Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David DeCastro Ruled Out Vs. Patriots

Legend

User Info Menu

David DeCastro Ruled Out Vs. Patriots

The Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line hasn’t been very good when they are healthy, however the injuries keep piling up which is really testing a line that is not only struggling to perform, but is paper thin when it comes to quality depth.

The latest victim is 2012 first-round pick David DeCastro has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots with an ankle injury, which is a big blow to the team.

DeCastro didn’t practice today, the third straight day of preparation he’s missed and the coaching staff has officially excluded him from participating on Sunday.

The last few weeks, before injuring the ankle in last week’s loss to the Oakland Raiders, DeCastro was starting to look like the dominant interior lineman that many have projected him to be. Even though he has only made a handful of NFL starts, DeCastro already is the NFL’s fourth highest-ranked guard in Pro Football Focus’ player grading.

DeCastro’s injury means there will be more shuffling of the offensive line, which isn’t good news for the Steelers rushing attack or quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who could take another beating on Sunday.

The good news is that starting left guard Ramon Foster (concussion) is optimistic about being available to start at New England and reserve offensive lineman Guy Whimper (knee) was a full practice participant and anticipates starting in DeCastro’s spot.

If Whimper and Foster can go, Kelvin Beachum will likely stay at left tackle on Sunday.

However the last thing that the Steelers struggling line can afford right now is for DeCastro to be out of the lineup.

Hopefully for their sake it will be only one week.

[url]http://cityofchampionssports.com/2013/11/01/pittsburgh-steelers-david-decastro-ruled-vs-patriots/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Guy Whimper more than ready to fill in for DeCastro

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Guy Whimper has admitted that he is ready to fill the void of teammate David DeCastro on Sunday.

DeCastro has been ruled out of his side's clash with the New England Patriots leaving his spot at right guard open for Whimper to fill to protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"They haven't told me that yet," Whimper told the club's official website. "I'm taking the approach like I am. I'm a whole lot more confident playing guard this week.

"If they need me there I'll be ready. I'm willing and more than capable of coming in and helping this line out."

The Steelers are 2-5 in their season going into week nine.

[url]http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/american-football/pittsburgh-steelers/news/whimper-ready-to-fill-decastro-void_115088.html[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Co-dy Wall-ace, clap clap, clap clap clap

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just watched GUY WHIMPER on AFC PLAYBOOK get leveled by a Nose Tackle ENGAGED with our CENTER on a Double Team. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!! Sighhhhhhhh!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Just watched GUY WHIMPER on AFC PLAYBOOK get leveled by a Nose Tackle ENGAGED with our CENTER on a Double Team. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!! Sighhhhhhhh!!!
    Saw that too. Brutal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    This is what is driving some of us nuts!!! The Steelers are basically saying there is not a single guy on another teams practice squad anywhere in the league that is better than that!!?!!? How is that possible??!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Meh. Whatever at this point. No difference between Ben getting sacked 5 times in a game or 8? It'll likely be the same result with or without Decastro.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is what is driving some of us nuts!!! The Steelers are basically saying there is not a single guy on another teams practice squad anywhere in the league that is better than that!!?!!? How is that possible??!!
    Exactly . . . other teams plug in these young guys and at least get something out of them. Whimper has only proven 1 thing. he sucks. i'd rather give a guy who hasn't proven he sucks yet get a chance.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Meh. Whatever at this point. No difference between Ben getting sacked 5 times in a game or 8? It'll likely be the same result with or without Decastro.
    Losing Decastro is a BIG loss. I think he has dominating ability, particularly as a pulling Guard. I've been hoping that the combination of him and Miller rounding into shape, would help out our outside run game a lot. But our o-line keeps getting hurt!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Losing Decastro is a BIG loss. I think he has dominating ability, particularly as a pulling Guard. I've been hoping that the combination of him and Miller rounding into shape, would help out our outside run game a lot. But our o-line keeps getting hurt!
    I agree. Did I read we are only dressing seven OL today? That just seems risky. I know they've done it before but yikes. Are they expecting the TE's to pick up the slack if something happens? Halloween is over but that's scary.