Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: In a game of Crowd Control; Steelers 1, Ben Roethlisberger 1!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yep. See where it says "also wouldn't be surprised"?
    $$$$

"I wouldn't be surprised" =

spec·u·la·tion (spky-lshn)n.1. a. Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.

b. A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.

c. Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.

2. a. Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
    b. A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is about getting rid of Haley...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$

"I wouldn't be surprised" =

spec·u·la·tion (spky-lshn)n.1. a. Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.

b. A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.

c. Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.

2. a. Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
    b. A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.
    If that is all you read form what he said, I get that. But guess what? He said more than just that. Can you break this down too?

From talking to several people on various sides of this, and there are a lot of sides of this, Ben is not happy with the direction of the team, with the offensive coaches. I should say with the coaches and not just Todd Haley, “Rapoport said.

Or this?

and Steelers sources also wouldn’t be surprised if Ben asked them to explore possible [URL="http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/11/11/nfl-networks-ian-rapaport-clarifies-stands-behind-statement-on-ben-roethlisberger/#"]trade options[/URL] at the end of this season.”

Neither of those fit the description of the meaning for the word speculation you posted.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Newsflash Ian R; I am sure the Steelers have fielded multiple inquiries on a trade for Roethlisberger over his 10 yr career. .... SO WHAT! Just like the Packers are making a call to Favre.... haa haaa haa. I wish I worked in the media. It would be a blast coming up with headliners that would swirl through national outlets.....

Also; by my reckoning, at least 50% of Roethlisberger's problems are due to Roethlisberger. Sure, feel sorry for the guy cause he doesn't have an OL that can block for 11.2 sec or doesn't have manbeasts at WR. There is an old cliche; "you play the cards you're dealt". I am sure Haley and company would love it if he could learn the dump-off, and he might find that playing the game that way can lead to a longer career....

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not hard to believe that Ben might be unhappy with the direction of the offense, or the offensive coaches. There's no direct quote from Ben on that, so it's coming from second-hand sources...but it's not hard to believe. Even if it's true, it DOESN'T mean he wants OUT of Pittsburgh.

"Steelers sources also wouldn't be surprised if Ben asked them to explore possible trade options at the end of this season"--that most definitely DOES fit the definition of "speculation" that I cited. It's CONJECTURE.

Now, contrast Rapoport's story with this one:

By Dejan Kovacevik

Published: Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013, 10:48 p.m.
    Updated 12 hours ago
    Ben Roethlisberger isn't going anywhere.

He'll stay with the Steelers for as long as they'll have him, and that's for the foreseeable future, well beyond the expiration of his current contract in two years. He'll then retire with the team, and he and his family will make their permanent home in Pittsburgh.

I believe that.

Just as I believe that the key to understanding why is to tune out all the noise.

All of it.

To start, discard the ridiculous report that the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport put out Sunday that Roethlisberger and the team might be planning — lock on those last three words to judge newsworthiness — to part ways at season's end. The report's sources characterized the feelings of a player and the team, yet the report itself never attributes anything to Roethlisberger, his agent Ryan Tollner or Art Rooney II.

All those guys will do is, you know, decide everything.

But go further.

Don't listen, either, to the strongly worded denials from Roethlisberger or Tollner or Rooney during and after the Steelers' 23-10 victory over the Bills at Heinz Field.

Turn all of the volume down to zero.

Instead, go with your eyes. Look at what Roethlisberger has done, at his actions, even in this most miserable of seasons, and ask if this individual, as the report charges, wants out.

Ramon Foster, as often happens, put it best: “That guy's no quitter, and you're seeing that now more than ever.”

I'll emphatically second that: I've never been more impressed by Roethlisberger and, as a result, I've never been more convinced of his commitment to the Steelers.

But don't take my word for it. Go inside the huddle. Go ask the men who know him far better than any of us.

Ask left tackle Kelvin Beachum about his encounter with Roethlisberger on the sideline during the final seconds Sunday, not long after Beachum allowed a defender a blindside sack.

“I asked Ben, ‘How's your body?' And he just said he was OK but that we have to do better,” Beachum recalled. “He holds us accountable, but he doesn't cuss us out, and he never gets discouraged. Never. There's frustration, but he just wants to keep going.”

Roethlisberger, for the record, has been sacked 35 times behind this patchwork line — four more Sunday, plus three other hits — and his next public complaint will be the first. His next missed snap will be the first, too.

Ask Jerricho Cotchery how Roethlisberger handles similar issues with his wide receivers.

“Never heard the first complaint,” Cotchery said. “This man gets hit, and all he does is line up for the next play. Mentally, I don't think there are too many NFL players at any position who can match him. He's that tough.”

That sound like a quitter to you, someone scrambling for a parachute? Scouting out his NFL paradise?

Look, it's easy when things are going well. When Roethlisberger entered the NFL, he went 15-1, won a Super Bowl right away and was living … well, too large at times. It all came so effortlessly.

He's matured a ton since then. He's in control of his life and, to a great extent, his career. But this, no doubt, is the greatest challenge of that career. And trust me, based on talks we've had on this topic, he views this in exactly that way: He wants to be that guy who leads the Steelers back. He wants to be that Mario Lemieux to the Penguins, that Andrew McCutchen to the Pirates, that player who carries himself with pride through the hard times with an aim of being rewarded at the end.

That's his next goal, not some escape.

The Steelers and the Rooney family stood by Roethlisberger once, and he has stood by them. There's nothing at all complicated here.

Doesn't mean he's eager to be part of some long-term rebuilding. Nor that he's done counting his Super Bowl rings against those of Tom Brady and others. He wants to win and win now.

When I asked Sunday if he felt these Steelers can add to that ring total with him, he didn't hesitate: “Very.”

In fact, he didn't hesitate with any of his replies in angrily rejecting the NFL Network report as “B.S.” and “totally false” and “made up.” And he became even more impassioned when talking about the foundation of it: “To me, it's about giving everything I have to this organization and this fan base. That's what I'm going to do. I'm not quitting on anything, this season, this team or these fans. I'm going to give everything I have. This is home.”

Only words?

Sure, right up until the media session was done and Benjamin Todd Jr., his 1-year-old son sporting a little No. 7 jersey, leaped into his arms. And they headed home.

Read more:
    [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5039855-74/roethlisberger-steelers-ben#ixzz2kO6v3WgJ[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    It's not hard to believe that Ben might be unhappy with the direction of the offense, or the offensive coaches. There's no direct quote from Ben on that, so it's coming from second-hand sources...but it's not hard to believe. Even if it's true, it DOESN'T mean he wants OUT of Pittsburgh.

"Steelers sources also wouldn't be surprised if Ben asked them to explore possible trade options at the end of this season"--that most definitely DOES fit the definition of "speculation" that I cited. It's CONJECTURE.

Now, contrast Rapoport's story with this one:

By Dejan Kovacevik

Published: Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013, 10:48 p.m.
    Updated 12 hours ago
    Ben Roethlisberger isn't going anywhere.

He'll stay with the Steelers for as long as they'll have him, and that's for the foreseeable future, well beyond the expiration of his current contract in two years. He'll then retire with the team, and he and his family will make their permanent home in Pittsburgh.

I believe that.

Just as I believe that the key to understanding why is to tune out all the noise.

All of it.

To start, discard the ridiculous report that the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport put out Sunday that Roethlisberger and the team might be planning — lock on those last three words to judge newsworthiness — to part ways at season's end. The report's sources characterized the feelings of a player and the team, yet the report itself never attributes anything to Roethlisberger, his agent Ryan Tollner or Art Rooney II.

All those guys will do is, you know, decide everything.

But go further.

Don't listen, either, to the strongly worded denials from Roethlisberger or Tollner or Rooney during and after the Steelers' 23-10 victory over the Bills at Heinz Field.

Turn all of the volume down to zero.

Instead, go with your eyes. Look at what Roethlisberger has done, at his actions, even in this most miserable of seasons, and ask if this individual, as the report charges, wants out.

Ramon Foster, as often happens, put it best: “That guy's no quitter, and you're seeing that now more than ever.”

I'll emphatically second that: I've never been more impressed by Roethlisberger and, as a result, I've never been more convinced of his commitment to the Steelers.

But don't take my word for it. Go inside the huddle. Go ask the men who know him far better than any of us.

Ask left tackle Kelvin Beachum about his encounter with Roethlisberger on the sideline during the final seconds Sunday, not long after Beachum allowed a defender a blindside sack.

“I asked Ben, ‘How's your body?' And he just said he was OK but that we have to do better,” Beachum recalled. “He holds us accountable, but he doesn't cuss us out, and he never gets discouraged. Never. There's frustration, but he just wants to keep going.”

Roethlisberger, for the record, has been sacked 35 times behind this patchwork line — four more Sunday, plus three other hits — and his next public complaint will be the first. His next missed snap will be the first, too.

Ask Jerricho Cotchery how Roethlisberger handles similar issues with his wide receivers.

“Never heard the first complaint,” Cotchery said. “This man gets hit, and all he does is line up for the next play. Mentally, I don't think there are too many NFL players at any position who can match him. He's that tough.”

That sound like a quitter to you, someone scrambling for a parachute? Scouting out his NFL paradise?

Look, it's easy when things are going well. When Roethlisberger entered the NFL, he went 15-1, won a Super Bowl right away and was living … well, too large at times. It all came so effortlessly.

He's matured a ton since then. He's in control of his life and, to a great extent, his career. But this, no doubt, is the greatest challenge of that career. And trust me, based on talks we've had on this topic, he views this in exactly that way: He wants to be that guy who leads the Steelers back. He wants to be that Mario Lemieux to the Penguins, that Andrew McCutchen to the Pirates, that player who carries himself with pride through the hard times with an aim of being rewarded at the end.

That's his next goal, not some escape.

The Steelers and the Rooney family stood by Roethlisberger once, and he has stood by them. There's nothing at all complicated here.

Doesn't mean he's eager to be part of some long-term rebuilding. Nor that he's done counting his Super Bowl rings against those of Tom Brady and others. He wants to win and win now.

When I asked Sunday if he felt these Steelers can add to that ring total with him, he didn't hesitate: “Very.”

In fact, he didn't hesitate with any of his replies in angrily rejecting the NFL Network report as “B.S.” and “totally false” and “made up.” And he became even more impassioned when talking about the foundation of it: “To me, it's about giving everything I have to this organization and this fan base. That's what I'm going to do. I'm not quitting on anything, this season, this team or these fans. I'm going to give everything I have. This is home.”

Only words?

Sure, right up until the media session was done and Benjamin Todd Jr., his 1-year-old son sporting a little No. 7 jersey, leaped into his arms. And they headed home.

Read more:
    [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5039855-74/roethlisberger-steelers-ben#ixzz2kO6v3WgJ[/URL]

Sorry that story doesn't tell me anything about the rumors being true or not.

I know this....

Ian Rappaport works for the NFL. Not for the media. He is not allowed to air anything unless it has gone through the proper channels. Those people also work for the NFL. Per his own words about this...

"I talked about it with our producers, our editors, there’s a certain process of making sure that what I’m saying is not hearsay and comes from the right people and what you saw was the result on air yesterday.”

And finally, Ian Rappaport is getting thrashed over his report. If this isnt true it will all die down. But if it is, you can bet he is going to eventually throw that source under the bus. And someone is really going to look bad. He is taking a beating. At some point he is going to not want to take it anymore.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh please. The editors and producers are just as unethical as the reporters. The only thing they look at is if they can sued. Otherwise - print it b/c its a headline. Bad publicity is still publicity. And he'll never reveal his source or he'll never have a source again. This kind of tripe gets thrown out there all the time and the reporters know that 1 out of 10 they might get called on it. So what. No one remembers in a month anyway.
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Oh please. The editors and producers are just as unethical as the reporters. The only thing they look at is if they can sued. Otherwise - print it b/c its a headline. Bad publicity is still publicity
    yep.. this is a non story IMO and dude is getting trashed by other reporters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Oh please. The editors and producers are just as unethical as the reporters. The only thing they look at is if they can sued. Otherwise - print it b/c its a headline. Bad publicity is still publicity. And he'll never reveal his source or he'll never have a source again. This kind of tripe gets thrown out there all the time and the reporters know that 1 out of 10 they might get called on it. So what. No one remembers in a month anyway.
    I'd say they want this kind of publicity anyways. Who knew who Ian Rapaport was before this story? Some people have to act like an idiot to get attention.

It's 2 days later and we're still talking about it. That's a great story for the NFLN. It'll have legs until the next dumb story makes the rounds. Anyone hear Mike Tomlin wants to work for an owner committed to winning? Anyone hear Troy wants to move back to CA to play for the 49ers?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Maybe this is why Colbert went to scout Louisville's Bridgewater which would cost a high 1st rounder.

btw... I'm NOT in favor of that pick. I'd rather keep Ben.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.