Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any free agents that could help this team?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Any free agents that could help this team?

Maybe Nnamdi Asomugha could switch and play FS? Any NT out there like Jay Ratliff maybe? Are these guys to old and broke down? Or are the problems to big for this team as Dub be preaching? Should they pack it in? Is it time to play all young guys on the roster? Plan for the future and let the chips fall how they will? Are there any young practice squad guys out there the Steelers should look at? I don't see any change really at all till next season. Some players will come in some will move on. How many here see a loss coming this Sunday?

Legend

User Info Menu

I for one would like to see what some of the younger guys have.
    I've seen enough of Clark,Hood and Ike.
    What i'd love to see is Troy go to FS and let Shamarko play SS.
    On offense, Sanders is just average IMO.
    I'd like to see Moye get more playing time.
    Also, Heath just doesn't look like Heath any more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I for one would like to see what some of the younger guys have.
    I've seen enough of Clark,Hood and Ike.
    What i'd love to see is Troy go to FS and let Shamarko play SS.
    On offense, Sanders is just average IMO.
    I'd like to see Moye get more playing time.
    Also, Heath just doesn't look like Heath any more.
    I think Wheaton will be back. I'd love to see Fangupo get some reps.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

well when you're 2-6, I just don't see why you wouldn't play the young guys, get them some reps, study them, see who can play, see who cannot. Especially if you foresee letting some veterans with heavy salaries walk next year. Can Brown play? Pre-season says no, let's make sure before we lost another 3rd round draft pick? How Ike Green? Golden? Fangupo? Play them, see where we really are in the youth department. Maybe you wait till you're mathematically eliminated for this?
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

The reason you don't just pack it in and play young guys is because coaches don't want to lose their team. While you might sprinkle in the young guys, you play to win. Playing "preseason" games during the regular season sends a bad message to the team and ultimately creates a losing environment...a giving up environment. That's why you won't see it done.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The reason you don't just pack it in and play young guys is because coaches don't want to lose their team. While you might sprinkle in the young guys, you play to win. Playing "preseason" games during the regular season sends a bad message to the team and ultimately creates a losing environment...a giving up environment. That's why you won't see it done.
    playing aging vets who are half-assing it is a worse message IMO...

I think playing more young guys once the season is over (statistically speaking) will put these old vets on notice. As long as you reward failure with playing time things won't change.

Legend

User Info Menu

Checked our cap lately? We won't be going after any free agents of any ability worth getting excited about. We need significant cuts next year just to get under the cap without adding any new money.

Only way we are going to rebuild this team is with young players and getting them contributing sooner rather than later.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    playing aging vets who are half-assing it is a worse message IMO...

I think playing more young guys once the season is over (statistically speaking) will put these old vets on notice. As long as you reward failure with playing time things won't change.
    I don't think it is effort with the older guys. I think it's ability. Clark has lost a step or two this year. Seen it before, where guys hit a wall where they go from being able to contribute to being a liabilty.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I don't think it is effort with the older guys. I think it's ability. Clark has lost a step or two this year. Seen it before, where guys hit a wall where they go from being able to contribute to being a liabilty.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Golden get some reps at FS. He's got some natural coverage ability. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him and Shark as a long term decent pair of Ss.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Golden get some reps at FS. He's got some natural coverage ability. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him and Shark as a long term decent pair of Ss.
    100% agree. Clark is playing very poorly and he shouldn't be back next season.. his time has passed.

Give Golden a shot.

It'll be a good opportunity to see if we need to draft a FS relatively early in the draft. I sure hope not because we have a TON of needs. We need some of these younger guys like Golden to step up.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.