Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tomlin should do himself a favor and resign

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    That 8-8 team also started off 2-6 with Cowher at the helm as well.
    It's funny how Cowher going 2-6 with a QB that had planted his head on a car, had an emergency appendectomy, and then a concussion is being compared to a team with a HEALTHY QB going 2-6. Talk about context. Some people just want to believe something regardless of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's funny how Cowher going 2-6 with a QB that had planted his head on a car, had an emergency appendectomy, and then a concussion is being compared to a team with a HEALTHY QB going 2-6. Talk about context. Some people just want to believe something regardless of facts.
    Thank you for pointing that out. It's amazing that these major points go unnoticed the majority of the time.

Yep, even funnier when you consider that that last Cowher led team had some firepower that this one doesn't. On defense, Troy, Ike, Keisel, Farrior, etc. were still playing at a high caliber. Not to mention a RB (Parker) who ran for almost 1500 yds, Hines Ward and Santonio, etc.
    Point is, it's a team game. So, to use Ben's faceplant/apendectomy/concussion as an excuse for that season is a little misleading. After all, Cowher was the HC, if Ben was such a liability to the team, he SHOULD have sat him and put someone else in. Since he did not take that course of action, we can assume that Cowher either didn't care or he thought Ben was good to go.
    In short, it's just as funny how Tomlin going 2-6 with a defense full of overpaid, aging, once upon a time stars and untested rooks/near rooks is being compared to a team that had a defense full of high quality players at or near their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Yep, even funnier when you consider that that last Cowher led team had some firepower that this one doesn't. On defense, Troy, Ike, Keisel, Farrior, etc. were still playing at a high caliber. Not to mention a RB (Parker) who ran for almost 1500 yds, Hines Ward and Santonio, etc.
    Point is, it's a team game. So, to use Ben's faceplant/apendectomy/concussion as an excuse for that season is a little misleading. After all, Cowher was the HC, if Ben was such a liability to the team, he SHOULD have sat him and put someone else in. Since he did not take that course of action, we can assume that Cowher either didn't care or he thought Ben was good to go.
    In short, it's just as funny how Tomlin going 2-6 with a defense full of overpaid, aging, once upon a time stars and untested rooks/near rooks is being compared to a team that had a defense full of high quality players at or near their prime.
    Isn't the composition of the team on the coach at all?

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Isn't the composition of the team on the coach at all?
    That was somewhat my point. Ben was part of the composition of that Cowher team. It was Cowher's decision to play him (some would say too early) and therefore it is not "fair" to use Ben's injuries, etc. as an excuse for that season. Especially when there were other parts to the TEAM that Cowher put together that year.

Heck, I'm not saying that Tomlin did a great job this year. I'm saying that some people are doing the exact thing they are jumping on others for. Comparing 2006 Cowher team to 2013 Tomlin team. I personally don't see the value in that, but, if you're going to make that comparison, you have to add in Cowher's poor decisions, etc. too. It wasn't like Cowher was a football Einstein who could do no wrong. And make no mistake, I loved the guy as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    That was somewhat my point. Ben was part of the composition of that Cowher team. It was Cowher's decision to play him (some would say too early) and therefore it is not "fair" to use Ben's injuries, etc. as an excuse for that season. Especially when there were other parts to the TEAM that Cowher put together that year.

Heck, I'm not saying that Tomlin did a great job this year. I'm saying that some people are doing the exact thing they are jumping on others for. Comparing 2006 Cowher team to 2013 Tomlin team. I personally don't see the value in that, but, if you're going to make that comparison, you have to add in Cowher's poor decisions, etc. too. It wasn't like Cowher was a football Einstein who could do no wrong. And make no mistake, I loved the guy as a coach.
    I wouldn't compare them because there is no comparison. Ben isn't hurt now and they are still 2-6. But people throw it up all the time. That 06' team finished 8-8 after Ben got healthy. Let's see how this years team finishes. Again I don't see a comparison. Just like some think Cowher could do no wrong there are others that think Tomlin is a great coach but has no responsibility at all.

Except there is a comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Except there is a comparison...
    What is it? Two different coaches, two different teams, different years, one with a hurt QB, one with a healthy QB, one filled with Cowher's players, one becoming filled with Tomlin's players, one a year removed from a SB, one a year removed from an 8-8 season. Now you tell me the similarities other than the record.

Legend
    What is it? Two different coaches, two different teams, different years, one with a hurt QB, one with a healthy QB, one filled with Cowher's players, one becoming filled with Tomlin's players, one a year removed from a SB, one a year removed from an 8-8 season. Now you tell me the similarities other than the record.
    who gives a sh#t...

Pro Bowler

wasnt the battlecry for tomlin going 8-8 last year was because of injuries, most importantly to ben?