Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. LeBeau article (ESPN)

Legend

User Info Menu

Making an adjustment is not trashing your scheme....
    A good coordinator is one who can make the proper adjustments during games and during the season.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think the argument there would be that as mentioned,....changing your entire scheme from the one that is your craft (3-4) to a completely different one because you have been given nearly entirely average to below average 4-3 personnel to work with is unreasonable and illogical. Certainly in any scheme it's nearly impossible to have exceptional players every position. But it's my opinion that in order to get back to our identity on defense there needs to be at least a 60-40 split in favor studs that fit a 3-4 as opposed to kind of players that we have been drafting and personnel decisions we have been making since Coach Cowher retired.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    So what you're saying is Lebeau's scheme only works when he has the players that can make it work?
    Wow, that is just brilliant...
    How about adjusting your scheme with the players you do happen to have?
    I think what he is trying to say is that if the expectation is a top 5 defense, you have to have the talent. It would take a miracle of coaching to get average players to be a top unit in the modern NFL. Sure, it can happen. Just not very likely.

Legend

User Info Menu

What pisses me off is the fact that we have a NT in McLendon that obviously isnt an anchor in the middle.
    We have a huge fire hydrant named Fangupo that wears street clothes every week.
    We have musical OLBers in Worilds and Jones.
    A starting FS whose best years are behind him and a SS that is playing wreckless.
    Our CBs still play 10 yards off the receivers.
    Our multi million dollar OLB is asked to drop into coverage.
    Dick took the defense in the last few years as one that was feared to one that is smeared.
    Even the announcers last week said you're not going to stop Brady by playing so passive.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

all that being said, I think buffalo is lucky if they get 13. Criticism of LeBeau is taken to heart by this defense. Everything above is true, but I take exception to the Troy comments. Dude is playing his ass off trying to overcompensate for others. I do not want another safety period. It's a sad day in the burgh when he goes. Can't fault the guy for trying to make a difference.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Troy's criticized because he's often injured, or criticized because he's out of position. That's fine. But I'll take 43 anyday. No injuries this year. and he's all over the place. It has been a pleasure. I'll take some more please. Dude is a football player, bar none.