Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
Chadman wonders if other posters will see the hidden wisdom in this comment.

Ben buys time, over & over & over to allow these WR's to get open. Few WR's in this league have that fortune. But it comes at a cost- and that cost is paid for by the 5 guys in front of Ben.

The result of having to buy time for the WR's is that Ben's sack totals are blown out of proportion.

Imagine how many sacks fewer we'd see if some of these WR's were open after 3 seconds, or if they were viable targets even when covered.

Not saying the WR's on the roster are bad, but they certainly don't do Ben or the OL any favours.
I don't buy that our WRs don't get open. Their problem is they don't get "Ben" open. If you watch Brown for example, his first step makes him open most of the time. He's got one of the best bursts off the LOS I've ever seen. If Drew Brees was his QB, he'd be hitting Brown in stride on 3 step drops all day long.

Ben needs to wait 5 seconds until the defense forgets about Brown and there's no defender within 5 yards of him. Think back and how many times is a guy uncovered when Ben throws after holding the ball for an eternity? Its darn near every time. Ben wants guys to effectively be uncovered before he throws. When he throws into coverage, it's downright dangerous sometimes. Makes me think Ben is completely aware of his limitations. And this is the same reason I think we struggle in the redzone because guys aren't going to go uncovered on a short field forcing Ben out of his comfort zone.

I bet Ben would play the exact same way if his starting WRs were AJ and Megatron. I'm really not sure the weapons or the OLine matter all that much when it comes to Ben's game. Ben's just Ben and he'll play the same no matter what the parts are around him.