Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Most of us have been saying for YEARS that we needed a future FS and a NT. I didn't expect Clark to be this horrible this season but I knew NT was going to be an issue. I've been screaming the need to invest in a future NT for years. In fact, I said that the last Hampton signing was desperation because they dragged their feet on the NT position and it came back to bite them. Years later... it's biting them again (for the 2nd time).

I'm still a bit disappointed in the release of Ta'amu because I thought that was at least our best attempt to fill the NT need.
    don't forget SS. Sorry, but where things started going wrong IMO is when they stopped actually having the NEXT MAN step up BEFORE the veteran's play fell off. At one time, the "STEELER WAY" meant "thanks for your service aging vet ... but, we don't anticipate paying you for declining play".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Is that what you read form my post? Read it again. Slowly. I am knocking the fact that you think just by adding those 4 to the starting lineup it is going to result in a quick turn around for the Steelers. Those were your words.

Now, take your hatred towards me and put it aside. Half the things you think I am saying, I am not. It's kind of making you look like...well...you know. If there was anyone on this forum who is all for starting young players, it's me. Think about it.

Keep taking shots at me because you think I am saying one thing, when I am not, makes you look pretty immature.

Don't confuse me hating you with me thinking you have a questionable eye for talent and a ridiculous concept of reality in today's NFL. The fact that you are comparing the Georgia D playbook as comparable to the Steelers is comical to say the least. Do you talk to college coaches each year? Have you been inside a college program recently? If you have you would know that a college weekly install has roughly half the plays of an NFL team. Please stop boring me with your weekly trade Ben and draft garbage crap. If we listened to you we would have drafted Rahim Moore and Matt Barley as first rounders.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Well, I'd tend to believe Charlie (he's recently been on the team). Still, can't rely on the fact that DL will always be as healthy as he appears now. He's in his late 70's for crissakes ... that said, I wonder if the Butler as future DC thing is an ongoing "well if something happens to DL during the season, we've got a built in acolyte" type thing?
    I know he's old, but he really doesn't look it or act it in person. If I didn't know him or how old he was, I'd probably peg him somewhere in his 50s. I really don't think he's going anywhere at the end of the season. I actually think it would make sense for him to go into the playoffs with us and then announce it will be his last season. I bet you'd get guys playing out of their mind to win one more SuperBowl for him.

I still think somehow the Steelers will let him coach til the day he dies. Heck we might even go all Weekend At Bernies with him and have some guys walking him around the sideline as a puppet whenever his time comes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Butler did ok with Timmons considering he was drafted to be an OLB which was a big mistake and he was able to turn him into a 3-4 ILB which is a very difficult position. Tomlin overdrafted him because he was slobbering all over Timmons knob during the draft process because he was a "run and hit LB" which is another stupid Tomlinism. Worilds was another "run and hit" LB that was overdrafted.
    butler was the one that tried to convince the staff to draft hightower when he was still there when we picked decastro. he was also involved and "very happy" when we took 3 LBs in the draft a few years ago (worldis, gibson, sly).

with him as DC will all our high F**king picks be LBs??
    the guy has two #1 picks and two 2nd round picks in his unit and they are below average (sacks, turnover etc etc). how much high end talent does he need to coach a good unit. for christs sake at least the OL has an excuse that they are pretty young. what's the LBs excuse?

yes, he was promised to take over for DL. pretty sure he was given a bigger contract too for staying with them, so hopefully the extra money cushions the blow when they hire someone else.

IMO, he certainly wont be back if there is a head coaching change like some of you are hoping for
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 11-06-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bulter wanted to draft Arthur Brown in Rd 2 IIRC...

Butler would want 4 Rd-1 LBers for Steelers and they still will struggle to see the field. Two Rd 1 and Two Rd 2 picks and Steelers LB unit is not even average. Maybe it is the coaching.

Time for Steelers to look outside the organization for DC.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Bulter wanted to draft Arthur Brown in Rd 2 IIRC...

Butler would want 4 Rd-1 LBers for Steelers and they still will struggle to see the field. Two Rd 1 and Two Rd 2 picks and Steelers LB unit is not even average. Maybe it is the coaching.

Time for Steelers to look outside the organization for DC.
    In fairness, he only coaches the LBs. What's he supposed to ask for his unit? A punter? Seriously, I don't know how you fault a LB coach for wanting to draft LBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the discussion of whether or not Butler should be the next DC based on the number of linebackers that he has developed is flawed. As DC, he would not be required to develop linebackers anymore, that job would fall onto the new position coach, so I don't care if he is good at it anymore, unless the question becomes "Would you retain Keith Butler as linebackers coach?"

This is the same flawed logic that gets head coaching jobs for outstanding position coaches like Wade Phillips and Norv Turner, taking them away from what they actually do very well.

If Butler is to become the DC, then I want to know his overall defensive philosophy, and the roles that he would set forth for the players he already knows so well. Would he step into an interview and state "I am a Lebeau disciple, so I would not make any fundamental changes"? Would he tweak the system? "I would insert a big body like Fangupo into the nose position and force the offense outside into my rushing linebackers"? Would he scrap the 3-4 altogether and switch to a 4-3, or some hybrid D of his own invention that accounts for the onslaught of passing in today's NFL?

These are the types of questions that I want answered by a DC candidate, because his ability to develop linebackers would become much less relevant at that point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that the discussion of whether or not Butler should be the next DC based on the number of linebackers that he has developed is flawed. As DC, he would not be required to develop linebackers anymore, that job would fall onto the new position coach, so I don't care if he is good at it anymore, unless the question becomes "Would you retain Keith Butler as linebackers coach?"

This is the same flawed logic that gets head coaching jobs for outstanding position coaches like Wade Phillips and Norv Turner, taking them away from what they actually do very well.

If Butler is to become the DC, then I want to know his overall defensive philosophy, and the roles that he would set forth for the players he already knows so well. Would he step into an interview and state "I am a Lebeau disciple, so I would not make any fundamental changes"? Would he tweak the system? "I would insert a big body like Fangupo into the nose position and force the offense outside into my rushing linebackers"? Would he scrap the 3-4 altogether and switch to a 4-3, or some hybrid D of his own invention that accounts for the onslaught of passing in today's NFL?

These are the types of questions that I want answered by a DC candidate, because his ability to develop linebackers would become much less relevant at that point.
    You are being far too logical. How dare you!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Don't confuse me hating you with me thinking you have a questionable eye for talent and a ridiculous concept of reality in today's NFL. The fact that you are comparing the Georgia D playbook as comparable to the Steelers is comical to say the least. Do you talk to college coaches each year? Have you been inside a college program recently? If you have you would know that a college weekly install has roughly half the plays of an NFL team. Please stop boring me with your weekly trade Ben and draft garbage crap. If we listened to you we would have drafted Rahim Moore and Matt Barley as first rounders.
    Comical? Really? I have proven on this forum many times that the 3-4 that Nick Saban runs is just a complex as that of LeBeau's. And when you use the term "comparable" and insinuate that a college 3-4 can never be comparable to that of the one the Steelers run shows me a lot about you and your knowledge of the game. News Flash!! Every 3-4 is comparable. There is only so many things you can do with them. Variations? Of course. But they are all comparable.

I never suggested that the Steelers should draft Rahim Moore or Matt Barkley with a first round pick. What I said was, they were both 1st round talents in my opinion. But this is you again saying stuff that I never said. That is who you are.

Say what you want about me, I have enough integrity to never personally attack another here, or misquote them.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Would he step into an interview and state "I am a Lebeau disciple, so I would not make any fundamental changes"? Would he tweak the system? "I would insert a big body like Fangupo into the nose position and force the offense outside into my rushing linebackers"? Would he scrap the 3-4 altogether and switch to a 4-3, or some hybrid D of his own invention that accounts for the onslaught of passing in today's NFL?

That should be the "gold standard." Can the guy think outside the box and commit to implementing something of his own that could be better than LeBeau. If Butler is too dogmatic he isn't the right guy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"