Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Legend

User Info Menu

7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

For those clinging to hopes of turning around the season, or for those who think it's "too early" to talk draft...this thread isn't for you. But, for those of us who want to have a real discussion about the draft...then lets go at it.

I was looking at all the teams with 3 wins or less. That is 15 teams. Realistically that is the high end of where the Steelers will be picking. 2 or less was only 7 teams besides the Steelers.

Predicting the Steelers to draft at 8-10 is very realistic. With that in mind I would like to list the top realistic players the Steelers would draft in order.

1) Jake Matthews-The most game ready LT in this draft...solid all around, leader, should be a superb tackle for years to come. With that said, I do not believe him to be the best LT prospect in this draft. His foot speed while good is not elite. I think Matthews projects better as an All Pro RT.

2) Cyrus Kouandjio-Now we are talking. Yes, more of a "project" than Matthews but this guy has it all. Saban thought so much of this kid that he moved his Outland award winning LT to center to get Cyrus on the field. Cyrus is a freak of nature...very quick, very strong, and he is a big man. He may have the most upside of any LT coming out in the last 5 years. He had a very strong year last year, and I believe he is still holding strong this season. While not as polished as Matthews, he should be the better pro.

3) Taylor Lewan-another LT prospect out of Michigan...mountain of a man with a mean streak. I think he will be a very good pro but sometimes doesn't look elite against great competition. In the back of my brain I wonder if he wouldn't be just another good OLman if he was playing SEC competition week in and week out. He has more question marks in my mind.

4) Louis Nix-NT-The next coming of Casey Hampton...fire hydrant...can't be moved...elite run stuffing NT. He is also a genetic freak...very quick for a big man...squaty...can get low. He knows how to take on double teams and still get push. He will be a hard guy for the Steelers to pass on because they won't see another guy like this come around in a very weak 3-4 NT draft.

5) Mike Evans-WR, 6-5...225 pounds... I have him higher on the Steelers draft board because of his size, and because of Watkins off the field issues. Big tall, talented WR...Ben finally gets his big WR.

6) Sammy Watkins-As talented as Watkins may be...I think he could possibly be off the Steelers draft board due to his drug issues. When you have a leadership void...do you want to bring in a guy popping stimulants and smoking pot? He would have to have an amazing interview. But, he made my board because the guy is the best WR in this draft...and I think the Steelers will take a long hard look at him.

7) Brett Hundley/Johnny Manziel-two QBs who should be there when the Steelers draft. Will one catch the eye of Steeler scouts? Manziel's off the field antics probably rule him out...but wow is the guy talented. Hundley has alot of qualities you can't teach a QB...not to mention he is a threat with his legs. Both remote possibilities.

I have seen several mocks with the Steelers taking an OLB. I just don't see it. Ha Ha out of Bama is also in the realm of possibility. Running back, DB, ILB and TE are out unless the Steelers are drafting at 15.

Thoughts?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Hundley or Manziel are on the board when we pick, someone's gonna want them and might be willing to give up a ransom to pick either. I'd trade down. I'm not a fan of top 10 picks unless you need a QB. We'd end up overpaying for a guy that's a crap shoot and could take time to develop. I'd rather have later picks and more picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm ready to talk draft.

Not interested in a WR or NT if we are picking in Top 10. The "bust" rate on big WRs is pretty high. I think you can get a NT later.

I just don't see how anyone can watch the games this season and not go for a Left Tackle.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm ready to talk draft.
    If everyone starts talking draft, maybe we can get some mojo and reel off 9 wins

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm ready to talk draft.

Not interested in a WR or NT if we are picking in Top 10. The "bust" rate on big WRs is pretty high. I think you can get a NT later.

I just don't see how anyone can watch the games this season and not go for a Left Tackle.
    I agree with you on WR. I don't want a first round WR, and I don't believe the Steelers do either. But, NT...you need to take a look at the talent at NT and get back with me. There isn't many there...weak weak year for NT. But, Nix is a beast. Not having Hampton to anchor the middle has been a huge problem for this DL.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    7) Brett Hundley/Johnny Manziel-two QBs who should be there when the Steelers draft. Will one catch the eye of Steeler scouts? Manziel's off the field antics probably rule him out...but wow is the guy talented. Hundley has alot of qualities you can't teach a QB...not to mention he is a threat with his legs. Both remote possibilities.
    I think the Steelers are looking at a top 5 pick. I do not think these two are the two best QB in this draft. And neither fit what the Steelers want to run. The one to watch is Oregon State QB Sean Mannion. He is a prototypical pocket passer who is a far better fit for the Steelers.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If Hundley or Manziel are on the board when we pick, someone's gonna want them and might be willing to give up a ransom to pick either. I'd trade down. I'm not a fan of top 10 picks unless you need a QB. We'd end up overpaying for a guy that's a crap shoot and could take time to develop. I'd rather have later picks and more picks.
    You may be right...but there is no position the Steelers need more than an elite LT. You just won't find that after pick 15. But, if the Steelers can slide down a few slots and gain an extra second, I'm all for it.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1) Jake Matthews-The most game ready LT in this draft...solid all around, leader, should be a superb tackle for years to come. With that said, I do not believe him to be the best LT prospect in this draft. His foot speed while good is not elite. I think Matthews projects better as an All Pro RT.

4) Louis Nix-NT-The next coming of Casey Hampton...fire hydrant...can't be moved...elite run stuffing NT. He is also a genetic freak...very quick for a big man...squaty...can get low. He knows how to take on double teams and still get push. He will be a hard guy for the Steelers to pass on because they won't see another guy like this come around in a very weak 3-4 NT draft.
    I know a plan that could possibly get both of these players for the Steelers....and then some
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you on WR. I don't want a first round WR, and I don't believe the Steelers do either. But, NT...you need to take a look at the talent at NT and get back with me. There isn't many there...weak weak year for NT. But, Nix is a beast. Not having Hampton to anchor the middle has been a huge problem for this DL.
    Last draft, we convinced ourseleves we had to have a pass rushing OLB to replace Harrison...how is that working for us? Looking at our OL and our DL can anyone really say that the DL is a greater need? Everything I read on this board indicate it is the offense that is the cause for our record. Let's pay attention to the board experts and fix the biggest problem on the offense...the OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Last draft, we convinced ourseleves we had to have a pass rushing OLB to replace Harrison...how is that working for us? Looking at our OL and our DL can anyone really say that the DL is a greater need? Everything I read on this board indicate it is the offense that is the cause for our record. Let's pay attention to the board experts and fix the biggest problem on the offense...the OL.
    I'm not sure if you read posts or just glance at them. But, my top 3 listed picks are OL.
    Trolls are people too.