Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacements

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Haley, Bicknell, & Smith fired. I want DL to retire & Butler to take the reigns.
    Yes to this!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I agree it's time for Dick to retire,but I've been thinking,is Butler the answer? I'm sure he has some ideas of his own,but he's worked under LeBeau for awhile,can he bring enough new and fresh approaches? Not saying he can't,just throwing it out there that the Steelers may be better served going outside the organization.
    I'm on the fence... hopefully Butler has a big ass list at home of what he won't keep if he is DC.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I just don't think you could do much better than Tomlin. I think he is proving to be what he is: a capable coach, but certainly not the game-changing coach people would like to believe. I would look seriously at our personnel department, but it is difficult for me to say who's head should roll there.

I will also preface by saying that I appreciate the Steelers and their not having a coaching carousel everytime things go bad, so even more why I'd just let Tomlin stay next year. I would even keep Haley, if I see growth there from now til the end of the season. But Lebeau must go, as a DC. If we wanted to remain as some sort of consultant, I would of course, honor that. But as a DC, his time has passed. That much is obvious.
    There are maybe three "game changing" head coaches in the entire NFL so you are wasting your time looking for one. For a HC you need a steady hand who can handle the inevitable outside pressures and distractions. It is the coordinators who have the biggest role in game prep and execution. Both ours can go.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Since we need to replace everyone, who do you want?
    You just answered your own question; we need to replace everybody.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I agree it's time for Dick to retire,but I've been thinking,is Butler the answer? I'm sure he has some ideas of his own,but he's worked under LeBeau for awhile,can he bring enough new and fresh approaches? Not saying he can't,just throwing it out there that the Steelers may be better served going outside the organization.
    Interesting point. I think Butler as the future DC is pretty much set in stone. In fact, I believe the decision has already been made by our FO.

I don't think Colbert will get fired nor do I think he should get fired. We talk a lot about his OL misses but what about Legursky and Urbik starting for the Bills? Colon for the Jets. Now, I think Legursky would be a decent starting center but not a guard and I think he's proven that. Colon isn't very good but he's still a starting guard in this league. Urbik was a huge coaching blunder. That isn't on Colbert either. Point is, he hasn't exactly *missed* in regards to the o-line as bad as what a lot of people say.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    If bubble screens and draw plays are creative....
    Or this on every third or fourth and short...

Either shotgun with nobody in the backfield
    3-2-NE 36 (12:12) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at NE 42 for -6 yards (50-R.Ninkovich). FUMBLES (50-R.Ninkovich), RECOVERED by NE-72-J.Vellano at NE 42. 72-J.Vellano to NE 42 for no gain (68-K.Beachum).
    Or this
    3-3-PIT 45 (1:56) 26-L.Bell up the middle to PIT 49 for 4 yards (54-D.Hightower).
    4-1-NE 42 (15:00) PIT 76-Adams eligible. 26-L.Bell up the middle to NE 41 for 1 yard (94-Chr. Jones).
    3-1-NE 32 (13:25) (No Huddle) 26-L.Bell up the middle to NE 32 for no gain (72-J.Vellano; 28-S.Gregory).
    4-1-NE 32 (12:42) PIT 76-Adams eligible. 26-L.Bell left guard to NE 33 for -1 yards (94-Chr. Jones; 91-J.Collins).
    The best part is that the 4th down play followed a timeout. So, given the chance to come up with their best play, the OC came up with almost the exact same formation and play as the one that failed the previous play.

Legend

User Info Menu

As bad as I think that the D coaching is, I see the bigger problem being that the defenders seem to have checked out. How many missed tackles did we see yesterday, and throughout the season? The defenders used to flock to the ball like there was no shame in being the ninth guy there, as long as you got there. Now, you either see the first guy getting the tackle, or the offensive player escaping and going for big yards. I don't know how many missed tackles there were yesterday, but I saw that there were over 100 yards given up after contact, and how often did you see the runner getting 2 or 3 yards after contact during a tackle, instead of being stopped dead in his tracks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    As bad as I think that the D coaching is, I see the bigger problem being that the defenders seem to have checked out. How many missed tackles did we see yesterday, and throughout the season? The defenders used to flock to the ball like there was no shame in being the ninth guy there, as long as you got there. Now, you either see the first guy getting the tackle, or the offensive player escaping and going for big yards. I don't know how many missed tackles there were yesterday, but I saw that there were over 100 yards given up after contact, and how often did you see the runner getting 2 or 3 yards after contact during a tackle, instead of being stopped dead in his tracks?
    There was a series I think it was the 3rd quarter where the Pats kept running and we kept missing tackles. It was 3 misses one play. Then 2 plays later 3 more. And then 4. I don't get why we don't seem to make tackles anymore? Maybe we were better when we could hit guys in the head?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There are maybe three "game changing" head coaches in the entire NFL so you are wasting your time looking for one. For a HC you need a steady hand who can handle the inevitable outside pressures and distractions. It is the coordinators who have the biggest role in game prep and execution. Both ours can go.
    I agree.
    That is why I said we should keep him. I don't like him, but that doesn't mean changing him will solve our problems. (I DO think changing Lebeau will.)

Take a look at what Belichick is doing with that team. No #1 WR, no Hernandez, no Wilfork, no Gronk til now... and they're where they always are. Look at Rex Ryan, with his motley crew and donut hole at QB. They're competing!

We are not 3 TDs worse than the cheats*, talent-wise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    OC/DC to start. But I can live with Haley at least he's creative. Senile has been running the same things for years.
    I chuckle once again. Just because DL is "old" his schemes don't work anymore..blah blah blah..... How is it that the DC is blamed, when all we see is a bunch of underperforming overpaid aged players not doing their job?

Sigh.... again, it's not the scheme, it's the players. Disagree?? Well there are a few fans of another team that would differ with your comments. Don't look now, but Ray Horton has installed DL's defense in Browns country and they are currently sitting at No. 4 total defense in the league. It works, just gotta find the right players.

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html"]www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html[/URL]