Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Run

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    doesn't fit ovis narrative.

left unsaid is that he is the one who constantly called for mclendon instead of "fat casey".

I guess we see how that has worked out.
    Well, the same old narrative that St LeBeau is using the same old template doesn't hold water. I wish Fangupo would get a hat one of these days because then we might be able to go back to the same old template that seemed to work very well up until recently. LeBeau has been forced to tinker with what has worked because of the loss of quality players like Harrison, Foote, and Hampton without adequate replacements.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Yup I SAID HARRISON WOULD BE MISSED as a run defender. He was statistically without peer as a 3/4 LB against the run. EVEN LAST SEASON OLD HARRISON, was among the leagues best against the run.

Think Casey was the key cog? LAST SEASON we got torched against the run during JHs injury WITH Casey. After JH came back we finished strong against the run.

People said "it is a passing league who cares". Look at what happens when you cannot defend the run. Torched TWICE by the Raider run game in consecutive seasons. Constant? No Harrison.
    Great point. Harrison could hold the edge when teams ran in his direction and he was also a beast pursuing from the backside.

As Chadman pointed out, I also think the lack of a NT hurts. The Steelers don't have enough bulk up front to keep their LBers clean, and the LBers are not fighting through blocks.

Starter

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, all of this is just too true. But I suppose the bad news is there does not seem to be any answers.

Maybe bringing up that Fango guy could help, but geez, I don't think he has even been activated yet this year.

This Buffalo team is really not that bad. For some reason TS[the Steelers] have been made a 3pt favorite in this game.??

Buffalo certainly can run the ball,and both their starting and backup QB's are supposed to be ready and will play. Only thing I can figure is the oddsmakers must think TS will be able to exploit the Bills secondary and score some points. I do not have a good feeling about this game. Hope I'm wrong.

Last week TS faced one of the worst run D's in the league and did not do much at all. Buffalo run D is not much better. So what might happen is TS will fiddlejack around trying to exploit this and get behind again then ehh same old script. Hope not though. But, TS do have to showcase their new RB to show that they did not make a colossal mistake and if that doesn't work so good, bad things will probably happen. I am just going to watch and hope for an inspired performance on both sides of the ball. LOL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steve Mclendon needs to be bumped out to DE. He's so much like Kimo that it's not funny. Remember how much we struggled with him at NT? The we bumped him outside and ended up in the super bowl. Mclendon can be a disruptive guy, he just isn't strong and fat enough to control the point of attack. Our strength is in our linebackers. They need to be the ones creating the pressure for a reason. Unfortunately Steve runs himself out of plays all too often.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Steve Mclendon needs to be bumped out to DE. He's so much like Kimo that it's not funny. Remember how much we struggled with him at NT? The we bumped him outside and ended up in the super bowl. Mclendon can be a disruptive guy, he just isn't strong and fat enough to control the point of attack. Our strength is in our linebackers. They need to be the ones creating the pressure for a reason. Unfortunately Steve runs himself out of plays all too often.
    Yep. Which leads to both safeties coming up to help in run support, which leads to this defense getting beat for more big plays this season than any other in recent memory.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Yep. Which leads to both safeties coming up to help in run support, which leads to this defense getting beat for more big plays this season than any other in recent memory.
    I wonder if all those people who complained that Casey couldn't get any push are happy now?

Legend

User Info Menu

It's the reason why Louis Nix is going to be on the Steelers draft board. McClendon might be the biggest liability on D. It's not that I think he is a bad player. But, he isn't a NT.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    It's the reason why Louis Nix is going to be on the Steelers draft board. McClendon might be the biggest liability on D. It's not that I think he is a bad player. But, he isn't a NT.
    Couldn't agree more. And also with the thread consensus of how vital the NT is. But, where was everyone when the board in general was pooh-poohing the drafting of one real high the past several years?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. And also with the thread consensus of how vital the NT is. But, where was everyone when the board in general was pooh-poohing the drafting of one real high the past several years?
    Don't look at me! I've been pulling for a NT in the 1st two rounds for the last 3 years.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Don't look at me! I've been pulling for a NT in the 1st two rounds for the last 3 years.
    I know. Every year lately a number of fans would start out with NT as one of the priority picks but then slowly but surely it would get overwritten by an even greater priority then slowly disappear.

Not that it was not the correct thing to do then, but now it has become a problem. I guess it's a case of too many holes and not enough pegs.

The Steelers have dropped to #31 in run D now. It would really be something special if they could come up with some way to stop this slide.