Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday's game is the perfect example of why we should draft a....

Backup

User Info Menu

Sunday's game is the perfect example of why we should draft a....

CB with our no. 1 pick

CB, S or OL with our 2nd round pick

CB or S with our 3rd rnd pick

S. Thomas didn't look the part, our secondary got shredded. Polamalu takes to many chances and has maybe 1 good year left. Clark ditto.

Ike is in his 30's. That leaves Allen as the only guy on the secondary that will be on the team in 2 years making plays. WE MUST REBUILD THIS SECONDARY NOW!!!

Any CB's or Safeties worthy of the no. 6-12 pick in the draft? List um here!

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure any CBs/Ss rate that high this year.

I will buck the trend of saying our biggest need is a LT and agree our biggest area of need is on the D side of the ball right now. We need to generate more QB pressure and become better tacklers in the box. And the real difference makers in the 3-4 are the OLBs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up taking Anthony Barr.

That's a kid that has the kind of talent that teams will have to double him and it could change the entire complexion of our D. He very well might be the best player on the board when we pick. And I'm still a huge advocate of taking BPA rather than drafting for need.

I'd really like to see us get a guy like Austin Seferian Jenkin in round 2. I think he's the kind of player that could pull a safety/LB out of the box, help the run game, and open up things on the outside for Brown/Sanders. Getting him and Heath involved in the passing game could help slow down the pass rush more than a LT. I really think with Ben's game, it's more valuable to get him a big target/weapon vs a blocker cause any lineman is going to struggle with the way Ben holds the ball anyways. And this Jimmy Graham clone could change the complexion of our O.

We'll have to see where we end up at the end of the season, but if things lined up like today, this is the way I'd go. Probably a little unexpected, but I think both these guys could pay huge long term dividends for this team. Not exactly need, but the best guys who I think will be available when we pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

big WR, athletic TE, then go defense.

Administrator

User Info Menu

An elite LT because there isn't an elite safety, NT, or big WR like CJ or AJ Green that will be BPA at a position of need. LT would fit.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

When was the last time we drafted an O-Lineman in the first round and it worked out for us? There is a reason you wait. This year maybe an exception as we maybe picking as early as 5-8. I hate picking WR and Olinemen in the first.

No CB's in the top 20? It is to early for me to start looking at these college kids.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    When was the last time we drafted an O-Lineman in the first round and it worked out for us? There is a reason you wait. This year maybe an exception as we maybe picking as early as 5-8. I hate picking WR and Olinemen in the first.

No CB's in the top 20? It is to early for me to start looking at these college kids.
    Pouncey and DeCastro?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Not sure any CBs/Ss rate that high this year.

I will buck the trend of saying our biggest need is a LT and agree our biggest area of need is on the D side of the ball right now. We need to generate more QB pressure and become better tacklers in the box. And the real difference makers in the 3-4 are the OLBs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up taking Anthony Barr.

That's a kid that has the kind of talent that teams will have to double him and it could change the entire complexion of our D. He very well might be the best player on the board when we pick. And I'm still a huge advocate of taking BPA rather than drafting for need.

I'd really like to see us get a guy like Austin Seferian Jenkin in round 2. I think he's the kind of player that could pull a safety/LB out of the box, help the run game, and open up things on the outside for Brown/Sanders. Getting him and Heath involved in the passing game could help slow down the pass rush more than a LT. I really think with Ben's game, it's more valuable to get him a big target/weapon vs a blocker cause any lineman is going to struggle with the way Ben holds the ball anyways. And this Jimmy Graham clone could change the complexion of our O.

We'll have to see where we end up at the end of the season, but if things lined up like today, this is the way I'd go. Probably a little unexpected, but I think both these guys could pay huge long term dividends for this team. Not exactly need, but the best guys who I think will be available when we pick.

So do you trade Woodley and his salary? I like the idea of Jenkins. You see what athletic TE's do to our D!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well IF the Steelers have the 5-8 pick I hope some team falls in love with a QB and trades with us. We need quite a bit of new high caliber blood. Plus a trade down in the 1st makes more sense then trading away Ben to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    So do you trade Woodley and his salary? I like the idea of Jenkins. You see what athletic TE's do to our D!
    The really messed up thing about taking Barr is he's built to play the right side where JJ is.

You could also look at packages to get Woodley, JJ, and Barr on the field together. Remember, JJ offered to play inside when Foote went down and he does have some experience there. He might be able to move inside and might even be better suited just as Timmons was. I'm a little perplexed by JJ. He doesn't really look like a great pass rusher off the edge.

As far as Woodley goes, I'd still keep him until I was sure I had someone to replace him. As much as he gets dogged, I think he's looked fairly good and he'd have more pressure/sacks if we did a better job of collapsing the pocket in the middle and giving him better angles to the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

What? Nobody here thinks we badly need an ILB? Foote isn't getting any younger, Spence isn't a guarantee, and the replacements are below average. I'm fine with working on the secondary but ILB is quickly becoming a priority.