Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: In a game of Crowd Control; Steelers 1, Ben Roethlisberger 1!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Maybe this is why Colbert went to scout Louisville's Bridgewater which would cost a high 1st rounder.

btw... I'm NOT in favor of that pick. I'd rather keep Ben.
    I believe this leak (rumors), was just the ground work for what is to come. And let's see the mood and atmosphere when a few more losses come. And unfortunately they are coming.

The Bridgewater thing is a good point. Why on earth did they send Colbert as well as scouts to see him? The place where a Bridgewater is selected and the investment in that type would force a team to want to play him sooner rather than later.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I believe this leak (rumors), was just the ground work for what is to come. And let's see the mood and atmosphere when a few more losses come. And unfortunately they are coming.

The Bridgewater thing is a good point. Why on earth did they send Colbert as well as scouts to see him? The place where a Bridgewater is selected and the investment in that type would force a team to want to play him sooner rather than later.
    If there is a quote from Colbert saying he went to see Bridgewater then I'd like to see it. From one of the scouts that actually went to the game:

While Brooks liked the idea of replacing Manning with Bridgewater, Jeremiah said the Louisville quarterback would not be an upgrade over Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.

"If the Steelers have a top-5 pick, they should trade it for four offensive linemen. They are so bad up front," Jeremiah said. "I believe in Roethlisberger. I believe you put the pieces around Roethlisberger."

Jeremiah, a former scout for three NFL teams, continued: "From the grades I've handed out, I'd have (Bridgewater) behind (Matthew) Stafford, I'd have him in that Ryan Tannehill group, probably I'd have him behind RG III. I'd have him over (Mark) Sanchez when he came out. I liked Alex Smith when he came out, so grade-wise I'd have him right there with Alex Smith."
    Also the reports I've seen say that Colbert was there to see Coleman who is the 6'6" WR for Rutgers.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe Ben has a lot of trade value at this point of his career.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If there is a quote from Colbert saying he went to see Bridgewater then I'd like to see it. From one of the scouts that actually went to the game:

Also the reports I've seen say that Colbert was there to see Coleman who is the 6'6" WR for Rutgers.

Why do you need a quote from Colbert saying he went to see Bridgewater? The fact that he is there should speak volumes. He doesnt take a trip mid season to go see a WR who is probably a 3rd round pick.

That's hardly surprising; the Jags are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback. And so is this: Buccaneers director of scouting Eric Stokes will also be there. But this should raise a few eyebrows: [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers"]Steelers[/URL] GM Kevin Colbert will be there, too.
    So what's that all about?
    The simple answer: Colbert is doing his due diligence.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24063043/20-nfl-teams-expected-to-watch-teddy-bridgewater-on-thursday[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't believe Ben has a lot of trade value at this point of his career.
    If Carson Palmer returned 2 first rounders, I'd have to think that Ben has the same value, if not more.

And I'm not advocating Ben. But if you do, the return that the Raiders got for Palmer should be the starting point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If Carson Palmer returned 2 first rounders, I'd have to think that Ben has the same value, if not more.

And I'm not advocating Ben. But if you do, the return that the Raiders got for Palmer should be the starting point.
    Ben will fetch more than 2 first rounders. Teams are desperate for a QB who could give them a chance to win a super bowl. And there are several teams in the league who are just that one piece away.

And when a Steeler Source leaks that they fielded offers for him last year, when it wasnt necessary to say this, it tells me they are sending a message to the rest of the league, what you offered last year wasn't enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

I read that the Raiders gave up a 1st and conditional 1st round pick for Palmer. The Raiders only gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Palmer because they didn't make the AFCCG.

Forget about what Ben accomplished in the past. Based on Ben's play this season, would you give up two first round picks for him at this stage of his career?? I wouldn't give up two first round picks for Ben.

If a team were desperate enough to give up two first round picks for Ben I'd make that deal at the end of the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I read that the Raiders gave up a 1st and conditional 1st round pick for Palmer. The Raiders only gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Palmer because they didn't make the AFCCG.

Forget about what Ben accomplished in the past. Based on Ben's play this season, would you give up two first round picks for him at this stage of his career?? I wouldn't give up two first round picks for Ben.

If a team were desperate enough to give up two first round picks for Ben I'd make that deal at the end of the season.
    And there's a good chance we turn those picks into Ziggy and Mendy. Might as well just dump Ben's body in the river if that's what we're gonna get.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And there's a good chance we turn those picks into Ziggy and Mendy. Might as well just dump Ben's body in the river if that's what we're gonna get.
    I guess the safest thing to do would be to extend Ben running through 2017/18. Offer him 15 to 30 million in guaranteed money with a total contract value of 50+ million. Regardless of the money it doesn't appear resigning Ben is going to be cheap. Based on this season, is Ben on the decline? Will Ben's production/play warrant another big contract extension?

There are risks involved no matter what decisions the organization makes. Having 4 first round picks over the next couple of drafts would increase the organizations chances of getting the next QB for the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess the safest thing to do would be to extend Ben running through 2017/18. Offer him 15 to 30 million in guaranteed money with a total contract value of 50+ million. Regardless of the money it doesn't appear resigning Ben is going to be cheap. Based on this season, is Ben on the decline? Will Ben's production/play warrant another big contract extension?

There are risks involved no matter what decisions the organization makes. Having 4 first round picks over the next couple of drafts would increase the organizations chances of getting the next QB for the team.
    There's a lot of QBs picked every year and there's only 6 SuperBowl winning QBs in the league and 3 that have won multiple titles. Odds are heavily stacked against us or anyone picking a franchise QB. It just doesn't happen all that often.

And 2 of the 6 weren't first rounders (Brees and Brady).

The best odds are just riding out Ben and seeing what he can do for the rest of his career. And in 6-8 years, try to draft his successor.