Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell vs Dwyer

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell vs Dwyer

I know we're counting on Bell as our future savior at RB. But I do think it's fair to ask, should Dwyer be getting more carries and could it help us as an offense.

They have virtually identical YPC with Bell at 3.25 and Dwyer at 3.23.

Now the real difference in these 2 is the passing game. Bell's a threat to catch a pass and Dwyer isn't. But Dwyer is a significantly better blocker. And therein lies my question - which is more important?

Bell's only got 13 catches for 82 yards and 3 1st downs. Nothing too significant yet. Hopefully that can become a more valuable asset to the offense in time. But more than Bell's couple short catches, I think we need to enable Ben to make plays downfield to our WRs/TE. And we all know Ben likes to hold the ball to create time for plays down the field. Just seems to me, it would be better to have Dwyer back there with Ben helping buy him time with his blocks.

Until Bell becomes a better blocker, we're hamstringing our QB. Who's ultimately more important here - Bell or Ben. Until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'd say Ben for now. I expect Bell to develop in time, but he's just not there yet.

And isn't the most important cog in the offense, Ben? And keeping him upright to make plays? Right now, Dwyer's the best option from that perspective imho.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It may not be apparent on the field yet, but the big difference is that Bell has the ability to carry the load. So I think the current set-up is fine, where Dwyer gets spot carries. Dwyer just doesn't have the mental make-up, of a guy getting most of the carries.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree and said so earlier in the year. Dwyer should get more PT as he would be key in protection.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How many pass pro blocks has Bell missed? Just curious. I don't recall any glaring ones. They said he didn't have many if any, mental errors in TC so you would think executing his assignments in that department would be good. But its probably hard for all the RBs when the off. line is as porous as it is.

I think leaving Bell in there on passing downs is not an issue but I have been encouraged by what I'm seeing from Dwyer since his return. Bottom line, I think they don't lose much either way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    How many pass pro blocks has Bell missed? Just curious. I don't recall any glaring ones. They said he didn't have many if any, mental errors in TC so you would think executing his assignments in that department would be good. But its probably hard for all the RBs when the off. line is as porous as it is.

I think leaving Bell in there on passing downs is not an issue but I have been encouraged by what I'm seeing from Dwyer since his return. Bottom line, I think they don't lose much either way.
    I've seen Bell whiff on a couple blocks. And it's not to be unexpected. It's the biggest problem most young RBs have early on. It takes some work. Dwyer's sound at picking up blitzers.

As porous as our line has been, I think Ben needs someone back there to help him out to help get the ball downfield.

I'd even suggest watching when both backs are in the game and I bet we take more chances down field with Dwyer in the game going forward.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I've seen Bell whiff on a couple blocks. And it's not to be unexpected. It's the biggest problem most young RBs have early on. It takes some work. Dwyer's sound at picking up blitzers.

As porous as our line has been, I think Ben needs someone back there to help him out to help get the ball downfield.

I'd even suggest watching when both backs are in the game and I bet we take more chances down field with Dwyer in the game going forward.
    I will definitely try to key on this during today's game. Let's hope they both are stellar!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I will definitely try to key on this during today's game. Let's hope they both are stellar!
    I think we could use a big game out of Bell today given NE's inability to stop the run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell had over 130 yards of O. He is the guy who can be on the field downs 1-4. Why would we want to limit his growth?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Bell had over 130 yards of O. He is the guy who can be on the field downs 1-4. Why would we want to limit his growth?
    And Ben had protection issues throughout the day. The interception out of the endzone was a direct result of Ben chucking the ball quickly so he didn't get hit. And what looked like fear was a result of Bell being the only guy between Ben and the Pat's defender.

Im not talking about Bell's 130 yards of running/receiving. I'm bringing this up in regards to helping keep Ben upright to make plays. If you go back and watch that 1 play, I don't think Ben's comfortable with Bell in the backfield helping protect him. And there's other plays where Bell just isn't cutting it in protection.

Legend

User Info Menu

So now we are going to put lack luster running backs onto the field, limit rookie growth, as yet another band-aid for a porous OL? Nah, I say leave Bell on the field and let him learn on the run. He isn't a bad blocker, and I think he can get better. Only way he gets better is to be out there and learn. It isn't like this team is making the playoffs.
    Trolls are people too.