Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell vs Dwyer

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Bell will be fine, IMO. Of course he still has things to work on. He is a rook after all. The blocking will get better. He will improve on the little things that will bring his average up a bit and we will have a consistent RB. We can then bring in Jones or Dwyer for the odd burst.
    There's still a couple blocks he misses each game to put Ben in a bad position. I get that he's the future at the position for us and I expect he'll get better. But for now, it seems like Dwyer would give this team a better chance to keep Ben upright and making a few more plays that might keep a few more drives alive and prevent a few turnovers. RB blocking might be the little bit this team needs to get over the hump to help Ben win some more games.

Just saying. If Tomlin's gonna bench JJ for Worilds, why not put Dwyer ahead of Bell too? Worilds really hasn't done much of anything to deserve the promotion. Dwyer has imho.

Legend

User Info Menu

The substitute running back always looks good, coming into a game fresh against a worn down defense. Remember the success that Redman had a few years ago?

Like Redman, Dwyer is not a feature back. He's a decent guy to have in the backfield, but from what I've seen, Bell is the more talented and is more capable of being the primary guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dwyer is a good situational back, in the same mold as Amos Z, Fu, Richard Huntley, and Isaac Redman. Limit their load and use them as a change of pace back. What I'd like to see is Dwyer in as a fullback on some plays. He gives a threat of a quick hitter as well as having decent blocking ability. But he'd be much better suited as a decoy/quick hitter.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There's still a couple blocks he misses each game to put Ben in a bad position. I get that he's the future at the position for us and I expect he'll get better. But for now, it seems like Dwyer would give this team a better chance to keep Ben upright and making a few more plays that might keep a few more drives alive and prevent a few turnovers. RB blocking might be the little bit this team needs to get over the hump to help Ben win some more games.

Just saying. If Tomlin's gonna bench JJ for Worilds, why not put Dwyer ahead of Bell too? Worilds really hasn't done much of anything to deserve the promotion. Dwyer has imho.
    Bell produces...Worilds was not producing...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Worilds as what 12 sacks in 14 starts? or something like that. I think he runs himself out of too many plays though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The substitute running back always looks good, coming into a game fresh against a worn down defense. Remember the success that Redman had a few years ago?

Like Redman, Dwyer is not a feature back. He's a decent guy to have in the backfield, but from what I've seen, Bell is the more talented and is more capable of being the primary guy.
    I just don't see the complete game yet in Bell. Bell gets 3.3 YPC. Dwyer's a 4.3 YPC back over his short career. Bell's bigger, but Dwyer's still the more physical runner. And Dwyer does a better job picking up free blitzers in the backfield. The only knock on Dwyer was he was fat and out of shape up until this year. And nothing else will get a guy in Tomlin and Steeler Nation's dog house faster and more permanently than being out of shape.

Backup

User Info Menu

If Jarvis Jones and Vince Williams can learn on the fly, then so can Le'Veon Bell. I'd use Jonathan Dwyer as a goal-line and short-yardage RB.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

The point about Dwyer is not just his running burst when he subs in, but also his pass blocking, which has been very solid, I'd say the best of any of the RBs. With a line this bad, I think that would be wise to give some more snaps to Dwyer, and hopefully allow him to pick up that extra rusher who always seems to be coming free off the snap.

Ideally, I'd like to see a breakdown somewhere around 60% Bell, 30% Dwyer, 10% Jones. This past week, Bell was 68%, Jones 16%, Dwyer 15%. I'm too lazy to look up the rest of the season, but this sounds about right since Bell returned.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I just don't see the complete game yet in Bell. Bell gets 3.3 YPC. Dwyer's a 4.3 YPC back over his short career. Bell's bigger, but Dwyer's still the more physical runner. And Dwyer does a better job picking up free blitzers in the backfield. The only knock on Dwyer was he was fat and out of shape up until this year. And nothing else will get a guy in Tomlin and Steeler Nation's dog house faster and more permanently than being out of shape.
    Right on the mark!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

I would continue to play both .... as well as Felix Jones. There is room for all 3 on this roster IMO.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.