Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 139

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Harrison wasn't even on the Ravens long enough to be 'developed' by them. That's just made up.... take a look at the timelines.
    Thank you ... out of all the arguments you originally threw up, you finally settled on one. So, since I asked you to name one player that Butler developed, you have answered my question. You win; you named "ONE" who he "possibly" had a hand in developing.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We used to make a heck of a lot more tackles and stop the run back when that Jag was playing Fans wanted rid of Hampton and Harrison too last year and look at how that's turned out.
    the original quote included "according to some, was J.A.G. for most of his career." Didn't say I was one of those. For every Kirkland, there's a Holmes. For Every Farrior, there's a Foote. What is Batman w/o Robin. The guy that quietly does his job and puts up decent numbers is always undervalued by fans wanting every team member to be "SPECTACULAR". Larry Foote (assuming he won't be back) was one of those guys.

  3. #63
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,384
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    the original quote included "according to some, was J.A.G. for most of his career." Didn't say I was one of those. For every Kirkland, there's a Holmes. For Every Farrior, there's a Foote. What is Batman w/o Robin. The guy that quietly does his job and puts up decent numbers is always undervalued by fans wanting every team member to be "SPECTACULAR". Larry Foote (assuming he won't be back) was one of those guys.
    I wasn't implying you thought that specifically. Just making the comment in general. I've been reading and I'm in the same boat as you with Butler. I honestly don't know what he's done to be assumed to be the anointed one?

    I just get a little impression from hearing him occasionally that he revels in the complexity of the defense and I'd like to see a little of that mindset go away with whoever eventually takes over for Lebeau.

    Then again, he just might be ready to step in and take over and dominate with the right mix of players like Lebeau traditionally has done?

  4. #64
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,577
    I didn't know this about Butler....

    He was the architect of a surprise 3-4 defensive scheme which led to the U of M's shocking 1996 upset of the #6 Tennessee Volunteers, led by junior quarterback Peyton Manning. He then moved to Arkansas State in 1998 to serve as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

  5. #65
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,384
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I didn't know this about Butler....

    He was the architect of a surprise 3-4 defensive scheme which led to the U of M's shocking 1996 upset of the #6 Tennessee Volunteers, led by junior quarterback Peyton Manning. He then moved to Arkansas State in 1998 to serve as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.
    me either. interesting.

  6. #66
    I'm not totally dismissing the guy either. Somewhere today I read something like "good talent makes great coaches". Maybe Butler will come in with the more attacking style that DL seems to have gotten away from (possibly because of the inexperience of the "good" talent and a general lack of overall talent?). And maybe with an influx of talent I'll have to eat my words. I'd be OK with that.
    That said, I'm just not sold on the guy. I can't see what he's done that's so great that he should just be assumed to have the job without even checking to see who else is out there. I do know that for whatever reason(s) the DL system is not working this year and has seemed to be worse than their actual rankings for the last few years. I'd rather not see the "same 'ol same 'ol" continue under a new DC when DL finally hangs 'em up.

  7. #67
    BTW, I did NOT like Tomlin's comment today that DL would turn it around because "he's Dick Lebeau". Seems like they (Tomlin/Colbert/ARII) are just gonna keep trotting the old pony out there until he falls over because he can't carry the load anymore. Not to be funny, but I have this picture of DL passing away at his desk because he won't retire on his own and his bosses won't "retire" him ... because "he's Dick Lebeau".

  8. #68
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,384
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I'm not totally dismissing the guy either. Somewhere today I read something like "good talent makes great coaches". Maybe Butler will come in with the more attacking style that DL seems to have gotten away from (possibly because of the inexperience of the "good" talent and a general lack of overall talent?). And maybe with an influx of talent I'll have to eat my words. I'd be OK with that.
    That said, I'm just not sold on the guy. I can't see what he's done that's so great that he should just be assumed to have the job without even checking to see who else is out there. I do know that for whatever reason(s) the DL system is not working this year and has seemed to be worse than their actual rankings for the last few years. I'd rather not see the "same 'ol same 'ol" continue under a new DC when DL finally hangs 'em up.
    for whatever it's worth, i heard good ole charlie batch sticking up for DL saying he's not the problem, it's the players. but then he said DL would never say anything bad about any player and he'll take responsibility for everything and will just keep working to try to put the guys in better places to make plays.

  9. #69
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,577
    Most of us have been saying for YEARS that we needed a future FS and a NT. I didn't expect Clark to be this horrible this season but I knew NT was going to be an issue. I've been screaming the need to invest in a future NT for years. In fact, I said that the last Hampton signing was desperation because they dragged their feet on the NT position and it came back to bite them. Years later... it's biting them again (for the 2nd time).

    I'm still a bit disappointed in the release of Ta'amu because I thought that was at least our best attempt to fill the NT need.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    for whatever it's worth, i heard good ole charlie batch sticking up for DL saying he's not the problem, it's the players. but then he said DL would never say anything bad about any player and he'll take responsibility for everything and will just keep working to try to put the guys in better places to make plays.
    Well, I'd tend to believe Charlie (he's recently been on the team). Still, can't rely on the fact that DL will always be as healthy as he appears now. He's in his late 70's for crissakes ... that said, I wonder if the Butler as future DC thing is an ongoing "well if something happens to DL during the season, we've got a built in acolyte" type thing?
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 11-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •