Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown was benched Sunday, but will start this week

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    When Wallace wanted extra money to what the Steelers offered, instead of securing their best weapon, they got childish & overspent on Brown.
    Do you really believe that? I'm not sure they overpaid Brown as a knee jerk reaction. I think they likely believed he deserved the contract. While Brown's numbers as a WR didn't look deserving of the kind of money he was getting, the Steelers saw him in practice and by all accounts the kid has a tremendous work ethic and I suspect the Steelers valued him a little based on that potential. Plus he had a lot of value as a returned at that point.

Most would agree we overpaid. Of course. But I don't think the Steelers would do that without thinking he was worth it? Our history with paying WRs is kinda interesting. We didn't pay Plax, Wally, Santonio, Nate and others paid them all handsomely. Then with Ward and Brown, we seemed to overpay on both. What's really confusing about the Steelers is trying to figure out how they value and are willing to pay WRs? There has to be a system and it's not so knee jerk. And they seem to value something beyond pure production on the field.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Chadman - Have you watched Wallace play his year? He's garbage and not worth anywhere near the type of money he was offered.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Do you really believe that? I'm not sure they overpaid Brown as a knee jerk reaction. I think they likely believed he deserved the contract. While Brown's numbers as a WR didn't look deserving of the kind of money he was getting, the Steelers saw him in practice and by all accounts the kid has a tremendous work ethic and I suspect the Steelers valued him a little based on that potential. Plus he had a lot of value as a returned at that point.

Most would agree we overpaid. Of course. But I don't think the Steelers would do that without thinking he was worth it? Our history with paying WRs is kinda interesting. We didn't pay Plax, Wally, Santonio, Nate and others paid them all handsomely. Then with Ward and Brown, we seemed to overpay on both. What's really confusing about the Steelers is trying to figure out how they value and are willing to pay WRs? There has to be a system and it's not so knee jerk. And they seem to value something beyond pure production on the field.
    It's all relative...

Is Antonio Brown overpaid? Possibly...but, so far this year, he is in the top 10 in the NFL for catches, yards and first downs...

Is Antonio Brown overpaid compared to Mike Wallace? Hell no...

Legend

User Info Menu

I think benching Brown was the right move at the end of the game, and quite frankly, I'd bench him for the first play of this game to send a message. Two weeks ago, Brown drops a ball on the sidelines in a crucial situation because he loses focus. Last week, he runs the wrong route, leading to an INT. He lacks discipline, and whatever the coaching staff needs to do to get through to him, they should do.

He is talented and exciting with the ball in his hands, but the constant mental lapses end up cancelling out any good that he does.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think benching Brown was the right move at the end of the game, and quite frankly, I'd bench him for the first play of this game to send a message. Two weeks ago, Brown drops a ball on the sidelines in a crucial situation because he loses focus. Last week, he runs the wrong route, leading to an INT. He lacks discipline, and whatever the coaching staff needs to do to get through to him, they should do.

He is talented and exciting with the ball in his hands, but the constant mental lapses end up cancelling out any good that he does.
    ..and the first play will probably be a running play. What kind of message does that send?

If you are going to bench someone you bench them for the first quarter /half like Billicheat did with Wes Welker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Before we all go off comparing Wallace & Brown's numbers- ask yourself this-

When Wallace was happy as a Steeler, how successful were the Steelers?

When Wallace was unhappy as a Steeler/ signed by Miami- how successful were/are the Steelers?

Chadman's argument all along was that when happy, Wallace made the Steelers better. And his production, when happy, exceeded Brown's.

When Wallace wanted extra money to what the Steelers offered, instead of securing their best weapon, they got childish & overspent on Brown.

Has Brown been successful? Yes. But he still could have & certainly SHOULD have been signed for less.

Without Wallace this offense has regressed.

Forget the personal stats & look at the results.

How has Miami's Offense gone with Wallace?
    I think a better question is how did/would Wallace look in Haley's offense? This isn't BA's offense...

It's also short sighted to look at the results and base them off of having or losing Wallace.

We also lost Hampton, Foote, JH, Lewis, Mendenhall, Pouncey and Heath... and our OT's suck....

This year Miami is 19th in points, 28th in total yards, 21st in passing yards and 22nd in rushing yards

Last year Miami was 27th in points, 27th in total yards, 26th in passing and 17th in rushing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ..and the first play will probably be a running play. What kind of message does that send?

If you are going to bench someone you bench them for the first quarter /half like Billicheat did with Wes Welker.
    Even benching him for a play takes a start out of his stat sheet. My thought on benching him for a play - a series - whatever - is to send a message without cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Legend

User Info Menu

Even benching him for a play takes a start out of his stat sheet. My thought on benching him for a play - a series - whatever - is to send a message without cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    I prefer chewing him out when they watch the film...

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin doesn't seem to know how to do this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It's all relative...

Is Antonio Brown overpaid? Possibly...but, so far this year, he is in the top 10 in the NFL for catches, yards and first downs...

Is Antonio Brown overpaid compared to Mike Wallace? Hell no...
    Again, I'm struggling to understand this. This guy is with the league leaders in receiving. He's not being paid like Megatron... AB probably makes Top 20 money. How is that possibly overpaid?