Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Can someone who doesn't believe this rumor to be true answer me these questions?

If this was true would Ben come out and say it was?

If it was true and Ben confirmed it so, would it be difficult for him to finish out the rest of this season?

If it were true and Ben confirmed it so, how would the fans, his teammates inside the locker room, and the ever attacking media respond?
    DD

As much as you want it to be true and pray it is true it doesn't pass the logic test on any level.

From a business standpoint does it make sense for the Steelers to eat $11M against the cap when they are in a terrible cap situation now?

From a competitive standpoint does it make any sense to get rid of a top 10 QB in the NFL when you have nothing to replace him with? Really think the Rooneys don't remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben?

Why would any team trade for Ben when he could retire after a year and they lose a ton of draft picks for nothing. Ben just drove down his trade value in the market significantly by his recent statements. That is not the actions of someone wanting to get traded.

You are a good poster but don't let your hatred of Big Ben turn you into one of these fringe lunatics who can't see the trees for the forest.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    DD

As much as you want it to be true and pray it is true it doesn't pass the logic test on any level.

From a business standpoint does it make sense for the Steelers to eat $11M against the cap when they are in a terrible cap situation now?

From a competitive standpoint does it make any sense to get rid of a top 10 QB in the NFL when you have nothing to replace him with? Really think the Rooneys don't remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben?

Why would any team trade for Ben when he could retire after a year and they lose a ton of draft picks for nothing. Ben just drove down his trade value in the market significantly by his recent statements. That is not the actions of someone wanting to get traded.

You are a good poster but don't let your hatred of Big Ben turn you into one of these fringe lunatics who can't see the trees for the forest.
    I wonder if a guy that knows he's gonna retire could let a team trade him for players/picks and then immediately announce his retirement when the trade finalizes? Could that be the one last gift from Ben to the team for example?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    DD

Ben didnt release or leak this story. It was a Steeler Source.

From a competitive standpoint it doesnt make sense to get rid of top 10 QB? Under normal circumstance, I agree. It doesn't make sense. But are these normal circumstances for the Steelers? they are 11-14 the past 1 1/2 season with him, he is about to turn 32, is on the back end side of his prime, he has been taking a beating sack wise for a long time, and because as you yourself pointed out, the the Steelers current cap hell coming in 2014. Add in the fact that this team has many holes on both sides of the ball that will take several years to fix and the fact that this upcoming draft is loaded with what many believe to be franchise QB's, well under those circumstances, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Get your facts straight then come back to me.

Sorry OVI, it's hard to discuss this with you when you dont even know what you are talking about in regards to the Steelers having to eat $11 million against the cap. In a trade scenario this is an easy fix for both teams. Ben has two years left on his contract. A re-worked extention that is back end loaded provides cap relief for both teams as well as more money for more ywars for Ben. Win, win, win. Please reference the Anquan Boldin trade to the 49ers.

My hatred for Ben? I am the biggest Ben supporter on this entire website. Again, get your facts right.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Ravens didn't have had dead money anywhere close to $11 on Boldin's contract...he was given $10 million in guaranteed money when he was traded to the Ravens in 2010...after three years, the Ravens were on the hook for only $2.5, which they ate when they traded him to SF...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of Dub but that dude doesn't hate Ben.. he just loves draft picks and draft talk and is willing to trade anyone away for picks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Ravens didn't have had dead money anywhere close to $11 on Boldin's contract...he was given $10 million in guaranteed money when he was traded to the Ravens in 2010...after three years, the Ravens were on the hook for only $2.5, which they ate when they traded him to SF...

This is incorrect.

"The Ravens had reportedly asked Boldin to take a pay cut to help the team with its salary-cap situation. Boldin is scheduled to earn $6 million in the coming season. He carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9040950/baltimore-ravens-trade-anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-pick-sources[/URL]

Or...

When the Ravens traded Boldin in March, it followed a contract dispute where negotiations went nowhere on the Super Bowl champions' attempt to convince him to take a $2 million pay cut off of his $6 million base salary to lower his $7.531 million salary-cap figure. Following an impressive postseason, Boldin understandably saw no reason why he should accept a dollar less than $6 million.

And the Ravens were dealing with an extremely tight salary-cap situation that prompted them to address Boldin's contract.
    Rather than cut him, which they were on the verge of doing days before the trade, the Ravens unloaded him to the 49ers for a sixth-round draft pick over a competing offer of a seventh-round pick from the Minnesota Vikings.

As a result of the trade, the Ravens picked up $6 million in salary-cap space that granted them the financial resources to obtain reinforcements for their defense, including outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, defensive tackle Chris Canty, free safety Michael Huff, who struggled against Denver, and middle linebacker Daryl Smith.

[URL]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-looking-back-at-ravens-trade-of-anquan-boldin-as-he-thrives-in-49ers-debut-20130908,0,5220514.story[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm not a fan of Dub....
    ..and it shows with your constant childish attacks, deliberately taking many of my posts off topic, and continually misquoting me.

But I am ok with it. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ....but that dude doesn't hate Ben.. he just loves draft picks and draft talk and is willing to trade anyone away for picks.
    Prime example right here. I do not want to just trade anyone away. Only for the benefit of the Steelers. What in their best interest. And what I have said about trading Ben, is only to do so if they get a Herschel Walker type return. Which would be in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    ..and it shows with your constant childish attacks, deliberately taking many of my posts off topic, and continually misquoting me.

But I am ok with it. Carry on.

Prime example right here. I do not want to just trade anyone away. Only for the benefit of the Steelers. What in their best interest. And what I have said about trading Ben, is only to do so if they get a Herschel Walker type return. Which would be in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    lol......

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Phil Simms is wrong.
    If you were around back then, I bet you were one of those people that wanted to run Bradshaw out of town.

You don't want to acknowledge the team is badly managed, do you? You don't want to acknowledge that Art II is nowhere close to being the same type of owner his father was, do you? You want to scream at the top of your lungs and blame Ben because that deflects criticism away from ownership and the FO for bringing in Todd Haley in the first place. In your mind, someone with the last name of Rooney can never be wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    If you were around back then, I bet you were one of those people that wanted to run Bradshaw out of town.

You don't want to acknowledge the team is badly managed, do you? You don't want to acknowledge that Art II is nowhere close to being the same type of owner his father was, do you? You want to scream at the top of your lungs and blame Ben because that deflects criticism away from ownership and the FO for bringing in Todd Haley in the first place. In your mind, someone with the last name of Rooney can never be wrong.
    Why does everything have to be so black and white? Every single person deserves some of the blame, including Ben.