Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Stopping the Run

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379

    Stopping the Run

    In our 6 losses, we've given up over 100 yards rushing. In our 2 wins, we've given up less than 100 yards. Could the real problem be that we simply can't stop the run on Defense?

    If we look at the difference in the front 7 since last year - it's Hampton, Harrison, and Foote. Have McClendon, Williams, and Jarvis killed the defensive front's ability to stop the run? Has this amplified the defensive problems we have?

    I think tackling is the biggest problem. If we made tackles consistently, we'd probably be at least 4-4. If we made tackles and didn't turn the ball over, we'd probably be 7-1 right now.

    If we could stop the runs, offenses would have to be one dimensional against us. And we could pin our ears back and go after the QB. And the pressure might lead to more turnovers?

  2. #2
    If the Steelers didn't miss tackles and didn't turn the ball over, they probably would be doing much better...this is true....

    They aren't nearly good enough to overcome self inflicted wounds...

  3. #3
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,493
    Screw stopping the run.... it's not important. It's a passing league, remember?

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Screw stopping the run.... it's not important. It's a passing league, remember?
    Lol. The funny thing is it's traditionally been a passing league as far as the Steelers were always concerned because no one could run on us, so why bother trying. And it's ironic that now that we can't stop the run, teams can all of a sudden pass so much more easily against us even though they've always been trying to pass against us all along.

  5. #5
    So far this season...

    The Steelers rank 12th in the league in YPG allowed.

    They are 4th in passing YPG allowed.

    They are 31st in rushing YPG allowed.

    Ordinarily, for a 2-6 team, that could be explained by teams blowing us out early and just running the ball all second half, but that has not been the case. On top of that, a huge chunk of that 210 passing yards against came last week when the D was hit for more than double their average.

    Considering the D's inability to create a pass rush, the secondary has held up well so far this year. These numbers, and my eyes, tell me that the biggest problem is that this D cannot stop the run. The other issue is third down efficiency.

  6. #6
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    714
    I think there's no question that our inability to stop the run has made everything else worse. This has become a defense that has no answer for anything. We can't stop the run. We can't stop the pass (short, medium and long) and we aren't tackling particularly well. I don't remember the last time we had a defense like this.

    I don't lay all this on LeBeau. It's loss and lack of talent that's gotten us here. It's possible that a new coach with an all new scheme could make better use of the players we do have.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think there's no question that our inability to stop the run has made everything else worse. This has become a defense that has no answer for anything. We can't stop the run. We can't stop the pass (short, medium and long) and we aren't tackling particularly well. I don't remember the last time we had a defense like this.

    I don't lay all this on LeBeau. It's loss and lack of talent that's gotten us here. It's possible that a new coach with an all new scheme could make better use of the players we do have.
    Is a lack of talent also an excuse for Haley? Was it for Arians? They both have had to deal with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, plus not having a top RB.

    My complaint with LeBeau is not what he does when he has his perfect fit and combination of players, its easy for any coordinator then. But what he hasn't done when he hasn't had just the right players is where he is failing. He continues to run the same old template like the actual skills of the players aren't a factor.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is a lack of talent also an excuse for Haley? Was it for Arians? They both have had to deal with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, plus not having a top RB.

    My complaint with LeBeau is not what he does when he has his perfect fit and combination of players, its easy for any coordinator then. But what he hasn't done when he hasn't had just the right players is where he is failing. He continues to run the same old template like the actual skills of the players aren't a factor.
    What's he supposed to do with what he's got? Switching this personnel to a 4-3 wouldn't work. Pressing WRs wouldn't work with a single high safety that can't cover.

    I'm not buying that DL isn't trying to adjust. He's pretty much dropped Troy into the box to account for the lack of talent in the front 7. He's got the DLine trying to penetrate because the LBs aren't getting pressure and our DLine play can't hold their gaps.

    And the biggest problem on this D is we aren't making tackles. What can Lebeau do to make these guys tackle better? I have a hard time believing that he went senile and that's the reason the D can't tackle. Players just aren't making plays.

    The most basic principles of DL's D are stopping the run and tackling the catch to prevent big plays. And if guys on the field aren't doing either of these, the whole system breaks down. There's pretty much nothing any DC could do to look good if his guys aren't tackling.

  9. #9
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,493
    I know a lot of people will probably praise Foote and criticize V. Williams for our rush defense but the reality is that the inability to stop the run is most likely due to our poor NT play.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I know a lot of people will probably praise Foote and criticize V. Williams for our rush defense but the reality is that the inability to stop the run is most likely due to our poor NT play.
    Agree about NT play. Although I do think losing Foote hurt the D way worse than anyone thought it would at the time.

    I wonder if the future holds a lineup of Mclendon at DE, Fangupo at NT, and Heyward at the other DE. A 3-4 defense really needs a plugger in the middle, not a slasher which is why I wonder if Mclendon (who has shown some talent at getting into the backfield) might be better suited at DE.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •