Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    With regard to Haley: Anyone here think that coaching is a learning experience unto itself? i.e. You aren't the coach you were five years ago? (Presumably, you have gotten better?)

And given that, since we've invested two years now into Haley, we should look to continue along--instead of changing course, hiring a new OC, and the players having to adapt again? That is what bad teams do.

I mean presumably, those who want Haley gone, also want a change in offensive philosophy (different system). How long before our team grasps that? And how many years do we have in Ben, that we want to blow on him and the offense learning a new system?

Think back to Coughlin way back when, as an example of a coach "improving" or adapting. He had strict rules, in terms of being on time, etc. The GIANTS bristled against it, and the team suffered. But it was only until Coughlin was willing to be more accomodating (of the pro game), that we saw the GIANTS become the team they did. He learned.

I think Haley should be given that opportunity too (and I think he's taken it, to a degree).
    Remember Ray Sherman? I wouldn't have given that guy another two years to "mature as a coach" ... Heck, at least he had the character to realize he wasn't accomplishing what he was hired to do ... That said, there has been "some" improvement with implementing Haley's scheme ... tough call ... I think that given where this team is (young and with questionable talent), if an OC came along that I believed was a better candidate to lead this offense, I'd think hard and maybe not so long about replacing Haley.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

yup.......................

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is a bit difficult to here them on the Sunday night Saints vs Cowpies game talk about Shawn Lee being widely recognized as perhaps the best inside linebacker in the NFL, and to remember that we passed him by in favor of Tomlin's Worilds project.

Backup

User Info Menu

dead-horse.jpg

seriously ...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Uhhh...you might want to go back and read...he was talking about Grantham, not Saban....

But thanks for the very thorough explanation of Saban's coverages. I have learned a bit from reading this thread.
    Uhhhh...you might want to go back and read....this is how it went down..

Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=581546#post581546"][/URL]The kid is being asked to grasp an incredibly complex D (which is where his "problems with assignments" arise). All he had to do in college is go get the QB. Rarely does an OLB come in and contribute in all phases and packages in this league. He is being asked to play a majority of the snaps because of his talent and ability to cause chaos. However he is experiencing paralyzation by analyzation . Turn him lose and let him do what he does best. Let him learn the nuances over time.

And then I said.....

I do not believe this current 3-4 is all that much more complex than the one he played at for Georgia. This is a total misconception. And the solution to then ask him in year 2 of his pro career to then change position and learn a new defense is not much of one at all.

Georgia's D-coordinator Todd Grantham runs nearly the same one he learned under Nick Saban.

But SKL seems to have the same reading comprehensions as you do. He tried to tell us all that you cannot compare Georgia's 3-4 to that of the Steelers the 3-4. It is far to complex than the college 3-4 he suggested. He then added that the college 3-4's typically uses a vanilla coverage behind a 1 gap technique front. This was way out the side of his neck!

And that is when came back and told him this was not true and showed proof that they run a two gap 3-4. I added the coverage they use which shows that they are far from vanilla.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 11-11-2013 at 02:35 AM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    The fact of the matter is this thread got derailed by YOU (because thats what you do) over my belief that Jarvis Jones is not up to speed with LeBeau's schemes. It has nothing to do with "middle of the field safety coverage". I don't care what Nick Saban does at Alabama (just because they coached on the same staff 15 years ago doesn't mean their playbooks are EXACTLY the same). I am talking about Georgia and Todd Grantham. You can cut and paste articles all you want from things you read online. I am talking about what I see from tape and the program that Grantham/Richt run at Georgia (in particular relating to the LBer play from the rush LB spot that Jarvis Jones played and what they ask from that position. I could care less about "middle of the field safety coverage" The bottom line is that if Jones was up to speed he would not be still splitting time with Worilds in situational football. Don't give me the concussion crap either!!! You basically told me I don't know football,and don't know the differences between variations of the 3-4, which is what I have done my whole life. You are a blowhard that does nothing but read articles online posted by amateurs and start threads that "toot your own horn. Anyone who knows me on here knows that I don't get confrontational with anyone and mostly only talk about player evaluation and moves i feel(or have heard) the Steelers should/will make. You are a gasbag who ALWAYS contradicts everything I say. If I say the sky is blue you say no it's not. You always dig up 2 year old posts that say "look at me I told you this would would happen", funny how you never dig up all the utter crap that you post like Matt Barkley is the man or Rahim Moore or Alameda Ta'amu should be our first round pick!!" I have zero time for your nonsense and twisting of facts. Have a nice life and I'm done with you. I am sure some will continue to stroke your ego, but not me.
    Dude you were wrong. Neither Alabama nor Georgia run a 1 gap technique 3-4 and neither do either one of them play a vanilla coverage behind it. Pasting articles or parts of playbooks that are online are to show facts that substantiate the truth. The truth that shows what your opinion, or how he see it on tape, is flat out wrong!!
    I never said that Alabama and Georgia's playbooks on defense are the same. What I have said is, their 3-4 arevery similar. Same with the Steeers 3-4. If you say that Alabama and Georgia runs a 1 gap technique 3-4 based on what you see on tape, yet they come out and say they run a 2 gap technique and break down how they do it, means you are wrong, and two, maybe you dont understand what it is you are seeing??

I like how you try to muddle what I post. Like a magician and the slight of hand trick. You're right, the "middle of the field safety coverage", has nothing to do with what Jarvis Jones. You added that to him. I didnt. It was to counter your claim that Alabama and Georgia run a vanilla coverage behind their front 7. I get you SKL. I know what you are all about. I have never once called you a name or attacked you personally. Yet you call me a blow hard and continue to throw what you think are complete misses on some players who have actually only been in the league 1 or 2 years.

You are childish. If I prove you wrong, you resort to this. Think about it. Who is the one with the ego problem? More like, "crushed ego" problem?

I for one would like to hear you give your first ever analysis of a pro prospect. No, not what scouts have told you while you are hanging on their legs at the Senior Bowl every year. But what you yourself think and know.
    Let's see you put it out there every year without having to ask scouts what they think. See how you stand up against the PlanetSteelers firing squad every year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Todd Grantham's 3-4 might have just as much in common with Romeo Crennel's 3-4 that he learned in Cleveland...which would make sense, as both Saban and Crennel learned the 3-4 from Belichick...

Both of which are different from Dick LeBeau's 3-4...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Dude you were wrong. Neither Alabama nor Georgia run a 1 gap technique 3-4 and neither do either one of them play a vanilla coverage behind it. Pasting articles or parts of playbooks that are online are to show facts that substantiate the truth. The truth that shows what your opinion, or how he see it on tape, is flat out wrong!!
    I never said that Alabama and Georgia's playbooks on defense are the same. What I have said is, their 3-4 arevery similar. Same with the Steeers 3-4. If you say that Alabama and Georgia runs a 1 gap technique 3-4 based on what you see on tape, yet they come out and say they run a 2 gap technique and break down how they do it, means you are wrong, and two, maybe you dont understand what it is you are seeing??

I like how you try to muddle what I post. Like a magician and the slight of hand trick. You're right, the "middle of the field safety coverage", has nothing to do with what Jarvis Jones. You added that to him. I didnt. It was to counter your claim that Alabama and Georgia run a vanilla coverage behind their front 7. I get you SKL. I know what you are all about. I have never once called you a name or attacked you personally. Yet you call me a blow hard and continue to throw what you think are complete misses on some players who have actually only been in the league 1 or 2 years.

You are childish. If I prove you wrong, you resort to this. Think about it. Who is the one with the ego problem? More like, "crushed ego" problem?

I for one would like to hear you give your first ever analysis of a pro prospect. No, not what scouts have told you while you are hanging on their legs at the Senior Bowl every year. But what you yourself think and know.
    Let's see you put it out there every year without having to ask scouts what they think. See how you stand up against the PlanetSteelers firing squad every year.

You are out of control. STOP with ALABAMA crap, the point was about Jones and the GEORGIA football team. He did not play ball for Nick Saban. You talk about slight of hand all you do is muddle the conversation with crap that was never referenced. What did I add to Jarvis Jones? Safety coverage schemes? As far as my not posting a player evaluation I have posted dozens of them on here over the years. I used to do it for a living. First ever? What world do you live in? What Planet Steelers firing squad? Like I said I'm done with you. By the way you may have noticed how Worilds played most of the game yesterday. Must be that nagging concussion Jones has.

Legend

User Info Menu

The "PlanetSteelers firing squad"

hahahaha!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    You are out of control. STOP with ALABAMA crap, the point was about Jones and the GEORGIA football team. He did not play ball for Nick Saban. You talk about slight of hand all you do is muddle the conversation with crap that was never referenced. What did I add to Jarvis Jones? Safety coverage schemes? As far as my not posting a player evaluation I have posted dozens of them on here over the years. I used to do it for a living. First ever? What world do you live in? What Planet Steelers firing squad? Like I said I'm done with you. By the way you may have noticed how Worilds played most of the game yesterday. Must be that nagging concussion Jones has.
    How many times do I have to say it? There is only so many things you can do with a 3-4. If you run a two gap 3-4 zone blitz, they are going to be similar nearly across the board. Georgia and Grantham run nearly the same defense as Saban, who he learned it from. Same thing with LeBeau and his 3-4. And if you dont believe me and insist that I am wrong, then prove it.

Show me all these things that you seem to think are so different.

I have shown you their philosophy. I have shown you their fronts. I have shown you their gap responsibilities. I have shown you their blitzes. I have shown you their coverages.

So what is so different?

Explain it. Shouldn't be so hard since it is your job/life.

Guess what?

You can't