Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Perspective on Woodley

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This year we've done a much better job of rushing the ILB and not relying totally on the OLB to get the pressure. Everyone called for Mclendon because he can get push on the qb, BUT he can't hold the point of attack, which is much more important. Having a rookie ILB on his side has also hindered Woodley because he's being asked to cover a lot more than he has in the past.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    This year we've done a much better job of rushing the ILB and not relying totally on the OLB to get the pressure. Everyone called for Mclendon because he can get push on the qb, BUT he can't hold the point of attack, which is much more important. Having a rookie ILB on his side has also hindered Woodley because he's being asked to cover a lot more than he has in the past.
    I keep thinking if they're gonna drop JJ behind Worilds on the depth chart, why not give him a chance to see what he can do on the inside next to Timmons. I think Williams is a little limited as an athlete. JJ seems to have this relentless hustle about him even though he seems like he can't rush the QB. I keep thinking we got another Timmons in JJ and he just might not be cut out for the outside at this level?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For the record, some of the vaunted names that Woodley has faced include: David Stewart, Matt McCants, Jordan Mills (R), Austin Howard, Marcus Cannon... Let's be honest: He should have good numbers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    For the record, some of the vaunted names that Woodley has faced include: David Stewart, Matt McCants, Jordan Mills (R), Austin Howard, Marcus Cannon... Let's be honest: He should have good numbers.
    But he's also had success when healthy throughout his career. It's not a 1 time efficiency as a pass rusher.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I keep thinking if they're gonna drop JJ behind Worilds on the depth chart, why not give him a chance to see what he can do on the inside next to Timmons. I think Williams is a little limited as an athlete. JJ seems to have this relentless hustle about him even though he seems like he can't rush the QB. I keep thinking we got another Timmons in JJ and he just might not be cut out for the outside at this level?
    I think JJ could excel at both positions. I completely agree with you that he needs to be on the field before Williams is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like the idea of JJ inside also. Move him around from left middle right even. At this point I would even move Woodley and Worilds around. Can't hurt much or really get any worse then it was with Sylvester in the middle last game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I like the idea of JJ inside also. Move him around from left middle right even. At this point I would even move Woodley and Worilds around. Can't hurt much or really get any worse then it was with Sylvester in the middle last game.
    Could you guys even imagine if he worked out inside given that he offered the coaches to play inside as soon as Foote went down and they turned him down?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'd rather keep JJ on the outside.

It's like Tomlin with his o-lineman....playing musical chairs with them during training camp all the time. Let the guys practice their REAL positions and start to gel (especially the o-line) before you move them all over the place.

JJ will be fine. Honestly, he's the least of my worries with this team. He simply needs some strength training in the offseason.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    The idea of Jones inside isn't as crazy as it sounds. Tedy Bruschi was also a sack demon in college, who lacked characteristics outside (i.e. ranginess, speed) but became a force inside. The problem with this angle, is Jones stenosis issues. Neck stenosis isn't conducive to butting heads with Guards and Fullbacks day-in, day-out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Recently, we even have a little push in the middle. In our nickel, Heyward and Keisel have applied pressure (especially Heyward). It has improved in the last few games. Our real problem in the last game was that we allowed our DBs to jump routes and guess too much. This type of freedom must be controlled and not be obvious to guys like Tom Brady. And, we still can't stop the run so play action is killing us as LBs and safeties overcommit when they see run.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.