Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 9 5 31

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    hopefully NFLN airs a repeat of jets/saints game for those that are too busy on sundays to catch the other games in the league.
    Steeler fans don't give a damn about what goes on in the rest of the league, which is exactly why they **** on Roethlisberger all the time: they have no legitimate basis for comparison. They won't watch Drew Brees getting his ass handed to him by the Jets; they'll just pretend it never happens, just like every goddamn one of his 79 INTs/fumbles since 2010.

For that matter, they won't notice Matt Ryan's seven INTs in the last two games now that his starting WRs and a couple of starting offensive linemen are hurt. And he's only thrown two TD passes in the last two games to boot. He's taking a walk in Roethlisberger's shoes and playing no better.

As the early games were winding to a close today, my father and I were looking at the tickers on each channel, and we commented on how many QBs threw multiple INTs today.

By the way, here's a more in-depth analysis of Roethlisberger's nine INTs so far this season...

Inaccurate throw: 5

- Titans
    - Bengals
    - Bears #1
    - Bears #2
    - Patriots #1

Bad decision: 1

- Raiders #1

WR's fault: 3

- Vikings
    - Raiders #2
    - Patriots #2

"There are problems in Pittsburgh. The QB is not one of them." -Phil Simms, late in the fourth quarter of the Steelers' historic 55-31 loss to the Patriots
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If the argument is Ben (the offense) vs. the defense, how would this Ben look coupled with the 2008 Steeler defense? He'd only have to score 20 points, and he'd be given more opportunities (with more punts, more takeaways) to do so. It would certainly help to minimze his problems.
    And this is exactly why I think taking a LT in the first round of the draft might be maddening. It doesn't matter how much we help Ben on offense if we don't find defenders that can take the ball away and keep the other team from scoring.

The formula is still the same. Ben + Defense = Championships.

We need all the star defenders we can find. Bottom line, we need the 2008 defense. That's the only way Ben will ever have a chance to win.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And this is exactly why I think taking a LT in the first round of the draft might be maddening. It doesn't matter how much we help Ben on offense if we don't find defenders that can take the ball away and keep the other team from scoring.

The formula is still the same. Ben + Defense = Championships.

We need all the star defenders we can find. Bottom line, we need the 2008 defense. That's the only way Ben will ever have a chance to win.
    On the other hand, Ben won't need "the 2008 defense" if the team gives him the weapons he deserves (and that every other noteworthy QB already has).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    On the other hand, Ben won't need "the 2008 defense" if the team gives him the weapons he deserves (and that every other noteworthy QB already has).
    Not sure I buy it. Ben's never gonna light up the score board. It's not conducive to his style of play. Ben could have Megatron, AJ, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham, AP, and an All Pro line and we'd somehow put up 20 points a game. We'd sputter through games like we always do. The D would have to keep us in the game. We'd still kick a lot of FGs in the RZ. And every game would come down to making the most of a chance at the end of the game.

Backup

User Info Menu

Not sure I buy it. Ben's never gonna light up the score board. It's not conducive to his style of play. Ben could have Megatron, AJ, Gronk, and Jimmy Graham, AP, and an All Pro line and we'd somehow put up 20 points a game. We'd sputter through games like we always do. The D would have to keep us in the game. We'd still kick a lot of FGs in the RZ. And every game would come down to making the most of a chance at the end of the game.
    He just got done putting 31 points on the board, which is more than any other team has scored against the Patriots this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    He just got done putting 31 points on the board, which is more than any other team has scored against the Patriots this season.
    It's all relative. The Pats put up 55. 31 isn't that impressive in context.

Backup

User Info Menu

It's all relative. The Pats put up 55. 31 isn't that impressive in context.
    It wasn't enough points to win, obviously, but if 31 points isn't enough, then it's kind of stupid to blame the offense, quite frankly.

Legend

User Info Menu

I know he had three turnovers yesterday but Ben also had 400 yards passing and 4 TD's. Those are huge numbers. The defense looked like a confused, scared, unprepared group of high schoolers out there for the vast majority of the game. The 6'6"/ 265 pound guy in the blue shirt went uncovered for most of the game as if they didn't know he would be a target. He was - for 9 catches and 143 yards.

I'll keep Ben but give me 4 or 5 guys on D who can make some plays and a new Defensive Coordinator who is willing to try new ideas.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I know he had three turnovers yesterday but Ben also had 400 yards passing and 4 TD's. Those are huge numbers. The defense looked like a confused, scared, unprepared group of high schoolers out there for the vast majority of the game. The 6'6"/ 265 pound guy in the blue shirt went uncovered for most of the game as if they didn't know he would be a target. He was - for 9 catches and 143 yards.

I'll keep Ben but give me 4 or 5 guys on D who can make some plays and a new Defensive Coordinator who is willing to try new ideas.
    Playing from behind will always put a QB in position to put up big numbers and turnovers. It's the nature of the way a game like this plays out.

Legend

User Info Menu

In principal I'd agree with you flippy. And Ben put the Steelers in a giant hole early with a couple of awful turnovers and badly thrown balls. With that said, there are a ton of QBs in the NFL right now, that no matter how far down their team was, would not have the ability to throw for 400 yards. Ben was humming when he got this team all tied up. Then the D played about as well as my toddler's diaper looks after a big meal.