Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger makes his WRs better

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman wonders if other posters will see the hidden wisdom in this comment.

Ben buys time, over & over & over to allow these WR's to get open. Few WR's in this league have that fortune. But it comes at a cost- and that cost is paid for by the 5 guys in front of Ben.

The result of having to buy time for the WR's is that Ben's sack totals are blown out of proportion.

Imagine how many sacks fewer we'd see if some of these WR's were open after 3 seconds, or if they were viable targets even when covered.

Not saying the WR's on the roster are bad, but they certainly don't do Ben or the OL any favours.
    I don't buy that our WRs don't get open. Their problem is they don't get "Ben" open. If you watch Brown for example, his first step makes him open most of the time. He's got one of the best bursts off the LOS I've ever seen. If Drew Brees was his QB, he'd be hitting Brown in stride on 3 step drops all day long.

Ben needs to wait 5 seconds until the defense forgets about Brown and there's no defender within 5 yards of him. Think back and how many times is a guy uncovered when Ben throws after holding the ball for an eternity? Its darn near every time. Ben wants guys to effectively be uncovered before he throws. When he throws into coverage, it's downright dangerous sometimes. Makes me think Ben is completely aware of his limitations. And this is the same reason I think we struggle in the redzone because guys aren't going to go uncovered on a short field forcing Ben out of his comfort zone.

I bet Ben would play the exact same way if his starting WRs were AJ and Megatron. I'm really not sure the weapons or the OLine matter all that much when it comes to Ben's game. Ben's just Ben and he'll play the same no matter what the parts are around him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman wonders if other posters will see the hidden wisdom in this comment.

Ben buys time, over & over & over to allow these WR's to get open. Few WR's in this league have that fortune. But it comes at a cost- and that cost is paid for by the 5 guys in front of Ben.

The result of having to buy time for the WR's is that Ben's sack totals are blown out of proportion.

Imagine how many sacks fewer we'd see if some of these WR's were open after 3 seconds, or if they were viable targets even when covered.

Not saying the WR's on the roster are bad, but they certainly don't do Ben or the OL any favours.
    This is exactly why the Steelers need a tall, physical WR. They do a better job of beating press coverage, and they can make plays even when they're double-teamed or otherwise in tight coverage. And this, in turn, opens up space for smaller WRs like Antonio Brown.

Basically, the offense is a big WR, a LT and a backup TE away from being a productive unit.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I bet Ben would play the exact same way if his starting WRs were AJ and Megatron. I'm really not sure the weapons or the OLine matter all that much when it comes to Ben's game. Ben's just Ben and he'll play the same no matter what the parts are around him.
    No, Ben would do what all the other QBs with large targets would do: put the ball up and let the WRs make plays.

Tom Brady does it with Rob Gronkowski, and did it with Aaron Hernandez. Drew Brees does it with Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham. Jay Cutler does it with Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jefferey and Martellus Bennett. Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl by doing it with Anquan Boldin and Dennis Pitta. Eli Manning does it with Hakeem Nicks, and has begun to do it with Reuben Randle. Carson Palmer does it with Larry Fitzgerald. Philip Rivers does it with Antonio Gates, and has begun to do it with Keenan Allen. Aaron Rodgers does it with Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley. Tony Romo does it with Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and Jason Witten. Matt Ryan does it with Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez. Alex Smith does it with Dwayne Bowe and Anthony Fasano. Matthew Stafford does it with Calvin Johnson.

There's a reason why Ben lobbied for a large WR five years ago, and despite the Steelers trying to give him what he wanted with Limas Sweed, it's absurd that they haven't even bothered since Sweed psyched himself out of the NFL.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    This is exactly why the Steelers need a tall, physical WR. They do a better job of beating press coverage, and they can make plays even when they're double-teamed or otherwise in tight coverage. And this, in turn, opens up space for smaller WRs like Antonio Brown.

Basically, the offense is a big WR, a LT and a backup TE away from being a productive unit.

I would argue that they may need more than a back up TE and may actually need their next starting TE. Miller looks very underwhelming since coming back from injury and he isn't going to get better with age.

Absolutley need a Left Tackle
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would argue that they may need more than a back up TE and may actually need their next starting TE. Miller looks very underwhelming since coming back from injury and he isn't going to get better with age.

Absolutley need a Left Tackle
    I'd give Heath Miller another season. Remember, Donovan McNabb didn't play up to his standards in 2007 after coming back from a catastrophic knee injury, and neither did Tom Brady in 2009. Adrian Peterson is the exception to the rule.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

No, Ben would do what all the other QBs with large targets would do: put the ball up and let the WRs make plays.
    I found it interesting after the NE game, all the comments about the first int. Ben dropped back, closed his eyes, and heaved up the ball was what everyone was saying, how horrible was that play? I've got news for you...that strategy got Joe Flacco $100M!!! Look back to last year's playoffs. How many times did Flacco heave the ball up into double coverage, and hold his breath until Boldin or Jones went up and brought it down? A lot. Having a big, physical receiver is a huge advantage for a QB in today's league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I don't buy that our WRs don't get open. Their problem is they don't get "Ben" open. If you watch Brown for example, his first step makes him open most of the time. He's got one of the best bursts off the LOS I've ever seen. If Drew Brees was his QB, he'd be hitting Brown in stride on 3 step drops all day long.

Ben needs to wait 5 seconds until the defense forgets about Brown and there's no defender within 5 yards of him. Think back and how many times is a guy uncovered when Ben throws after holding the ball for an eternity? Its darn near every time. Ben wants guys to effectively be uncovered before he throws. When he throws into coverage, it's downright dangerous sometimes. Makes me think Ben is completely aware of his limitations. And this is the same reason I think we struggle in the redzone because guys aren't going to go uncovered on a short field forcing Ben out of his comfort zone.

I agree. Ben makes the WR's and Oline better at times. The heart of the offensive scoring issues rest with the QB position.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would love to see Ben play behind a good O line - not even a great one - just good. It must be so frustrating to wonder who is going to miss a block or not pick up a blitz next ? How am i going to be pounded into the turf and from which direction. Ben does things that no others do - for him to show boat his abilities we need a O line that can pass block. Our line sucks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    .....but not to the extent that a guy like Brady or Manning do.
    This is as lame as it gets right here!!!! Ben does not get to run the same offense that those two do. He has never been given control of his offense like those two have. In fact Ben's organization has tried to reel him in and change him. Case in point, bringing in Haley and asking the square peg Ben to fit into Haley's round hole offense.

And Ben has never ever had a WR the caliber of these three...

Reggie Wayne 104 receptions 1510 yards 10 TD's
    Marvin Harrison 143 receptions and 1722 yards in 2002
    Randy Moss 23 TD's in 2007
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...and if Ben ever had things equal with those two we would see a lot more like what he did his last year at Miami of Ohio.

4486 yards passing 37 TD's 69.1% completions.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I agree. Ben makes the WR's and Oline better at times. The heart of the offensive scoring issues rest with the QB position.

Actually I think he makes OL worse because they have to hold their blocks too long. Not that it is an excuse for our OL because 3 of the 5 are just plain terrible and wouldn't be starting on about 30 other OLs in the NFL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"