Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tomlin should do himself a favor and resign

All of the anti-Tomlin people, can we please stop with the Bill Cowher stuff? People act like none of Cowher's teams ever had bad seasons. Uhh, yes they did.

1998: 7-9 (Coming off of a AFC Championship game loss, 2 years removed from a Superbowl Appearance)
    1999: 6-10
    2000: 9-7

Then back to the playoffs for a couple of years followed up with another 6-10 season in 2003.

I was a HUGE Cowher fan and I'm not bashing him at all, but let's not act like he never had bad years.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wasnt the battlecry for tomlin going 8-8 last year was because of injuries, most importantly to ben?
    Up until last weekend, the battle-cry was mostly against the offense: Haley's general lack of creativity with the play calling and the extreme number of injuries. Injuries happen but this offensive line is plain cursed. The starting lineup on day one barely resembles what was on the field against the cheaters.

The defense was not stellar for the first 5 games but what was on display against the cheaters was difficult to watch.

But you add continued poor clock management, the odd situation with the punter, continued turnovers on offense and overall lack of fixes to any problems and it's a disturbing trend for the bad.

This team looks and plays like it's in a state of disarray. At some point, the head coach is responsible and has to right the ship. Benching Brown ain't gonna fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    All of the anti-Tomlin people, can we please stop with the Bill Cowher stuff? People act like none of Cowher's teams ever had bad seasons. Uhh, yes they did.

1998: 7-9 (Coming off of a AFC Championship game loss, 2 years removed from a Superbowl Appearance)
    1999: 6-10
    2000: 9-7

Then back to the playoffs for a couple of years followed up with another 6-10 season in 2003.

I was a HUGE Cowher fan and I'm not bashing him at all, but let's not act like he never had bad years.
    I was one of the people frustrated with his boneheaded "impose our will" approach through those years. It didnt always work.

But give it to the guy -- give him a 10 point lead at halftime, and the game was pretty much sealed. Every year. Good and bad. That's the kind of character I just don't see now. No lead is safe, no gap is so small that we can reasonable hope to make it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    I was one of the people frustrated with his boneheaded "impose our will" approach through those years. It didnt always work.

But give it to the guy -- give him a 10 point lead at halftime, and the game was pretty much sealed. Every year. Good and bad. That's the kind of character I just don't see now. No lead is safe, no gap is so small that we can reasonable hope to make it.
    Thats because we had Jerome Bettis and the rules for passing were different so teams had a harder time mounting comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Thats because we had Jerome Bettis and the rules for passing were different so teams had a harder time mounting comebacks.
    This ^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, I loved Cowher as the Steelers coach. I just don't buy into the same fan mentality that many have that a coach has to be a raving lunatic on the sidelines to be effective. That was Cowher's personality. It absolutely worked for him and as I said, he was a great coach for the Steelers. But a coach has to be himself or the players will sense he's fake right away. By all accounts, Tomlin's number one quality according to every player interview I've seen regarding his style, is that he's 100% real. He's very straightforward to the players and they respect that approach. If he suddenly started freaking out spitting on guys, they'd see right through it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Nail on head! Bettis was a once in a decade talent who made Cowher look very good because he could do things no other back in the league could.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    This ^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, I loved Cowher as the Steelers coach. I just don't buy into the same fan mentality that many have that a coach has to be a raving lunatic on the sidelines to be effective. That was Cowher's personality. It absolutely worked for him and as I said, he was a great coach for the Steelers. But a coach has to be himself or the players will sense he's fake right away. By all accounts, Tomlin's number one quality according to every player interview I've seen regarding his style, is that he's 100% real. He's very straightforward to the players and they respect that approach. If he suddenly started freaking out spitting on guys, they'd see right through it.
    100% on board with everything you said. Not sure Cowher's style would work anymore and not sure it was working when he left. IMO the players became immune to his act.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Nail on head! Bettis was a once in a decade talent who made Cowher look very good because he could do things no other back in the league could.
    when you can get 5 yards every play when the other team knows what's coming it's real easy to close out games.