Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Todd Haley - Indirect Comment from Dwayne Bowe

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    His jumbo package with Cotchery as the single WR is laughable. That basically puts 10 guys in the box.

It's also not helping anything to have a RB that's too slow to be a threat to run outside the tackles. Not only are we begging the opposing D to load up the box, but to load up and crash the middle of the LOS.

And having TEs that have no impact on the passing game just invite more guys into the box. And we've just given up and added an extra tackle at TE.

It's as if Haley has designed the offense for a weak armed Jon Kitna type QB. And that means less field for the opposing D to defend. It's just mind boggling what we're trying to do. How do you take Ben's skillset and build an offense around draw plays and bubble screens? I really don't get it??
    Where do you get Bell is slow? At 230 pounds he ran an official 4.6. Rotoworld had him at 4.52 and 4.56. Scouts referred to it as "impressive".

[URL]http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/02/todd_mcshay_former_michigan_st.html[/URL]

FYI, Emmitt Smith ran a 4.7 at the NFL combine. I think he turned out aight.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Where do you get Bell is slow? At 230 pounds he ran an official 4.6. Rotoworld had him at 4.52 and 4.56. Scouts referred to it as "impressive".

[URL]http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/02/todd_mcshay_former_michigan_st.html[/URL]

Just from watching him run. I don't care about his 40 time. That's fine. I think everyone knows he's running between the tackles out of a jumbo package. And with Cotchery on the outside, there's such a condensed field for the defense to cover. It just seems like such a limited formation.

Legend

User Info Menu

You and I see a very different back. I have read the brain doesn't passively record reality, it actively creates it. I suppose that is why two individuals can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions.

Bell has always played fast for a big man.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    that doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't take his word when it comes to being sober or straight edge but what the hell does speeding and smoking have to do with evaluating a coach?
    It means he has poor decision making skills...

Why would I listen?

Dee Dub is advocating trading Ben Roethlisberger...should I take financial advice from him?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It means he has poor decision making skills...

Why would I listen?

Dee Dub is advocating trading Ben Roethlisberger...should I take financial advice from him?
    If he worked in finance then yes... are you seriously suggesting you wouldn't take advice from a financial guy because of his football knowledge? LoL.. that makes no sense. Your financial expert may be speeding and smoking RIGHT now.

A lot of bankers and Wall st. types have horrible vices.

Hines Ward had a DUI.. Ben has a history of woman trouble... does this mean their football knowledge is no longer credible?

I would definitely question Bowes advice on sobreity but I wouldn't ignore his comments on past coaches or football in general.

Legend

User Info Menu

You and I see a very different back. I have read the brain doesn't passively record reality, it actively creates it. I suppose that is why two individuals can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions.

Bell has always played fast for a big man.
    Everything's subjective. I don't hate Bell at all or anything close to that. And I think he's got great quick feet. I think it's that Bell lacks a burst, or another gear. And that doesn't mean he can't be an effective back.

I also do think there's things he does better than Dwyer ever will. I doubt we're that far off in what we're seeing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Everything's subjective. I don't hate Bell at all or anything close to that. And I think he's got great quick feet. I think it's that Bell lacks a burst, or another gear. And that doesn't mean he can't be an effective back.

I also do think there's things he does better than Dwyer ever will. I doubt we're that far off in what we're seeing.
    Not sure Dwyer has "another gear" either. Bell isn't a scat back. But, if you have tackles who can seal the edge...he is capable of running the C gap.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure Dwyer has "another gear" either. Bell isn't a scat back. But, if you have tackles who can seal the edge...he is capable of running the C gap.
    Maybe we differ more on what we see in Dwyer. I do think he's got an extra burst that Bell doesn't.

I think Dwyer runs more physical, but his problem is mental. He often doesn't read his blocks correctly and I think that's the one thing that might be holding him back in the coaches minds. And Bell's got better hands. Although, I'm not even sure Ben's strength is dumping off short passes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we differ more on what we see in Dwyer. I do think he's got an extra burst that Bell doesn't.

I think Dwyer runs more physical, but his problem is mental. He often doesn't read his blocks correctly and I think that's the one thing that might be holding him back in the coaches minds. And Bell's got better hands. Although, I'm not even sure Ben's strength is dumping off short passes.
    It is interesting comparing the two backs. I think it's obvious that Bell is the more complete back. But there's something about Dwyer that is more "sudden". It's kind've like Troy's speed. It's not blazing top speed but it comes on out of nowhere and surprises you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sure it is impressive...for a guy his size. But I think the point is that you don't want the big guy running into such a mass of defense every time he touches the ball, especially with a group who struggles to open holes to start with. Spread the D a bit so that Bell can get a bit of momentun going before he meets his first defender.

And Emmitt is the leading rusher in the history of the game because he had the best OL in the game blowing open canyons for him to run through. Dude could have walked for 10,000 yards. It is not surprising that he is never mentioned amongst the top backs of all time.