over the rumor, then it goes away and he stays in Pitt. If the response is passive, then I can see the team exploring their options.
    I think yes and no to what you say. Yes it was the Steelers who leaked this. And it was somewhat for the fans. But it is to make it easier for them to trade Ben. Showing the fans that he is unhappy will make it easier for them to do so. They will look as if they really had no choice. And I suspect with more losses coming there will be more things leaked.

But since they added the fact that they shopped him last year, tells me, one, they are trying to get a negative reaction back from Ben. Which will help their first cause. And two, are also sending the league a message. What you offered last year, wasn't enough.

Here's a thing that happens immediate in Ben's camp. They research the shopping him offers from last year. You can bank on this happening. And when they get the full extent of it, it will come back that the Steelers arent so thrilled with Ben all that much anymore. How do you think that is going to sit with Him? Especially when he knows why they brought in Haley. How they have hand-cuffed him on offense since day one. And then how he sees this team isn't going anywhere for a while. Yeah, he is going to have some lingering issues with this. That statement about them shopping him is going to develop legs. Watch.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

I think yes and no to what you say. Yes it was the Steelers who leaked this. And it was somewhat for the fans. But it is to make it easier for them to trade Ben. Showing the fans that he is unhappy will make it easier for them to do so. They will look as if they really had no choice. And I suspect with more losses coming there will be more things leaked.

But since they added the fact that they shopped him last year, tells me, one, they are trying to get a negative reaction back from Ben. Which will help their first cause. And two, are also sending the league a message. What you offered last year, wasn't enough.

Here's a thing that happens immediate in Ben's camp. They research the shopping him offers from last year. You can bank on this happening. And when they get the full extent of it, it will come back that the Steelers arent so thrilled with Ben all that much anymore. How do you think that is going to sit with Him? Especially when he knows why they brought in Haley. How they have hand-cuffed him on offense since day one. And then how he sees this team isn't going anywhere for a while. Yeah, he is going to have some lingering issues with this. That statement about them shopping him is going to develop legs. Watch.
    If this actually came to fruition, the Steelers would be the laughing-stock of the NFL. No other NFL team would keep the lousy OC who keeps getting sued over the franchise QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    If this actually came to fruition, the Steelers would be the laughing-stock of the NFL. No other NFL team would keep the lousy OC who keeps getting sued over the franchise QB.
    I never ever said they were keeping Haley. Where did that come from?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

The great thing about this from a Steelers PR standpoint is that they did not really say that they were shopping him. They can easily now say that they received phone calls asking about his availability and did not immediately hang up. There are many ways to spin this if they need to.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Madden sturs up the cauldron. Without bashing him (fired from PG) one can simply say everyone has an opinion allowed to have one and no brain is required. Ben comes out and states he wants to stay so does his agent and the front office confirms no intent to move him. Is there any question here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some of you who do not see this will see things differently soon.
    And you might see things differently when Ben is hoisting #7

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Madden sturs up the cauldron. Without bashing him (fired from PG) one can simply say everyone has an opinion allowed to have one and no brain is required. Ben comes out and states he wants to stay so does his agent and the front office confirms no intent to move him. Is there any question here.
    Normally, I would agree and say - no more question here. But we have an owner with a proven track record of lying to the media when they "retired" Bruce Arians. I don't know that we can trust his statements after that. I do believe Ben when he says he wants to retire a Steeler and raise his kids in Pittsburgh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Normally, I would agree and say - no more question here. But we have an owner with a proven track record of lying to the media when they "retired" Bruce Arians. I don't know that we can trust his statements after that. I do believe Ben when he says he wants to retire a Steeler and raise his kids in Pittsburgh.
    The Ben mentioning his kids part makes it sound genuine. Plus why would he want to leave when his family is relatively close in OH?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't disagree with a lot of what he says. ARIII has been a disaster as leader. Haley and Tomlin do not inspire confidence. Big Ben would love a shot to play for Arians where Arians calls the shots as HC. But, I think it is unlikely. I think the Steelers won't trade Ben for the simple reason that they are risk averse. They do not want to take a chance on starting over with a rookie QB who may not pan out. And if he didn't pan out, they certainly don't want to be told that they were foolish to trade Ben.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.