Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The end of an Era

Pro Bowler
    I actually think Woodley is trying this year. He's just not that good a player.

Clark is maddening, because as I said a few weeks ago... his head is already on retirement!

A question about pay cuts, which will most assuredly happen (to Troy, Ike). If we tell them they need a cut in pay and they agree, is that a case of kicking the can down the road (something that has become a major problem with this team)? And if we tell them to take a cut and they refuse (and they leave), how would that affect our cap situation?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I actually think Woodley is trying this year. He's just not that good a player.

Clark is maddening, because as I said a few weeks ago... his head is already on retirement!

A question about pay cuts, which will most assuredly happen (to Troy, Ike). If we tell them they need a cut in pay and they agree, is that a case of kicking the can down the road (something that has become a major problem with this team)? And if we tell them to take a cut and they refuse (and they leave), how would that affect our cap situation?

My understanding is if we cut Troy or Ike, any unpaid portions of their bonuses will hit our cap.

The reality is we can't just do precise surgery to fix the cap. We need traumatic amputation and that will take a couple of years to heal.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Ike Taylor's Salary:
    Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead
    2011 1,250,000 1,812,500 750,000 3,812,500 -
    2012 825,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 4,279,166 -
    2013 6,000,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 9,454,166 6,908,334
    2014 7,000,000 1,812,500 1,641,666 10,454,166 -
    2015 UFA

Basically, we would have only saved ~2.5 million if we cut him this year because of the dead money. Next year, we'll save 10.4 MILLION if he's cut.

SUBSTANTIAL PAYCUT to playout your final games in a Steelers uniform or be cut. It's that simple.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My understanding is if we cut Troy or Ike, any unpaid portions of their bonuses will hit our cap.

The reality is we can't just do precise surgery to fix the cap. We need traumatic amputation and that will take a couple of years to heal.
    But if we tell them to take paycuts and they comply, does that help our cap? Or as I said, is it just a case of kicking the can down the road?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'd trade Woodley in a minute. Get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.
    I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday. It seems as though Worilds plays pretty well when he subs in for Woodley. If you could get that high of a pick for him and dump that salary? Hell yes.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday. It seems as though Worilds plays pretty well when he subs in for Woodley. If you could get that high of a pick for him and dump that salary? Hell yes.
    I'd be shocked if someone offered us a third rounder for Wood, with that salary, I was thinking maybe a 5th.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Next year, we'll save 10.4 MILLION if he's cut.
    No, next year we only save the salary portion of his cap number. $7M in savings, $3.4M dead money hit. The thing here is that they just restructured him, which increases the dead money hit for next year, yet have done nothing with those savings yet. I also don't know if that is reflected in these numbers, so the dead money hit may be higher by about $1.5M. That leads me to believe that he will not be cut. The only glimmer of hope may be if they also quietly agreed on a pay cut for next season when they did the restructure.

Troy will be entering the last season of his current contract. His cap number is $10.887M, of which $8.25M is salary. If cut then we take a dead money hit of approx. $2.63M, and save his salary of $8.25M. If he agrees to a pay cut, then the savings is reflected by the exact amount of the lower salary.

But if we tell them to take paycuts and they comply, does that help our cap? Or as I said, is it just a case of kicking the can down the road?
    There are two very different concepts that occur later on with contracts. Often we have a "restructure". Everybody applauds the player for agreeing, but it is in his benefit to do so. A player agrees to accept some of this year's salary today in the form of a one time payment. That payment converts into signing bonus and that is spread out over the remaining life of the contract. In terms of the cap, the player takes a reduced salary for this season, and converts that same amount into bonus money. There is no less money being paid to the player in total, so it is a salary reduction in name only. Not only does the player get paid up front today, but it also makes it more expensive for the team to cut him down the road. This is the "kicking the can down the road" scenario.

On the other hand, a pay cut is just that, and it is only a savings against the cap. Very simply, a player who is scheduled to earn $X in salary this season agrees to accept $Y less than that. The cap savings is exactly the $Y reduction that is agreed to. Nothing is pushed into the future.