Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Bell vs Dwyer

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The point about Dwyer is not just his running burst when he subs in, but also his pass blocking, which has been very solid, I'd say the best of any of the RBs. With a line this bad, I think that would be wise to give some more snaps to Dwyer, and hopefully allow him to pick up that extra rusher who always seems to be coming free off the snap.

    Ideally, I'd like to see a breakdown somewhere around 60% Bell, 30% Dwyer, 10% Jones. This past week, Bell was 68%, Jones 16%, Dwyer 15%. I'm too lazy to look up the rest of the season, but this sounds about right since Bell returned.
    Dwyer's pass blocking is a valid point. The flip side is that he doesn't really even give you a threat as a receiving option.

    I think he has a place on the team, and I'd have no issue with the mix that you suggested, but I also have no issue with the current rotation, either.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I just don't see the complete game yet in Bell. Bell gets 3.3 YPC. Dwyer's a 4.3 YPC back over his short career. Bell's bigger, but Dwyer's still the more physical runner. And Dwyer does a better job picking up free blitzers in the backfield. The only knock on Dwyer was he was fat and out of shape up until this year. And nothing else will get a guy in Tomlin and Steeler Nation's dog house faster and more permanently than being out of shape.
    Really? Bell has nice patience, quick enough feet, and seems to do a bit of everything. I don't think he'll ever be an Adrian Peterson or a McCoy type of weapon, but I think he'll provide a more than credible running threat who can also catch some passes out of the backfield.

  3. #33
    I think judging a rookie running back running behind an injured patched up line on a struggling Steeler team...by 6 games of his ypc is short sighted at best.

    Put the ypc aside for a second. What do your eyes tell you? My eyes tell me that when there are a chance for yards he gets them. When you throw the ball to him, he catches them. He isn't a burner but he is fast enough. Trust me, he can hit the corners...but they won't run off tackle without quality tackles blowing holes. The "quality" of the OL is inside.

    My eyes tell me that we have a guy running his heart out, doing everything he can to produce...and being productive. My eyes on Dwyer tell me that he runs really well, when you keep his carries under 5 per game. He runs really well when he feels disrespected. But, he isn't an every down kind of guy...not because he doesn't have the talent to be...but because of something going on between his ears.

    When all is said and done...I believe Bell to be a guy who will be running for 1200 yards+ per season adding another 500-600 yards catching. He is a quality back who (if he stays healthy) should provide a much needed running game for the Steelers in the future.

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    I think he deserves more of a work load but most of that should come from Jones's touches. I don't think he gets the nod over Bell because Bell hasn't done anything to lose it but Dwyer has done enough to get more touches. Dwyer starts to pile up some impressive numbers in that role...Then I think he should start taking touches from Bell. That process has a way of getting the best out of both of them. If what Dwyer is doing at that point looks to be more productive then go with the hot hand. That's football in the NFL. Bell will have to take it back.



  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think he deserves more of a work load but most of that should come from Jones's touches. I don't think he gets the nod over Bell because Bell hasn't done anything to lose it but Dwyer has done enough to get more touches. Dwyer starts to pile up some impressive numbers in that role...Then I think he should start taking touches from Bell. That process has a way of getting the best out of both of them. If what Dwyer is doing at that point looks to be more productive then go with the hot hand. That's football in the NFL. Bell will have to take it back.
    I like that. I don't think you need it as much for Bell as you do for Dwyer. Bell is the kind of guy that likes football, and always gives 100%. But, Dwyer thrives when needing to earn and scratch for carries.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I like that. I don't think you need it as much for Bell as you do for Dwyer. Bell is the kind of guy that likes football, and always gives 100%. But, Dwyer thrives when needing to earn and scratch for carries.
    I agree. I wasn't a Bell fan when he was drafted as many know but I don't have anything bad to say about him to this point. I think Dwyer earned more touches but I don't think it comes at Bell's expense. Could be a really "healthy" situation for both. They will make each other better & the arrow looks to be going up on both.



  7. #37
    Yeah, I think we have our 1-2 punch for future years. I would like to see the Steelers add a guy like Venric Mark...a tough scat back with serious game changing speed. It would be nice to have that in the arsenal.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I think we have our 1-2 punch for future years. I would like to see the Steelers add a guy like Venric Mark...a tough scat back with serious game changing speed. It would be nice to have that in the arsenal.
    Interested to see if he gets a medical redshirt or if he will be in the draft.



  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Interested to see if he gets a medical redshirt or if he will be in the draft.
    Just read about that. I don't see a reason they would keep a medical hardship waiver from him. I think he would qualify. Welp, guess that means I need to change my mock once again.

  10. #40
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think Dwyer earned more touches but I don't think it comes at Bell's expense.
    I think this is where our thinking differs slightly. To me it's not so much about Bell's development, but more so about protecting Ben. Ben is the offense, not Bell or Dwyer. And I think you go with the lineup that maximizes Ben's talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •