Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. LeBeau article (ESPN)

Starter

User Info Menu

D. LeBeau article (ESPN)

PITTSBURGH -- The blame game -- with a twist -- continued to play out at Steelers headquarters with Dick LeBeau pointing a finger at himself for the problems Pittsburgh has had defensively. The Steelers have given up rushing yards and big plays at an alarming rate this season, and they yielded 55 points and 610 yards of total offense in a loss at New England last Sunday. “We’ve got to make sure that we get back to fundamentals,” LeBeau said Thursday. “We’ve gotten away from those and that’s on me. We’re leaving too many windows and we’re getting hit in some of those windows. We’re going to close them up. We’ve gone back to page one and you’re going to see an improved defense.” The Steelers’ defense has been unrecognizable compared to the ones usually led by LeBeau. Age has caught up with a unit that leads the NFL scoring defense, rushing defense and sacks since 2004 when LeBeau returned for a second stint as the Steelers’ defensive coordinator. And the Steelers have not gotten the kind of contributions from younger players such as [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15799/jarvis-jones"]Jarvis Jones[/URL] and [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14109/cortez-allen"]Cortez Allen[/URL] that they had hoped for at the start of the season. But LeBeau said the Steelers’ problems stem from players not staying in their gaps and carrying out their assignments. When asked if that is a result of players trying to do too much, LeBeau said, “If I knew exactly why we’ve been getting out of position we wouldn’t be getting out of position. But we’ve got to stop getting out of position and get where we’re supposed to be and see what we’re supposed to see. Just play good, solid fundamental defense, and we’ll play well.” That the Steelers have not done that consistently has led to criticism of the 76-year-old LeBeau -- and raised questions about whether opposing teams have figured out one of the most innovative defensive minds in NFL history. “The play calling hasn’t changed. The playcaller hasn't changed. It's us,” free safety [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4301/ryan-clark"]Ryan Clark[/URL] said. “He's the same guy. We aren’t executing the way we're supposed to on game days and when you don't do that you become susceptible to big plays.” Steelers players have fiercely defended LeBeau this week. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he has not lost faith in LeBeau. "I'd rather not be in the situation where that type of question comes up," LeBeau said. "We're all in this together. We play bad and we all have a bad game. I certainly take my full ownership to that. We’re not going to duck our head, we're not going to tuck our tail. This is a league of competitors, we’re going out to compete, that’s what we’re going to do."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/2341/lebeau-takes-blame-for-defensive-lapses?ex_cid=espnapi_public[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's easy to blame it on younger players, but the biggest lapses in fundamentals/not staying in their gaps and carrying out their assignments to this point, came from three of the teams veterans. Lamarr Woodley versus Oakland on the Terrell Pryor TD run, Troy Polamalu versus the Patriots on the 34 yard TD pass to Danny Amendola, and Lawrence Timmons versus the Vikings on Adrian Petersons 7 yard TD run.

This is LeBeau though. Loyal to the veterans.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

The playcalling hasn't changed, but the NFL has.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    It's easy to blame it on younger players, but the biggest lapses in fundamentals/not staying in their gaps and carrying out their assignments to this point, came from three of the teams veterans. Lamarr Woodley versus Oakland on the Terrell Pryor TD run, Troy Polamalu versus the Patriots on the 34 yard TD pass to Danny Amendola, and Lawrence Timmons versus the Vikings on Adrian Petersons 7 yard TD run.

This is LeBeau though. Loyal to the veterans.
    Why do people refuse to accept what the players say? Woodley did exactly what he was suppose to do. He was to crash down on the RB. Here are some quotes from REAL players:

[url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/woodley-not-to-blame-for-failing-to-contain-pryor-on-long-td-run/[/url]
    [url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10/timmons-says-pryor-td-run-was-on-him/[/url]

Timmons says he it was his fault along with several other REAL players. But I guess you guys know better than the players right? Just ridiculous.

Timmons accepted responsibility...........“That was on me, for sure,” Timmons said. “I was so zoned in on the dive (Pryor’s fake to running back Darren McFadden). That’s definitely a play I should have made. I’m supposed to scrape outside and make that play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems like everything Charlie Batch says comes true. He said DL would take full responsibility even though it wasn't his fault. A week earlier he said we'd play exhausted/crappy in Oakland cause of our messed up travel schedule.

Since he seems to call everything exactly as it plays out, maybe we should bring him back to coach/ Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Ben needs Chuck in his ear to be successful.

Backup

User Info Menu

Coach Lebeau's scheme is not the problem. It is just as effective and potentially dominant as it always has been in my opinion. The reason for our current struggles on that side of the ball are actually not complicated and in fact merely a culmination of sorts. It is a matter of no Casey Hampton, no Potsie (Farrior) No Aaron Smith, no James Harrison (or any dominant outside backer play) It is imperative that you have a dominant unit in terms of your front seven for this system to compensate for suspect defensive backs. During Tomlin's tenure we have not drafted the type of defensive players that could ever be suitable replacements for the players that have moved on. Let alone the type of players that could exceed them in terms of performance and production.

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Planet, Rod!

Any relation to Troy?

Legend

User Info Menu

So what you're saying is Lebeau's scheme only works when he has the players that can make it work?
    Wow, that is just brilliant...
    How about adjusting your scheme with the players you do happen to have?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    So what you're saying is Lebeau's scheme only works when he has the players that can make it work?
    Wow, that is just brilliant...
    How about adjusting your scheme with the players you do happen to have?
    because you can't just trash your entire scheme and personnel due to one or two players. The players we have have been brought in for the current scheme. Trashing that scheme because we don't have a casey hampton would throw the scheme off for 10 other players.
    Also, if guys like Foote don't get hurt we're fine. IF guys like T'amu don't do stupid crap we're fine.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Coach Lebeau's scheme is not the problem. It is just as effective and potentially dominant as it always has been in my opinion. The reason for our current struggles on that side of the ball are actually not complicated and in fact merely a culmination of sorts. It is a matter of no Casey Hampton, no Potsie (Farrior) No Aaron Smith, no James Harrison (or any dominant outside backer play) It is imperative that you have a dominant unit in terms of your front seven for this system to compensate for suspect defensive backs. During Tomlin's tenure we have not drafted the type of defensive players that could ever be suitable replacements for the players that have moved on. Let alone the type of players that could exceed them in terms of performance and production.
    Of course it is... You have great players, guess what: you will have a great defense.

BUT! It is silly to discount Lebeau's ability at his age (76). People want to be so d@mn politically correct, and want to ignore what they know is true. Look at these younger coaches dropping like flies (Fox, Kubiak). You know why? It is because there body is telling them, it is too much. The 70-hour work-weeks. The stress. It takes a major toll obviously. You need ENERGY, you need passion, you need the flexibility of mind, and you obviously need the knowledge/experience.

Lebeau has that last one, in spades. But a 70-year old is lacking in the first three. It is just not humanely possible (for a 70-year old), to compete with 40-year olds in those three areas. Just like it would be impossible for a 70-year old to win a footrace with a younger guy. It wouldn't happen.

But we pretend those barriers don't exist. I'm not hating on old folks (I will be one too someday), and I hate to say it because a) I like Lebeau and b) without football, a guy like him might go the way of Paterno (dying off. He could definitely still contribute greatly, as a defensive advisor or positions coach). I'm just speaking as a fan on an internet forum. I want this team to succeed. In terms of defense, unless we get a new fleet of GREAT players soon for him, we will see this sort of (outcoached team) week-in and week-out.