Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley - Indirect Comment from Dwayne Bowe

Legend

User Info Menu

There were multiple shots during the Bills game where they showed Ben and Coach Haley chatting it up on the sidelines and they looked to be getting along fine (if not actually smiling...). I'm not giving Haley a pass, but Ben's been known to embrace drama throughout his career. Maybe he's settling down and deciding to really work with coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    A somewhat ironic defense when Todd Haley is involved.
    Like I have said many times. IMO it is an unfair evaluation of Haley's offense playing when he has a Junior College offensive line executing it.

The principles that Haley's offense call s for are sound. It's not working because of the OL not what he want the offense to do. That is a Colbert and front office problem and thery should get the blame.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Like I have said many times. IMO it is an unfair evaluation of Haley's offense playing when he has a Junior College offensive line executing it.

The principles that Haley's offense call s for are sound. It's not working because of the OL not what he want the offense to do. That is a Colbert and front office problem and thery should get the blame.
    Nope... it's fair. Haley wanted the job so he needs to make it work or adjust the play calling.

It's like saying Wallace should only be evaluated when the pass is perfect.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know that the line is as bad as its been made out to be. The Steelers unquestionably need a LT. Beachum is not the answer. But otherwise, Foster, Velasco and DD have been solid to above-average, and Gilbert has been ok.

In any event, Haley knows what he has, and it's up to him to utilize the talent as best he can. He didn't have to let Adams continue blocking Allen 1-on1 with no help. He could have moved the pocket, used a hurry up, whatever. He didn't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Same Result??? 2010-11 we were 12-4 , Haleys 2 years 8-8 and 3-6.....not the same result
    Until Ben got hurt last year we were 6-3 and had a qb playing like the MVP. And that was behind a putrid OL. This year we lose our best OL, so we go from bad to worst. The downward trend you're seeing is there because of the play of the defense. 2010 we had an outstanding defensive unit. Since then we've lost James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Kenan Lewis, Larry Foote (For the year) and the guys we still have are 3 years older. Our offense has not been consistently good since Whiz was here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know that the line is as bad as its been made out to be. The Steelers unquestionably need a LT. Beachum is not the answer. But otherwise, Foster, Velasco and DD have been solid to above-average, and Gilbert has been ok.

In any event, Haley knows what he has, and it's up to him to utilize the talent as best he can. He didn't have to let Adams continue blocking Allen 1-on1 with no help. He could have moved the pocket, used a hurry up, whatever. He didn't.
    I agree with you here. The only exception are those games (and I think the Vikings game was one of them) where we have multiple lineman go down during the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry Philly, but if we don't have the worst OL in the NFL as a group then we are definitely among the worst 5.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry Philly, but if we don't have the worst OL in the NFL as a group then we are definitely among the worst 5.
    There are lots of really bad OLs out there. Bryant McKinnie has started for 2 teams. The Bills started Legursky - a guy who couldn't start on the Steelers offensive line - at guard.

Ben holds the ball. It allows him to make special plays, but it also, at times, makes the line look worse than it is.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    The line isn't the issue. It's how he uses them, and the basic fundamental aspects of Haley's offense that kills them.
    Haley's offensive scheme invites, may I say BEGS you to stack the line and run tight coverage ... and then doesn't make you pay for it. It's like "slap me in my mouth .. and I won't do anything about it". Now, he has gotten better at calling a few deep routes during the course of a game ... But, that only started happening when the media kinda sorta joined us fans in calling for his head.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Haley's offensive scheme invites, may I say BEGS you to stack the line and run tight coverage ... and then doesn't make you pay for it. It's like "slap me in my mouth .. and I won't do anything about it". Now, he has gotten better at calling a few deep routes during the course of a game ... But, that only started happening when the media kinda sorta joined us fans in calling for his head.
    80% of our plays are 3 yard or less.... seemed like we didnt run a 10 yard pattern until the 2 minute warning before the half.