Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 139

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

  1. #91
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    If you got off your soapbox for 2 seconds you would see that I stated in the start of this thread that I would like LeBeau to step aside so not sure how my glasses are rose colored. As far as the PROBABLY quote, without seeing their actual playbooks I can't tell you for sure on the first part, but spending most of my time at college campus's on weekends and looking at gametape I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT THAT THE WEEKLY INSTALL AND SUB PACKAGES IS NIGHT AND DAY BETWEEN COLLEGE AND PRO. i CAN ALSO TELL YOU THAT A PLAYER LIKE JARVIS JONES IS OVERWHELMED FROM AN ASSIGNMENT STANDPOINT. If you can't acknowledge that you know even less than I thought. As far as telling you the difference's not sure how you would like to go about that through this forum but if you would like to throw up plays or film I would
    be glad to break them down for you from a positional assignment and coverage standpoint. Like I said, keep tending to your herd and leave football to those that know what's up.

    By the way your boy Todd Grantham's D is getting torched for 30 plus a game.
    This is exactly what I thought you would say. You talk and talk and talk yet absolutely no proof. You can say all you want about weekly install and sub packages is night and day between college and pro yet can not show me any proof of this nor can you show me any proof that there are major differences in the 3-4 hat LeBeau runs compared to what Saban runs. You would impress me if you could break down and explain the differences between the two 3-4's. But you can't. If you say you can break plays, positional assignments, and coverages, then you should be able to tell this forum what these major differences you claim there are between the 3-4 LeBeau runs and the 3-4 Saban runs.

    But you can't. And just like a little kid who has been proven wrong and can't take it, you take a personal shot at me with the "By the way your boy Todd Grantham's D is getting torched for 30 plus a game" remark.

    When did I ever say anything about me liking Grantham? I simply pointed out to you and feltdizz that he learned the 3-4 from Saban. How is he my boy? But I get it. You got showed up and now you want to lash out. Nice!

    BTW, what you said about Grantham and his D getting torched for 30 plus a game, is another example of you not having a clue. He should be struggling this year since he lost 12 players who started for his defense last year.

    What a shame.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 11-07-2013 at 05:40 PM.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  2. #92
    keep preaching dub.

    always value your contributions.

  3. #93
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Read this and tell me this isn't the exact same things that we see week in and week out with LeBeau and his 3-4.

    http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2013/june/17/alabamas-3-4-defense-d-line-basics


    You guys are amazing!! I get it you just can't see past your Black N Gold colored Steeler glasses. You have to have this image that LeBeau is this genius and no one else comes close to what he does. Hilarious!!

    And if you watch Georgia football side by side with Alabama football, you will see the near same 3-4 run by both of them.

    I would love for one person to have the balls to tell me all the differences there are from LeBeau's 3-4 and Saban's 3-4 (or Georgia's for that matter).

    I guarantee this right here....no one here can do it. Not one. Why?...because there isnt that much of a difference.

    I am calling anyone and everyone out right here and now. Prove it. Let's see who knows what around here. Talk is cheap.

    My guess?????

    Crickets.

    Funny how SKL insists that there are major differences in the two yet states, "Steelers NFL D playbook is PROBABLY 3 times the size of Georgia's and weekly install of plays varies anywhere from 25-50%, whereas Georgia's is PROBABLY 5-10%".

    Is it probably or is it that you really dont know?

    And even funnier is how SKL and feltdizz make these claims and yet didn't eve know the connection that Georgia's defense has with Nick Saban.
    They arent EXACTLY the same things we see every Sunday...

    Everything else you are blabbing about is nonsense...the players in defense have talked about the size of the defensive playbook for years.

    Quick question for you... do you REALLY KNOW or are YOU just blabbing at the mouth? Are you in the staff? In meetings?

    I'm basing my opinion on years of players talking about how tricky and in depth this D is to learn. Pkauers like Deshea saying they had packages they've never used. Harrison being a beast but walking off the field in frustration, storied of the playbook being much bigger than the one on offense.... Now all of a sudden its all lies because JJ isn't up to speed?

    ...and I have no problem admitting I didnt know about the Saban connection because it has nothing to do with Jones play at Georgia. Plenty of coaches have a connection but only a fool would throw his name out 15 years later like he was the players head coach.

    In closing... unless you can provide an EXACT list of why Georgia and the Steelers D is "nearly" the same I think you should pipe down.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.

  4. #94
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    They arent EXACTLY the same things we see every Sunday...

    Everything else you are blabbing about is nonsense...the players in defense have talked about the size of the defensive playbook for years.

    Quick question for you... do you REALLY KNOW or are YOU just blabbing at the mouth? Are you in the staff? In meetings?

    I'm basing my opinion on years of players talking about how tricky and in depth this D is to learn. Pkauers like Deshea saying they had packages they've never used. Harrison being a beast but walking off the field in frustration, storied of the playbook being much bigger than the one on offense.... Now all of a sudden its all lies because JJ isn't up to speed?

    ...and I have no problem admitting I didnt know about the Saban connection because it has nothing to do with Jones play at Georgia. Plenty of coaches have a connection but only a fool would throw his name out 15 years later like he was the players head coach.

    In closing... unless you can provide an EXACT list of why Georgia and the Steelers D is "nearly" the same I think you should pipe down.
    Ok you say these things because of what you have heard others say? But yet you yourself have no knowledge of this yourself? You can't give us specific examples?

    I'll tell you what...anyone who has ever played the game of football at at least the high school level, can tell you that there isnt anything new that LeBeau is doing this season that he hasnt done in the past. All you have to do is watch these games and you can see for yourself if you know what you are looking for or at. There is only so many things you can do with a base 3-4 and same with a base 4-3. We have not seen one new wrinkle on either one of them in the past 40 years.

    My point is, the base 3-4 run by the Steelers is similar to that of every other base 3-4 by anyone else. And this is why a guy like Jarvis Jones was able to come in on year 1 and contribute (as well as even start some games), like no other LB ever has in the history of the Steelers who have played in this 3-4.

    But like I said, no one here or anywhere else can give a list of more than just few things that are different between LeBeau's 3-4 and Saban's 3-4. Of course there are variations and some different thoughts to it, but they are to their very core, similar.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  5. #95
    Are Saban's and LeBeau's defenses similar? Sure. Both of the schemes use 2-gap defensive linemen....

    But, Saban's team can practice what, 20 hours per week?

    Not only has LeBeau run this 3-4 Zone Blitz for much longer than Saban has been in Alabama, he also has the time and opportunity to install many more packages and wrinkles than Saban does...

  6. #96
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Are Saban's and LeBeau's defenses similar? Sure. Both of the schemes use 2-gap defensive linemen....

    But, Saban's team can practice what, 20 hours per week?

    Not only has LeBeau run this 3-4 Zone Blitz for much longer than Saban has been in Alabama, he also has the time and opportunity to install many more packages and wrinkles than Saban does...
    That's my point. They are similar. When I said that I was told you can't compare them. And that is not true. They are very comparable. But don't fool yourself Slap. There are only so many things you can do with the 3-4 or the 4-3. Like I said...we have not seen one new wrinkle to either one for these base defenses for 40 years. If you think because one has more time in the week to install more wrinkles/packages, tell me what those new wrinkles/packages are?


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  7. #97
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok you say these things because of what you have heard others say? But yet you yourself have no knowledge of this yourself? You can't give us specific examples?

    I'll tell you what...anyone who has ever played the game of football at at least the high school level, can tell you that there isnt anything new that LeBeau is doing this season that he hasnt done in the past. All you have to do is watch these games and you can see for yourself if you know what you are looking for or at. There is only so many things you can do with a base 3-4 and same with a base 4-3. We have not seen one new wrinkle on either one of them in the past 40 years.

    My point is, the base 3-4 run by the Steelers is similar to that of every other base 3-4 by anyone else. And this is why a guy like Jarvis Jones was able to come in on year 1 and contribute (as well as even start some games), like no other LB ever has in the history of the Steelers who have played in this 3-4.

    But like I said, no one here or anywhere else can give a list of more than just few things that are different between LeBeau's 3-4 and Saban's 3-4. Of course there are variations and some different thoughts to it, but they are to their very core, similar.
    Those other people are/were Steeler players...

    No one is saying a 3-4 is something other than a 3-4 but the terminology, blitz packages, responsiblilities, drop coverages and assignments vary from what Jones learned at Georgia.

    Jones started 1 or 2 games and went right back to the bench. He isn't at Georgia anymore and he probably has too much on his mind instead of going out and balling hard.

    Ike Taylor said they may have 100 plays to defend a strategy, double calls on certain plays.... I'm paraphrasing because the story is on tribliv.

    Troy to Shamarko "I'm not gonna lie to you. It took nearly a year to learn the play book. Boogie down to learn all the positions because it makes the job easier"

    Shamarko said his first impression of the play book was " its big, I had to adjust to the wording"


    How can you be a Steeler fan and act like you've never heard players talk about the complexity and size of our playbook?

  8. #98
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I would love for one person to have the balls to tell me all the differences there are from LeBeau's 3-4 and Saban's 3-4 (or Georgia's for that matter).

    I guarantee this right here....no one here can do it. Not one. Why?...because there isnt that much of a difference.

    I am calling anyone and everyone out right here and now. Prove it. Let's see who knows what around here. Talk is cheap.

    My guess?????

    Crickets.
    I don't get how anyone here could prove the differences between the Steeler scheme and a college scheme, just as you couldn't prove the similarities. None of us has access to play-calls... and presumably, we all have jobs (and social activities). All we can offer is our opinions.

    In my opinion, Jarvis Jones is struggling as much for the physical jump in competition as the mental (playbook) jump.

  9. #99
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That's my point. They are similar. When I said that I was told you can't compare them. And that is not true. They are very comparable. But don't fool yourself Slap. There are only so many things you can do with the 3-4 or the 4-3. Like I said...we have not seen one new wrinkle to either one for these base defenses for 40 years. If you think because one has more time in the week to install more wrinkles/packages, tell me what those new wrinkles/packages are?
    "I guess, in some ways, it's kind of like music," said the deep-thinking LeBeau, whose wide range of interests includes playing the guitar. "I mean, there is probably a finite number of ways in which you can arrange [musical] notes, right? But here we are, thousands of years into human history, and we haven't reached the end yet. Every year, there are thousands of songs written, and thousands of new combinations of notes. So I guess there's some limit to what we can do on defense.

    "But we haven't reached it yet."


    It is LeBeau's seemingly limitless variations on a theme, the manner in which the veteran coach orchestrates his game plans, that most excites his defenders.


    Seriously... you need to stop Dub. None of us are in the room when DL is drawing up plays or putting in new wrinkles each game but players talk about it all the time. This year we arent doing those thingd because we dont have the personnel and its one of the reasons JJs is back on the bench.

    Last edited by feltdizz; 11-07-2013 at 09:07 PM.

  10. #100
    Funny thing ... I'm sitting here watching Stanford v Oregon .. and it occurs to me that David Shaw, HC at Stanford would be a perfect match for the Steelers. Offensive minded coach (OC for the entirety of Harbaugh's tenure at Stanford) who runs a system that has a nice mix of run and pass.
    What interests me about this is seeing if some of the same people who rip Tomlin will rip this idea, and what their basis for doing so would be ... lol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •