Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sunday's game is the perfect example of why we should draft a....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why do we need to draft a top 10 tackle but other teams find guys in later rounds?
    I think it depends on the kind of LT you want, if you want serviceable it is hit and miss...if you want a probowl guy you have to go first round Top 10. Since 2004 there have been only 7 pro bowl offensive tackles found after the 1st round. And outside of the top 10 there are only 3 more players...Joe Staley 1-28, Ryan Clady 1-12 and Duane Brown 1-26.

Michael Roos – 1 Pro Bowl (200
    Jason Peters – 5 Pro Bowls (2007-2011)
    Tyson Clabo – 1 Pro Bowl (2010)
    Jermon Bushrod – 2 Pro Bowls (2011, 2012)
    Marcus McNeill – 2 Pro Bowls (2006, 2007)
    Andrew Whitworth – 1 Pro Bowl (2012)
    Donald Penn – 1 Pro Bowl (2010)
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok but how many 1st rd were drafted to be LT but bust out or moved to RT? That can still happen. The Steelers have NOT been doing well picking o line for some time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Ok but how many 1st rd were drafted to be LT but bust out or moved to RT? That can still happen. The Steelers have NOT been doing well picking o line for some time.
    15 OT taken in the top 10 since 2003. 6 of them are pro bowl guys. The other 9 are Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson who are rookies so who knows on them. The remaining are Robert Gallery, Tyron Smith - LT, Eugene Monroe - LT, Andre Smith - RT, Jason Smith, and Levi Brown.

Take out the 3 unknown rookies and 8 of the 12 are high quality Left Tackles in the league.

UDFA

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thanks for that answer. Still not sure how I feel about the numbers. If the Steelers are in the 1-10 spot I still really hope they trade down. But much closer to draft time I could feel different.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Thanks for that answer. Still not sure how I feel about the numbers. If the Steelers are in the 1-10 spot I still really hope they trade down. But much closer to draft time I could feel different.
    For me it depends on who is available. I don't want the steelers picking a project guy. That's why I want Matthews. He is the most pro ready. If he is gone I'm all for trading down and filling the holes they have all over the team

UDFA

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    What? Nobody here thinks we badly need an ILB? Foote isn't getting any younger, Spence isn't a guarantee, and the replacements are below average. I'm fine with working on the secondary but ILB is quickly becoming a priority.
    We don't need Foote around next year. We didn't need him this year. Vince Williams who is gaining valuable experience and Sean Spence will be fighting it out for the starting ILB spot next year. We'll probably draft a late round guy.

I would pick a LT, CB, FS, NT, WR, and TE (no particular order) all before ILB.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    For me it depends on who is available. I don't want the steelers picking a project guy. That's why I want Matthews. He is the most pro ready. If he is gone I'm all for trading down and filling the holes they have all over the team
    They won't trade down this coming year but they might the following year.

The problem with us trading down is that many of the roster spots are going to be filled next year which would require us to cut half the guys if we stockpiled picks.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    CB with our no. 1 pick

CB, S or OL with our 2nd round pick

CB or S with our 3rd rnd pick

S. Thomas didn't look the part, our secondary got shredded. Polamalu takes to many chances and has maybe 1 good year left. Clark ditto.

Ike is in his 30's. That leaves Allen as the only guy on the secondary that will be on the team in 2 years making plays. WE MUST REBUILD THIS SECONDARY NOW!!!

Any CB's or Safeties worthy of the no. 6-12 pick in the draft? List um here!
    Last game was a disaster, but the D was gashed in a different way than in any other game this season. For the most part, nobody has been able to throw on this D the way that the Pats did. On the other hand, everybody runs against this team, and even that happened again. The biggest issue with the D is up front, both in run D and pass rush.

Up until the New England game, Gay was being praised for his work this year. Troy's gambles turned out much worse on average than usual, and throughout the rest of this season. Ike was beaten worse than any other team has done so this year...and Clark played another bad game.

On the flip side, the front seven collectively had another awful outing. Despite three sacks, there was no consistent pressure on Brady. They were run through like a peewee team, and those times that they got their hands on the runner, he was able to break the tackle.

If you want to state that the secondary has to be restocked due to age, then that is fair. If you want to point to the secondary (other than Clark) and say that because of last game they have proven to be the biggest need, then that is just wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

If this team gets the chance to draft an elite-type LT, they need to take him. Period.

After that, they can look to address other needs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    We don't need Foote around next year. We didn't need him this year. Vince Williams who is gaining valuable experience and Sean Spence will be fighting it out for the starting ILB spot next year. We'll probably draft a late round guy.

I would pick a LT, CB, FS, NT, WR, and TE (no particular order) all before ILB.
    trust me.. we needed him this year. It's great that Williams is getting experience but I would prefer it if he beat out Foote instead of being thrust into the fire.