Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Dolphins cut Jonathan Martin, would you consider claiming him on waivers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Serious question. We hear about Clark and Troy mentoring Thomas. About the CB's being mentored by Ike and Cotch mentoring Wheaton. In each of those cases, you have an established veteran/star at a position or group mentoring younger players. Who did/do we have that was an actual mentor type for these young O-Linemen? Pouncey is still a pretty young guy himself. Whimper? I guess maybe Velasco, but he just got here after the first game.
    Good question. We had a guy in here last year who, it seems, would have filled that bill...same guy was arguably our best OL last year...but the coaches didn't want him around this year. If he flat out can't play anymore, fine...but the last time he appeared in a Steelers' uniform, he was playing OK...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Coming out, a scout service described Marcus Gilbert as a "chardonnay drinker" (i.e. soft). As we already know, Mike Adams is Charmin soft. If we added John Martin, lordy... we might as well have Robert Mondavi as our O-line coach.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would consider bringing him in. Our OL needs help. His name isn't Wimper. And Incognito should run for mayor of Toronto (OH, not ON - the mayor there would kick richie's arse).
    Last edited by DukieBoy; 11-09-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I would consider bringing him in. Our OL needs help. His name isn't Wimper. And Incognito should run for mayor of Toronto (OH, not ON - the mayor there would kick richie's arse).
    You from the Valley?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You from the Valley?
    Not from that valley, but familiar with it and think little richie might have opportunities there. From the Allegheny Valley ... Richie might find a place there, too (New Kensington?). Nah.

Backup

User Info Menu

Not from that valley, but familiar with it and think little richie might have opportunities there. From the Allegheny Valley ... Richie might find a place there, too (New Kensington?). Nah.
    After the Steubenville incident, our boys definitely don't need someone like Incognito running around as a role model!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After the Steubenville incident, our boys definitely don't need someone like Incognito running around as a role model!
    That's the absolute truth. Joking aside, I wouldn't want him in any valley, or anywhere else.

Richie is weak. Takes a weak man to behave like that. Or a steroid-infused personality. Find it distasteful that other players are supporting him and/or the culture that supports his behaviors.

Backup

User Info Menu

That's the absolute truth. Joking aside, I wouldn't want him in any valley, or anywhere else.

Richie is weak. Takes a weak man to behave like that. Or a steroid-infused personality. Find it distasteful that other players are supporting him and/or the culture that supports his behaviors.
    True. I mean, I know I'm not the most PC guy out here ... but to me, the thing is that if you treat people with human decency and act like you demand the same, most of the tim you won't have any problems. A meat head like Incognito? It's obvious that he was intimidated by the fact that Martin was smarter than him ... I do wonder though, would Martin have progressed better in his year and half of NFL football if he did not have the "extra" B.S. to deal with ... I mean, that kind of mental stress has to reflect in your play

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

True. I mean, I know I'm not the most PC guy out here ... but to me, the thing is that if you treat people with human decency and act like you demand the same, most of the tim you won't have any problems. A meat head like Incognito? It's obvious that he was intimidated by the fact that Martin was smarter than him ... I do wonder though, would Martin have progressed better in his year and half of NFL football if he did not have the "extra" B.S. to deal with ... I mean, that kind of mental stress has to reflect in your play
    It seems to me that this Incognito matter presents a window of opportunity for the NFL to use its public spotlight to stand against bullying in a societally relevant and effective way. Bullying in rampant among youth, and a major social problem and problem in schools, a public health issue IMO.

Backup

User Info Menu

Agreed. However, as we have seen with the concussion issue and others, the NFL doesn't act unless/until the issue hits close to home.