Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley - Indirect Comment from Dwayne Bowe

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd Haley - Indirect Comment from Dwayne Bowe

The article (from Peter King's MMQB) is a positive article about Andy Reid. The last quote, though it does not mention anybody, would seem applicable to Haley.

So … this is how you define “culture change” in Kansas City.
    This is from my story on the Chiefs in Sports Illustrated this past week, about how Andy Reid has engendered a new way of team-think among veterans who, quite frankly, we never saw have this kind of impact on the team:

One play in the Kansas City Chiefs’ 9-0 start illustrates why the players like playing for new coach Andy Reid.
    It happened late in the first half Oct. 27 at home against Cleveland. Kansas City had a first down at the Browns’ 28. As the offense broke the huddle, the Chiefs lined up in trips right: three receivers in a row outside the right tackle—wideout Dwayne Bowe, slot receiver Dexter McCluster and tight end Anthony Fasano, left to right.Andy Reid has won the loyalty of the 9-0 Chiefs, who went 2-14 with mostly the same roster last season. (Michael Perez/AP)

Before you learn what happened, you need some history. The Chiefs had run this play earlier in the half, and Bowe noticed one of the Cleveland defensive backs clapping his hands twice and nodding toward Bowe. When the ball was snapped on this play earlier in the half, two defenders blanketed Bowe as he sprinted up the right seam, and quarterback Alex Smith had to look elsewhere. So when Bowe went to the sidelines after that series and Reid saw him, the coach said, “Hey 82, what do you see?” Bowe told him on this play, Z Out Zebra Post, he thought if Reid called it again, McCluster should do what Bowe had done on the first play, run a deep seam route, and Bowe, instead of streaking downfield, should run a short out, to take two cover men with him. That way, McCluster would be singled and, with his quickness, get a step on his man.

So here came that chance, late in the half. Coaches told Bowe and McCluster to switch their routes, and Z Out Zebra Post was Reid’s call. At line of scrimmage, Bowe got the double-clap again and he knew he’d get doubled, and at the snap of the ball, Bowe ran an out-route with safety T.J. Ward and corner Buster Skrine bracketing him. Streaking straight downfield, McCluster got two steps on corner Joe Haden. Smith threw. McCluster stretched for the ball at the goal line. Bingo. Easy touchdown.

“Hey 82 … 82!” Reid said to a grinning Bowe when he returned to the sideline. “You got a job doing this coaching thing someday.”

That touchdown made the score 20-7. The final was 23-17, Kansas City. Dwayne Bowe, as it turned out, designed the winning play to make Kansas City 8-0. And his head coach called it.

“I’ve never had input like that as a football player,” said Bowe. “Some coaches have an ego. Some coaches want to win. Andy’s that [second] kind—he just wants to win.”

Dwayne Bowe, assistant coach. Quite a change out there in Missouri.

Legend

User Info Menu

You realize that Reid didn't replace Haley don't you? So the culture change wasn't from Haley to Reid, it was from Romeo Crennel to Reid.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You realize that Reid didn't replace Haley don't you? So the culture change wasn't from Haley to Reid, it was from Romeo Crennel to Reid.
    True, but Romeo wasn't an O Coach either. He was a defense guy. I am sure HALEY is directed here. Maybe not just HALEY though
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Theres enough reasons not to like Todd Haley. Your really reaching here.

Backup

User Info Menu

That's not surprising to hear.

Legend

User Info Menu

I realize that, but Haley's tenure overlapped with Bowe.

Legend

User Info Menu

sorry, but a reach to "pile on" the "I hate Haley" bandwagon aka the former "I hate Arians" bandwagon and the future "I'll hate whoever the Off Coord is" bandwagon

Legend

User Info Menu

sorry, but a reach to "pile on" the "I hate Haley" bandwagon aka the former "I hate Arians" bandwagon and the future "I'll hate whoever the Off Coord is" bandwagon
    Reach or otherwise, it struck me so I put it out there.

In any event, I'm not a fan of any OC that has the team in the bottom third of the league offensively will a $100 million QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Reach or otherwise, it struck me so I put it out there.

In any event, I'm not a fan of any OC that has the team in the bottom third of the league offensively will a $100 million QB.
    I think this one gets thrown out of court due to lack of evidence. It's not the OC, it is the putrid offensive line. Look at the evidence. Two separate Off Coord with completely different approaches and the same result. The only consistent thing is both OCs had an OL that is clearly in the bottom half of the NFL.

The OL is the problem. Until it is really fixed we will struggle offensively.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I said all of this the day the Steelers hired Haley. He never played the game of football at any level. He will always have a disconnect with players. Always. They cannot relate.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash