Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Owner says getting a Franchise QB a priority!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Eagles Owner says getting a Franchise QB a priority!!!!

Really? Maybe even to the point of desperation? Stay with me for a minute on this...

“We need someone to step up, whether it’s an existing young quarterback or somebody we go out and acquire,” Lurie told CSNPhilly.com. “We know -- this is no secret -- quarterback is the [ultimate] position and the most important difference-maker.”

“The better quarterbacks are real consistent. Rookie quarterbacks are not. Troy Aikman, John Elway, Peyton [Manning]. The only guy I know is Dan Marino, who was great from the get-go. I don’t know anybody who wasn’t like really erratic (as a rookie). So I think you’ve got to just look at it really in an analytic sense. Anyone who thinks that a rookie quarterback, whether it’s Nick or Matt, is going to flow through and be Player of the Week every week is silly.”

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eagles-owner-jeffrey-lurie-says-finding-franchise-quarterback-160711531--nfl.html[/URL]

And following suit this off season?....my guess is....

Dallas
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    St. Louis
    Arizona
    Detroit
    Tampa Bay
    Houston
    Tennessee
    etc.
    etc.

Let the bidding begin!!
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

This is EXACTLY why you don't get rid of a franchise QB...

oh, and they have Matt Barkley, they are fine. lol...

Legend

User Info Menu

And who's our QB? This guy basically says rookie QBs are worthless and you want to get rid of our proven QB and replace him with?

Im not even sure if I trust Tomlin/Colbert with more draft picks. Get rid of Ben to load up on more Ziggy Hoods and Jason Worilds? I'm not thinking that's a very fair trade looking at the bigger picture.

If we do what you want us to do, about the only way I could even begin to think it might make sense is if we got rid of Tomlin/Colbert too and brought in someone new to rebuild from scratch. And finding the right person to come in and do that right away is a crap shoot.

I'm just not following your logic given our current makeup.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

3rd highest payroll over the cap for 2014. Ben is $18,000,000 of that. He'll be 32 next year. This team is void of play makers. This team has a boat load of holes on both sides of the ball. After the cuts come in this off season, next years holes will be even more.

Seems pretty logical to me.

When the Steelers have to let go of many of your favorite players this off season, dont cry about it.

Get use to sub-par/mediocrity/basement dwellers. It's here and will be here for quite some time unless something is done to change it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And who's our QB? This guy basically says rookie QBs are worthless and you want to get rid of our proven QB and replace him with?
    Flip, I didnt say Lurie was a genius. But this is the genius thinking behind getting the Herschel Walker trade value in return. Prey on a idiot like this. One who is willing to overspend and is desperate to win.

And I guess you didnt read all the way through this article?.....

Washington (Robert Griffin III), Indianapolis (Andrew Luck), Seattle (Russell Wilson) and Cincinnati (Andy Dalton) may disagree with Lurie’s assessment of rookie quarterbacks.
    Of course, those teams have franchise quarterbacks. Lurie is still searching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    And...again. Perfect fit for this idea of taking advantage of a team who just doesn't get it. A team who drafts a pocket passer/west coat QB when the run a read-option offense and have paid a boat load of money to a head coach who runs it.

You guys are actually getting this, you just hasnt hit you yet. A few more Steeler losses, and you'll come around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is EXACTLY why you don't get rid of a franchise QB...

Exactly! You keep Ben as long as we can. Doing otherwise hoping to find another is ridiculous.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly! You keep Ben as long as we can. Doing otherwise hoping to find another is ridiculous.
    So, if St. Louis offered their two first rounds picks (2014), their 2nd round pick (2014--probably anywhere from 35-40), and their 3rd round pick (2014-probably anywhere from 65-70), you wouldn't take it for Ben?

"As long as we can"....​is probably this next off season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Flip, I didnt say Lurie was a genius. But this is the genius thinking behind getting the Herschel Walker trade value in return. Prey on a idiot like this. One who is willing to overspend and is desperate to win.
    I'm all for buy low/sell high in life in general. But the problem is the draft is a crapshoot. There's no guarantee we're going to get enough value out of the draft, especially given our recent lack of success.

Your idea has merit. But I think you are a little early. I still think we've got the best chance for the next few years by keeping Ben and Troy. The parts around them will surely change, but that gives us the best chance of winning over the next several years. Obviously the roster will have to evolve. We probably need to find a few more Velasco type signings in FA. We need to hit on some draft picks.

I'd say it might make more sense to revisit this discussion in 3 years down the line. And we should try to at least have Ben's successor on the roster and have confidence in him before we pull this trigger. Who knows, maybe we'll have a high draft pick and the guy we want will be there at QB and he'll pan out for us?

Hell, for all we know, Landry is that guy? I dunno? At the end of the day, I think keeping Ben is our best option to winning SuperBowls over the next few seasons. Parts will need to change around him. And we need a succession plan in place for the post Ben era. But we're not quite there yet. But if we do make smart moves and decisions, we still should be in a place to be competitive post Ben as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So, if St. Louis offered their two first rounds picks (2014), their 2nd round pick (2014--probably anywhere from 35-40), and their 3rd round pick (2014-probably anywhere from 65-70), you wouldn't take it for Ben?

"As long as we can"....​is probably this next off season.
    No because:

a. Totally unrealistic and unlikely example to make a point
    b. Most importantly I remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben and the numerous failed attempts to get a quality QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"