Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

is delusional to say the least. I would however like to see LeBeau retire and the Steeler's go to a 4-3. I think Haley is 50/50 to return I think they need to win 7 games for him to save his job. This is what I would like to see the roster look like next year for a quick turn around. I don't believe we need to blow it up

Gone- Clark, Cotchery,Keisel,Hood,Foote

RDE-Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds
    DT-Cam Heyward, Al Woods
    DT-Steve McClendon, Nick Williams
    LDE-Lamar Woodley, Chaz Sutton (7th rd South Carolina)
    ROLB-Morgan Breslin (2nd round USC), Terrence Garvin
    MLB-Vince Williams,Sean Spence
    LOLB-Lawrence Timmons, ????
    CB-Ike Taylor, Aaron Colvin (3rd round Oklahoma)
    CB-Cortez Allen, William Gay
    FS-Shamarko Thomas, Robert Golden
    SS-Troy Polamalu, Kenny Ladler (4th rd Vandy)

QB-Ben, Grad, Jones
    RB-Leveon Bell,James Wilder Jr. (4th rd FSU), Dwyer
    FB-Will Johnson
    WR-Antonio, Manny, Wheaton, Moye, Justin Brown
    TE-Heath Miller,Colt Lyerla (6th rd Oregon)
    LT-Cam Erving (1st rd FSU),Marcus Gilbert
    LG-Maurkice Pouncey,Ramon Foster
    C-Fernando Velasco, Gabe Ikard (5th round Oklahoma)
    RG-David DeCastro, Nik Embernate
    RT-Kelvin Beachum,Mike Adams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    is delusional to say the least. I would however like to see LeBeau retire and the Steeler's go to a 4-3. I think Haley is 50/50 to return I think they need to win 7 games for him to save his job. This is what I would like to see the roster look like next year for a quick turn around. I don't believe we need to blow it up

Gone- Clark, Cotchery,Keisel,Hood,Foote

RDE-Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds
    DT-Cam Heyward, Al Woods
    DT-Steve McClendon, Nick Williams
    LDE-Lamar Woodley, Chaz Sutton (7th rd South Carolina)
    ROLB-Morgan Breslin (2nd round USC), Terrence Garvin
    MLB-Vince Williams,Sean Spence
    LOLB-Lawrence Timmons, ????
    CB-Ike Taylor, Aaron Colvin (3rd round Oklahoma)
    CB-Cortez Allen, William Gay
    FS-Shamarko Thomas, Robert Golden
    SS-Troy Polamalu, Kenny Ladler (4th rd Vandy)

QB-Ben, Grad, Jones
    RB-Leveon Bell,James Wilder Jr. (4th rd FSU), Dwyer
    FB-Will Johnson
    WR-Antonio, Manny, Wheaton, Moye, Justin Brown
    TE-Heath Miller,Colt Lyerla (6th rd Oregon)
    LT-Cam Erving (1st rd FSU),Marcus Gilbert
    LG-Maurkice Pouncey,Ramon Foster
    C-Fernando Velasco, Gabe Ikard (5th round Oklahoma)
    RG-David DeCastro, Nik Embernate
    RT-Kelvin Beachum,Mike Adams
    Agree on all accounts. We don't have the players for the 3-4 and IMO haven't for the past couple years. Only way to rapidly rebuild the defense is to let new players from college play positions they are familiar with...not sit and watch.

I also see Jarvis Jones more as a OLB even in the 4-3 than an impact 4-3 DE.

SKL--do you really think the Steelers or any other team even sniff at Colt Lyerla?
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-05-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Agree on all accounts. We don't have the players for the 3-4 and IMO haven't for the past couple years. Only way to rapidly rebuild the defense is to let new players from college play positions they are familiar with...not sit and watch.

I also see Jarvis Jones more as a OLB even in the 4-3 than an impact 4-3 DE.

SKL--do you really think the Steelers or any other team even sniff at Colt Lyerla?
    On the Jones front I just think the one thing he does well is rush the passer, liability at this point in coverage.

As far as Lyerla no I don't think they would. With 1st round talent though I would take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th.

Legend

User Info Menu

On the Jones front I just think the one thing he does well is rush the passer
    Curious why you'd say this? I just haven't seen it. About the only thing I've noticed positively about JJ is he is relentless. He will chase down a play after he gets blocked out of it and never gives up before the whistle. Kid's got some energy, but that's about it. He doesn't look like he's that hard to block.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Curious why you'd say this? I just haven't seen it. About the only thing I've noticed positively about JJ is he is relentless. He will chase down a play after he gets blocked out of it and never gives up before the whistle. Kid's got some energy, but that's about it. He doesn't look like he's that hard to block.
    Totally agree Flippy. I mentioned this during the draft time. In the video before the draft, he never seemed to overpower blockers or have a great pass rush move. He just seems to be high motor and plays to the whistle. Hopefully we can make him more than he is now. That is why I would see him as an OLB in the 4-3 not a DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The kid is being asked to grasp an incredibly complex D (which is where his "problems with assignments" arise). All he had to do in college is go get the QB. Rarely does an OLB come in and contribute in all phases and packages in this league. He is being asked to play a majority of the snaps because of his talent and ability to cause chaos. However he is experiencing paralyzation by analyzation . Turn him lose and let him do what he does best. Let him learn the nuances over time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Totally agree with you re: JJ.

Ovi, I know you rail against this all the time, but there's a reason that rookies don't generally come in and thrive in this D. Too much thinking. Now that the playoffs are essentially out of the picture, it's time to play JJ, Shamarko, Cortez, and the rest of the young players extended minutes. Don't try to placate the vets on this team at the expense of the future starters. The writing should be on the wall for some of the older players who won't be here next year. Get this transition underway already.

Legend

User Info Menu

The kid is being asked to grasp an incredibly complex D (which is where his "problems with assignments" arise). All he had to do in college is go get the QB. Rarely does an OLB come in and contribute in all phases and packages in this league. He is being asked to play a majority of the snaps because of his talent and ability to cause chaos. However he is experiencing paralyzation by analyzation . Turn him lose and let him do what he does best. Let him learn the nuances over time.
    I think we would see an immediate improvement if we threw out 50% of the tricks and just played "beat your man" football.

Hell, I think the same could be said for our OL. Too many times I see our OL doubling inside and ignoring a guy right in front of him or diving at a guys feet so he can get walked on like a red carpet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Saying it's complex is fine and I'm sure it is. But when he goes after the QB, I really don't see him being that big of a threat either.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do not believe this current 3-4 is all that much more complexed than the one he played at for Georgia. This is a total misconception. And the solution to then ask him in year 2 of his pro career to then change position and learn a new defense is not much of one at all.

Georgia's D-coordinator Todd Grantham runs nearly the same one he learned under Nick Saban.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash