Thread: Steelers rookie Thomas to face former coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers rookie Thomas to face former coach

Steelers rookie Thomas to face former coach, BillsBy DALE GRDNIC

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-rookie-thomas-face-former-204101962--nfl.html[/url]

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Shamarko Thomas didn't take it personally when the Buffalo Bills and new coach Doug Marrone skipped over the hard-hitting safety in the first four rounds of the NFL draft.

That's despite Marrone coaching Thomas at Syracuse for four years.

''I know it's a business,'' Thomas said. ''It probably wasn't all his call anyway.''

That doesn't mean Thomas wouldn't mind a chance at showing Marrone what he missed out on when the Steelers (2-6) play the Bills (3-6) on Sunday.

''After the game, we'll talk,'' Thomas said. ''Now, I just have to focus on my game and get myself better ... I know Coach Marrone is keeping them disciplined over there, so they'll be tough.''

Something Thomas proved to Marrone over and over again during their time with the Orange. Thomas injured his shoulder during warm-ups before a game during his senior season, to the point where Marrone figured Thomas' college career was over.

''I said, 'Do you want to have surgery now or do you want to wait until after the season?''' Marrone said. ''He said, 'Coach, I'm finishing the season, and we're going to a Bowl.' I was like 'Whoa.'''

Thomas did finish the season. And the Orange did go to a bowl, crushing West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.

."
    Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone stands on the sideline during the second quarter of an NFL foo …
    Ten months later, Thomas and Marrone will share a field once again, each trying to prove himself at football's highest level.

The Bills have been competitive but erratic thanks to almost comical injury problems at quarterback. Meanwhile, Thomas has been nothing short of a revelation.

Pittsburgh took Thomas in the fourth round believing he could one day take over for Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu. While Thomas isn't quite there yet, the early returns are encouraging.

Thomas has 22 total tackles, including 16 solo and four on special teams. He's impressed defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau with his instincts and adapted quickly to working at Polamalu's spot when the Steelers put in six - or sometimes seven - defensive backs.

''We obviously liked him when we drafted him, and he did a great job in the preseason for us,'' LeBeau said. ''So, we put him in there, and he's done pretty well so far ... in terms of running and hitting. And, again, I think he's got a really good future in the NFL.''

Notes: T Kelvin Beachum (knee), G David DeCastro (ankle), DE Cam Heyward (knee), TE Heath Miller (not injury related), CB Ike Taylor (concussion), C Fernando Velasco (thigh), WR Markus Wheaton (finger) and ILB Vince Williams (concussion) all practiced on Friday and are expected to play Sunday. T Marcus Gilbert (ankle) is questionable. So is T Mike Adams (ribs), who did not practice Friday

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This would be a non-story, except for the fact that Marrone saw fit to take a Safety five spots before the Steelers took the Sharknado. That move speaks volumes.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    This would be a non-story, except for the fact that Marrone saw fit to take a Safety five spots before the Steelers took the Sharknado. That move speaks volumes.
    Just saw that article in the paper. Interesting. How is the player they took doing?

Uhh! I think it is Volume III where it says sometimes new coaches do not get the input on decisions they would like to have etc etc.

I wouldn't doubt this applies to a team like Buffalo who seem to be changing coaches about as often as I change roles of toilet paper.

The opposite is in Vol :1. Some coaches like Bill Cowher for example come in and take over and I mean take over. This usually bodes well for their new teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This guy is going to be a missile today. I am expecting at least one turnover and one "wow" hit. time to get the kids outta the pool.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Shamarko 1, Marrone 0

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know he got injured, I hope its not serious. I would hate to see a promising young rookie go down. As for The Shark vs Marrone. I could care less. I really believe in the rook and would love to see him succeed, no matter who it's against. He just seems like one of those guys you root for. Glad he is Black n Gold.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    This guy is going to be a missile today. I am expecting at least one turnover and one "wow" hit. time to get the kids outta the pool.
    guess I was way off lol! any word on his injury??

ankle injury as listed, no update I can see yet anyway.
    Last edited by thor75; 11-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.